The Unmentionables

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought I was just about conquering the unmentionables and so went for a lesson yesterday evening to check things out and to get some direction on improving.

And blow me down. Did I not, from ball #1, hit s***k after s***k for 45mins - with the pro really struggling to work out how to stop me doing it. Indeed he told me that I had the worst case of the s****s that he had ever come across.

The problem is that the swing and swing mindset I developed myself over 3 decades without a single lesson are so ingrained that changing things is proving very, very difficult.

I was despairing yesterday evening - as to an extent was the pro as he rightly said his job is to stop me doing it - which he did with some little chipping exercises :)

Right at the end I said to him - let me hit a 3i - and my clubs are essentially blades. He looked at me a bit gone out as my 6i had been such a consistent s***king disaster. I said to him I bet I'll be able to hit it. I picked it up and belted the ball dead straight over 200yds carry (so the pro reckoned). Well at least that goes some way to proving (I think) that it's it in the head :)

Anyway. I will take myself out tomorrow with the guys in the roll-up and see what happens. I suspect I will be OK. But I have no idea what to do next. I await a call from the pro.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello there

I think the phrase, "I know how you feel", is used too often and is also exaggerated at times.
However, I absolutely know how you feel - trust me.

I am 'riddled' with them and in my relatively short golfing career they have plagued me like you wouldn't believe.
It's got to the stage where I'm convinced that there is without question a swing default - there has to be.
But I am also convinced that it is brought on by my mental state (due to the history of them).

I can safely say I have tried everything and several different people and I'm finally at the stage of accepting it and that this is me for my golf career.
I'd really like to walk away from the game, but at the same time I get too much enjoyment from the odd round I have where things go nicely.

I'm a similar handicap to you and came down quickly after taking it up. I have had a couple of level par rounds too so often get called a bandit. Unfortunately though, those rounds seem to be a thing of the past.

Sorry for the negative post, but I'm just letting you know you're not the only one out there suffering.
I'm still convinced there is someone out there for me who can fix me, but I just can't find them!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too have always taken a S******g swing onto the course, for many years I never really understood which of my many faults was causing it. My nadir was last year on a golf trip to Florida, 20 guys, 6 rounds in 7 days and I started shanking everything from Driver thro to putter, safe to say I failed to see the funny side of it.

Anyway when I came back I was doing the very same whilst playing with a mate who also had been struggling with them too, he suggested that I book a few lessons with a pro who is a member at our club. Anyway I went to see James and he took my swing apart and very simply ingrained into me an understanding of where my swing was, it was the first time in 40 years of playing that I could feel what was going right/wrong.

My S******g is NOT cured because I can get lazy and back it comes, however I at least now know what to do immediately to minimise/sort it out on course.

I have no idea what is causing your issues but it can be controlled so good luck with it.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
the socket rocket is not a shot that rears its ugly for me ,i think i have only ever hit three whilst on the course,so i cant comment on how to fix the problem ,however i have played with a few guys who have suffered the problem and watching them suffer i can fully appreciate what you are going through. its not a pretty sight to see and it will take a while to be confident over the ball again if my oppos are anything to go by. good luck with your battle.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hello there

I think the phrase, "I know how you feel", is used too often and is also exaggerated at times.
However, I absolutely know how you feel - trust me.

I am 'riddled' with them and in my relatively short golfing career they have plagued me like you wouldn't believe.
It's got to the stage where I'm convinced that there is without question a swing default - there has to be.
But I am also convinced that it is brought on by my mental state (due to the history of them).

I can safely say I have tried everything and several different people and I'm finally at the stage of accepting it and that this is me for my golf career.
I'd really like to walk away from the game, but at the same time I get too much enjoyment from the odd round I have where things go nicely.

I'm a similar handicap to you and came down quickly after taking it up. I have had a couple of level par rounds too so often get called a bandit. Unfortunately though, those rounds seem to be a thing of the past.

Sorry for the negative post, but I'm just letting you know you're not the only one out there suffering.
I'm still convinced there is someone out there for me who can fix me, but I just can't find them!

That's just how I feel. I stand there and watch every other golfer on the course and on the practice ground - of whatever handicap - quite happily hitting balls without too much effort. And I can't. Well yesterday evening I couldn't. I got down to 6 h/cap with my learnt swing. It was grooved beautifully but I knew there was something wrong (I was in denial but I knew that I did not do a hip turn on the back swing - when I tried - hopeless - so I just didn't bother)

But after not playing much for near 8 years I came out of that 'groove' - to discover I never actually was in a 'groove' - I was very deftly walking a tightrope. You can come out of a groove and find your way back into it without too much pain - but when you fall off a tightrope you can get hurt and with the confidence that is lost will struggle to get back on it - though why you would want to be walking a tightrope when you don't have to - and if you do get back on the tightrope there is a very good chance that you will continue to fall off.

And so that is where I am today. Let's see what happens when I get on the course tomorrow - as I haven't been doing it much at all over the last few rounds. But on the practice ground last night - maybe it was the Practice Ground.

BTW - my pro spotted immediately what I was doing, but really struggled to find something that my head and my body would allow me to do to stop doing it. I knew what he was telling me to do - I just couldn't do it.

Anyway - a 1st world problem and worse things happen to folks at sea.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it so strange that an 8 handicapper would have this problem. I've not had a major issue with it myself, touch wood, except at the driving range really. I had a short spell late last year where at the driving range twice in a row I had a bout of it, but not on the course at all, bar maybe one shot. Preferable that way than the other way round!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find it so strange that an 8 handicapper would have this problem. I've not had a major issue with it myself, touch wood, except at the driving range really. I had a short spell late last year where at the driving range twice in a row I had a bout of it, but not on the course at all, bar maybe one shot. Preferable that way than the other way round!

why would you think it strange an 8 handicap had the shermans??

My handicap is half that and have the odd one now and again, and i guy i know off plus fig has them at the moment..I've also seen plenty of Pro's hit then as well. Have a look on Youtube a few good examples even Henrik Stenson hitting a few

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

At the moment they are what is stopping me get lower.

I know how to get a ball round a golf course; my driving, fairway wood, hybrid, long irons (3/4), wedges, chipping and putting are all pretty darned good; my course management and recovery are all pretty good. And in any round I might only do one serious baddy with a 5i-9i...others not so far away but not killing me.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
why would you think it strange an 8 handicap had the shermans??

My handicap is half that and have the odd one now and again, and i guy i know off plus fig has them at the moment..I've also seen plenty of Pro's hit then as well. Have a look on Youtube a few good examples even Henrik Stenson hitting a few
Yeah one or two. He's making sound like he's shanking his way round the entire course though. He said he hit 45 minutes worth of them. I'm not saying he can't have them, I'm just saying reading it is eye-opening for me that even someone who is single handicap can have a game-killing issue.

I supposed it's like when pro darts players get Dartitis and whatnot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah one or two. He's making sound like he's shanking his way round the entire course though. He said he hit 45 minutes worth of them. I'm not saying he can't have them, I'm just saying reading it is eye-opening for me that even someone who is single handicap can have a game-killing issue.

I supposed it's like when pro darts players get Dartitis and whatnot.

That's the problem - I'm not. But it is still there occasionally - ever other round I'll throw in a real baddie or two.

And so I went for the lesson last night to check out why it was still happening whilst my game seemed generally OK (back 9 last Saturday I knocked it round in 2 over gross - courtesy of a careless 5 on a Par 3) - but last night from the word go I did it and just could not stop doing it...

Aaaargh....

But as I have said - it might well be just Practice Ground stuff - trying to get my body to do things that feel alien to me and my head telling me and my body to do what I have done for the last 35yrs.

Maybe it's just the practice ground. As well as never having had lessons while learning the game, I have never practiced (as I didn't know what to practice). My practice has only ever been when playing. the practice ground and proper practice and lessons feel alien to me...

Ach well.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's the problem - I'm not. But it is still there occasionally - ever other round I'll throw in a real baddie or two.

And so I went for the lesson last night to check out why it was still happening whilst my game seemed generally OK (back 9 last Saturday I knocked it round in 2 over gross - courtesy of a careless 5 on a Par 3) - but last night from the word go I did it and just could not stop doing it...

Aaaargh....

But as I have said - it might well be just Practice Ground stuff - trying to get my body to do things that feel alien to me and my head telling me and my body to do what I have done for the last 35yrs.

Maybe it's just the practice ground. As well as never having had lessons while learning the game, I have never practiced (as I didn't know what to practice). My practice has only ever been when playing. the practice ground and proper practice and lessons feel alien to me...

Ach well.

was this on a mat or in a net?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Spend less time in the Brexit thread and more time on the practice ground ;)

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
That's just how I feel. I stand there and watch every other golfer on the course and on the practice ground - of whatever handicap - quite happily hitting balls without too much effort. And I can't. Well yesterday evening I couldn't. I got down to 6 h/cap with my learnt swing. It was grooved beautifully but I knew there was something wrong (I was in denial but I knew that I did not do a hip turn on the back swing - when I tried - hopeless - so I just didn't bother)

But after not playing much for near 8 years I came out of that 'groove' - to discover I never actually was in a 'groove' - I was very deftly walking a tightrope. You can come out of a groove and find your way back into it without too much pain - but when you fall off a tightrope you can get hurt and with the confidence that is lost will struggle to get back on it - though why you would want to be walking a tightrope when you don't have to - and if you do get back on the tightrope there is a very good chance that you will continue to fall off.

And so that is where I am today. Let's see what happens when I get on the course tomorrow - as I haven't been doing it much at all over the last few rounds. But on the practice ground last night - maybe it was the Practice Ground.

BTW - my pro spotted immediately what I was doing, but really struggled to find something that my head and my body would allow me to do to stop doing it. I knew what he was telling me to do - I just couldn't do it.

Anyway - a 1st world problem and worse things happen to folks at sea.

Well there you go. You sound almost a carbon copy of me!
All the fixes I’ve had so far have temporarily worked and I can genuinely say that I’ve worked on them too - even the pro has said.
But, they return.
Played this afternoon and at another low. Can’t see it continuing like this so something needs to give!

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Can u get a video of these shanks? Would like to see what you do.

I don’t have any videos but mine are one of two things:
1. Hands moving forward on downswing presenting the hosel.
2. Not clearing my hips and nowhere for my hands to go.

I know exactly what to do but my mental game is that poor that I control my body now.
It’s deep routed and not sure repairable any more

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Feel your pain, it's a terrible affliction

I'd just hit loads out the toe til you forget about it

Certainly wouldn't get any more technical than that

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Post up a video Hugh. The experts will tell you what you are doing wrong, and the rest of us can have a little snigger.;)

I had a lesson with Graham at Farnham years ago. Shanked the first five or six balls into the gardens. He wouldn't let me hit another ball, but just worked on my initial take away. It was so far on the inside, but I couldn't stop doing it. It was only when someone later said try and fade the ball, that it clicked.