The Teacher and his Girl Friend

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I do agree with you.

The issue here is first to ensure the safety of the girl, then to minimise the impact of this escapade on her life. The jaunt to France part is really somewhat irrelevant, except to the sentence teacher will get, in my opinion. If nobody had heard this story, and they had returned to the UK after a few days or weeks, it would have been very likely that no harm would have come to her, and she would have returned to her normal life, albeit perhaps grounded until she was 21, he goes off to jail and she forgets about him. But now, except the media has now made her a celebrity of sorts and her name will become a punchline in a Frankie Boyle joke and her reputation and credibility is destroyed. If any real harm comes to her, it will probably be because of the publicity and salacious coverage by the gutter press. The lurid coverage also makes it more difficult for them to come back.

The age of consent in France is higher where someone has authority over the victim.

:thup: spot on sir. Not enough thought about impact the publicity will have on her - not that bothered about the bloke but still have my concerns for him.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I find it a bit strange that the ITN news keeps referring to "the couple" which I think is the wrong message to send out as it suggests a normal, loving relationship.

I also think it's been given a bit more coverage than it merits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find it a bit strange that the ITN news keeps referring to "the couple" which I think is the wrong message to send out as it suggests a normal, loving relationship.

I also think it's been given a bit more coverage than it merits.

:thup: It's a very important personal and perhaps local story - given the circumstances of the school - and yes - the way the media reports the story absolutely does shape perception. So 'couple'? Yes there are two of them so a couple - however...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could really go to town on this topic, but t.b.h. I'm really not that fussed.

I just hope it works out well for her safety and well being.

Strikes me as another chance to make relatively unimportant news (apart from her and her family of course) story of the moment.

I feel it's kind of sad for both of them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I could really go to town on this topic, but t.b.h. I'm really not that fussed.

I just hope it works out well for her safety and well being.

Strikes me as another chance to make relatively unimportant news (apart from her and her family of course) story of the moment.

I feel it's kind of sad for both of them.

Yup - absolutely with you on that mate - the coverage is making a difficult situation a lot worse. I pray things turn out OK for both (or at least as OK as he deserves)

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Something else comes out of this that sums up what is wrong with this country:

Terry Boatwright, executive head teacher at the school, said: "Bishop Bell School has a robust safeguarding policy in place, takes safeguarding very seriously and the effectiveness of its safeguarding procedures is rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted."

So, the school has a robust safeguarding policy and Ofsted rated their safguarding procedures as "Outstanding"? I wonder how the outstanding rating was measured, a questionnaire perhaps? Did they take into account the school's PE teacher jailed for 7 years for grooming kids or the priest on the board of governors who is up on 38 counts of alleged child molestation.

I wonder what a school would have to do to have a "Dreadful" rating for their safeguarding policy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say for himself - his defence counsel made it sound like there was quite a bit to come out that we don't know. Wonder if she'll testify against him.