The Swilken Bridge fascination.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My young lad is currently setting up for the Senior open next week and is amazed by folks fascination of it, just a little bridge he says.

I suspect this week there are a lot more getting their pic taken than usual but, it's just a little bridge...right ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bless him! It's a famous landmark, very famous in fact.... if you care about golf.

Just think about all the greats who have walked over that Bridge, and those who have given their final wave to an Open Gallery from there............. pay your money and you can take the same walk! One of the great things about the sport.... or show up on Sunday and kick your football over it! :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My young lad is currently setting up for the Senior open next week and is amazed by folks fascination of it, just a little bridge he says.

I suspect this week there are a lot more getting their pic taken than usual but, it's just a little bridge...right ?

From a width and span point of view, totally agree with him, cant even get one car over it.:thup:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is an iconic spot in golf - probably the most iconic of them all. Each time I have played there, I have had my picture taken on it. Every great golfer in the history of the game has walked over it and you get to do the same.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s overrated, it’s not even the best bridge in St Andrews. To claim it’s the top bridge in the U.K. & Ireland is a nonsense. It’s nothing compared to the Humber bridge or the bridge over the river Kwai IMO. ;)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think it’s overrated, it’s not even the best bridge in St Andrews. To claim it’s the top bridge in the U.K. & Ireland is a nonsense. It’s nothing compared to the Humber bridge or the bridge over the river Kwai IMO. ;)

Now that made me giggle :whoo:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It is an iconic spot in golf - probably the most iconic of them all. Each time I have played there, I have had my picture taken on it. Every great golfer in the history of the game has walked over it and you get to do the same.

This!

Sure it's a didly li'l bridge, but just remember all the great golfers who have walked over it! It's one of very few places in golf, 1st Tees excepted, where that can truly be said!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think the Severn Road bridge takes some beating. A fine bit of engineering. For walking over I would suggest the Gateshead Millennium bridge takes some topping.

In golf terms bridges are just awkward things to get your trolley over. I haven't been to St. Andrews so the whole Old Course, Swilken Bridge thing has not floated my boat to this point. May be when you are there it is different. I do get the point about it being a photo moment. I guess it is a bit like getting your picture taken on the zebra crossing by Abbey Road. The spot is nothing without the history but throw the history in and it works for many people.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the Severn Road bridge takes some beating. A fine bit of engineering. For walking over I would suggest the Gateshead Millennium bridge takes some topping.

In golf terms bridges are just awkward things to get your trolley over. I haven't been to St. Andrews so the whole Old Course, Swilken Bridge thing has not floated my boat to this point. May be when you are there it is different. I do get the point about it being a photo moment. I guess it is a bit like getting your picture taken on the zebra crossing by Abbey Road. The spot is nothing without the history but throw the history in and it works for many people.

Bridges are easier to get your trolley over rather than pushing it through the river.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To claim it’s the top bridge in the U.K. & Ireland is a nonsense. It’s nothing compared to the Humber bridge or the bridge over the river Kwai IMO. ;)

Not even the best in Scotland. The Forth bridges are more impressive IMO 😐

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bridges are easier to get your trolley over rather than pushing it through the river.

That is a very fair point well made. The old stone bridges do not have a smooth approach though. They were designed for golfers carrying their clubs, not for trolleys. I don't think suggesting replacing the Swilken bridge with a new smoother 2018 version will get past the committee mind :D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

For me, it’s like an amateur footballer being able to play Wembley, or Hampden/Ibrox, or an amateur cricketer being at Lords.

Call it walking up the steps at Wembley.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played the OC once and of course I walked over it - because you just have to as you absolutely know that you really are walking in the footsteps of the greats.

But I didn't get my photo taken - I don't need a photo to remind me that I have played the Old Course and I don't need a photo to prove to others - even if only I and my Maker knows - that's all that matters to me.

I might get blase about some things that become common in life - but I don't think crossing the Swilken Burn by walking across the SB will ever become ordinary to me - that assumes that I ever get to play the OC again.

I did rather enjoy my after round drinks in the R&A clubhouse main lounge - sampling their R&A branded whisky - and I have to admit that as the bottle was finished off by us I claimed it. It's upstairs in a box in the loft I think.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think a subway would have been a better idea, imagine Tiger and Jack doing a bit of grafitti on it as well.

Missed a trick there, I reckon.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Jeez, how long are the holes that are crossed by the Forth, Humber and Kwai bridges??? You boys must all hit it forum distances to get over those hazards :eek: