The stock markets

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dows losing best part of a 1000 points a day last 3 days and worldwide markets suffering to similar degrees. Overrreaction based on Corona virus or just the beginning? Hard to see Friday being a positive day, wont be many wanting to hold into a weekend when bad news could be coming before the markets reopen. Markets have had a good run, be interesting to see to what degree the correction is

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dows losing best part of a 1000 points a day last 3 days and worldwide markets suffering to similar degrees. Overrreaction based on Corona virus or just the beginning? Hard to see Friday being a positive day, wont be many wanting to hold into a weekend when bad news could be coming before the markets reopen. Markets have had a good run, be interesting to see to what degree the correction is
Would it be a correction or just scare arse running scared.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah , maybe some bargains if you're brave... I might pick up some more Lloyds.

Before the 'crash', i had sold some funds so was sitting on cash. Stupidly, re-entered on Thursday and the markets caught diarrhoea on Friday. Had it been delayed by a day, i would have been a very happy man

Go long overnight and then short as much as you can - cash to be made

How would you do that? What platform are you on?.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Before the 'crash', i had sold some funds so was sitting on cash. Stupidly, re-entered on Thursday and the markets caught diarrhoea on Friday. Had it been delayed by a day, i would have been a very happy man

How would you do that? What platform are you on?.
City index

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Because I now don’t dabble, not really bothered. Was always told don’t dabble with what you cannot afford to lose. Probably why I will never be rich.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm scared to look at mine but I'm in it for the long haul so I'll just have to ride the storm.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
toyed with going into cash but would be crystalising a loss so just going to ride it out, its time in the market, not timing the market :)

Absolutely.

I am an adviser and always prepare clients for the inevitable dips. Really I have no clients invested who can't afford to lose the money they will have lost in the last week and as Jamie says, time in the market is far more important. That doesn't mean they won't be disappointed, but they are investing with their eyes open to the perils and pitfalls of the markets.

Since Christmas Eve 1999, the FTSE 100 was at 6,946 (ish) which was an all time high. Since then we've had 2 serious crashes and another 3 or 4 minor corrections of 5% to 10% drops in short order. Today the FTSE stands at just 6,548 (i.e. capital values are now down over 2 decades). But £50,000 invested in a FTSE tracker in 1999 would actually be up at around £125,000 now (well over double in value) due to time in the market - compounding of dividend returns each year purchasing more units and genuinely accessing the profit / wealth creation of the companies that make up the FTSE.

A DJ tracker would have even greater returns on this period.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Scared to look at my pension pots today....

my pension pot is younger than me at the moment :)

Absolutely.

I am an adviser and always prepare clients for the inevitable dips. Really I have no clients invested who can't afford to lose the money they will have lost in the last week and as Jamie says, time in the market is far more important. That doesn't mean they won't be disappointed, but they are investing with their eyes open to the perils and pitfalls of the markets.

Since Christmas Eve 1999, the FTSE 100 was at 6,946 (ish) which was an all time high. Since then we've had 2 serious crashes and another 3 or 4 minor corrections of 5% to 10% drops in short order. Today the FTSE stands at just 6,548 (i.e. capital values are now down over 2 decades). But £50,000 invested in a FTSE tracker in 1999 would actually be up at around £125,000 now (well over double in value) due to time in the market - compounding of dividend returns each year purchasing more units and genuinely accessing the profit / wealth creation of the companies that make up the FTSE.

A DJ tracker would have even greater returns on this period.

i have the distinct advantage of having some cash in the child ISA. My old CTF provider was not online, so moved it to a ISA. Money arrived today and it is tempting to get into a tracker, but hoping to see how low does the bottom go. Since it is for the kid, looking at mostly passive tracker - for DJ, they currently only offer Fidelity Index US Passive (which is not a bad fund). Though BAILLIE GIFFORD AMERICAN seems to be the more #1 popular fund in the kids section. The challenge with funds are that they lag the markets by a day or 2, so hopefully i get enuf lead time to make that switch.

Last edited: