The Staffordshire GC

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m a member there, ask away!

I had a look at this the other day also, is there much elevation change, and could you name a few other similar courses in stature of the same standard? Beau, Little Aston, or just below, or a decent bit below? Im from the NW, so if you can advise any that I may have played around here or in Cheshire, may be a better course to compare against.

I also looked at Market Drayton (or was it Drayton park) as well - any comments on that.

Looking for a good course an hour away from Cavendish near Buxton, that may take visitors early Saturday afternoon thats good, maybe less than £50.00 and a "little gem".

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a look at this the other day also, is there much elevation change, and could you name a few other similar courses in stature of the same standard? Beau, Little Aston, or just below, or a decent bit below? Im from the NW, so if you can advise any that I may have played around here or in Cheshire, may be a better course to compare against.

I also looked at Market Drayton (or was it Drayton park) as well - any comments on that.

Looking for a good course an hour away from Cavendish near Buxton, that may take visitors early Saturday afternoon thats good, maybe less than £50.00 and a "little gem".

Woah, I’m out of my depth there! ?

In terms of elevation, aside from a couple of holes where there’s a walk up fairly steep banks from green to the next tee, the course has more of a gradual undulation. I wouldn’t say it’s particularly hilly.

As for other similar courses, I’d recommend Cleobury Mortimer (3 loops of 9) and hawkestone park which isn’t too far from Cheshire and has 2 good courses and a good set up.

I haven’t played the others you mentioned.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played there about 5 years ago .
Remember some good holes on the back nine .

Re Market Dayton, not one I'd rush to play, some very silly holes , a par 3 down a hill and you cant see the pin

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When are you playing Cavendish? I can then warn my mates ???????

Neeko1988

Visit site
Staffordshire can’t be put in same discussions as beau and little Aston although it’s a half decent good value for money course.

Cleobury Mortimer I don’t really rate at all but again is in the same sort of low cost course

Hawkstone is decent.

I have played most courses in the area and a member at lilleshall if you want to ask about any let me know

D

Deleted member 15344

I have played a load of the course around the area - Little Aston , Beau Desert and across to Hawkstone

We normally have an away day at Enville but we are going here because it’s a freebie for all of us so was just interested to see what people think of the course, layout , conditions etc

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played a load of the course around the area - Little Aston , Beau Desert and across to Hawkstone

We normally have an away day at Enville but we are going here because it’s a freebie for all of us so was just interested to see what people think of the course, layout , conditions etc

Depends what time of year you’re going. Currently it’s struggling in the wet/frost. We’ve been on mainly winter greens for all but a few days in the last couple of months. The back 9 is closed when it rains.

In a couple of months it’ll be lovely again. It’s a nice looking course, tree lined on most holes and it’s quite tough in comparison to other courses I’ve played. It’s decent in my opinion, hence why I joined. If I could afford more I’d join enville, you get what you pay for I guess!

Longest drive on the 6th, nearest the pin on the 4th or 9th.

Pro shop is pretty crap, bar is decent, reasonably priced and food’s nice. No driving range yet, but we have a putting green and a practice area with bunkers and chipping green.

Are you stopping over or just down for the day?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Maybe sickleholme near ladybower reservoir in bamford.
Nice enough but not beau standard