The road to recovery

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
As a new poster to the board, firstly i would like to say hi all.

7 weeks ago today, i had a bit more of a freak accident involving a golf cart and my left ankle, and unforunately the ankle came off considerably worse with bad fracture and all of my ligaments snapping! After surgery, 11 or so pins and a plate being inserted, I have spent the time on my sofa recovering, working, watching lots of golf, and getting very tetchy about not being able to play.

(I have also spent decent money on some new tops for when I can finally play again)

My recovery has finally started with plenty of physio and today I had the screw removed that helped fuse the bones back together. There's still a long way to go, but I honestly cant wait to get out there again. Having played through the summer in Dubai, I was hoping that the winter would finally be the time for me to get some consistency in my game, but there you go!

Was also hoping to make the Race to Dubai final next weekend, but not sure it's a great idea. Would love to go though.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble but just wanted to say hello and thanks for keeping me entertained over the last few weeks! I'll be sure to keep posting once I am back out there. My PP and wife, have both banned me from driving carts in future, so happy days.

Ross

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

7 weeks ago today, i had a bit more of a freak accident involving a golf cart and my left ankle, and unforunately the ankle came off considerably worse with bad fracture and all of my ligaments snapping! After surgery, 11 or so pins and a plate being inserted, I have spent the time on my sofa recovering, working, watching lots of golf, and getting very tetchy about not being able to play.

(I have also spent decent money on some new tops for when I can finally play again)

My recovery has finally started with plenty of physio and today I had the screw removed that helped fuse the bones back together. There's still a long way to go, but I honestly cant wait to get out there again. Having played through the summer in Dubai, I was hoping that the winter would finally be the time for me to get some consistency in my game, but there you go!

Was also hoping to make the Race to Dubai final next weekend, but not sure it's a great idea. Would love to go though.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble but just wanted to say hello and thanks for keeping me entertained over the last few weeks! I'll be sure to keep posting once I am back out there. My PP and wife, have both banned me from driving carts in future, so happy days.

Ross

Welcome along. Sorry to hear about the leg but don't rush it. Do some winter work if your medical team give you permission, if only a few putts or chips. If not, get stuck in on here. They aren't a bad bunch

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks! Just been advised that i can start to put weight on the ankle, so will be a little while before i can stand unassisted but will at least start some putting drills in the lounge once i can. Sure the wife wont mind.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ross

Ouch.

Did you try getting off the cart whilst it was still moving? Have seen a few folk have a lucky escape doing this.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
welcome to the site ,and dont be in too much of a rush with your ankle ,let it heal properly.
i have been off since last august with injury so you are only a few weeks in .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sounds like a bad one!
Welcome
I shattered my ankle 12 years ago and had similar screws and plates.
I was non-loadbearing for 9 weeks!
Hopefully you'll be back quicker than I was..
It took me nearly a year to feel strong enough to swing fully.
Good luck..

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
No, I lost control of it on a bit of a slope. The wheels kind of spun out and first reaction was to put foot down. Unfortunately foot got caught on the ground and basically snapped underneath the cart.

I'm pretty sure thats what happened anyway. Gone through it so many times and never been 100%, addrenanlin kicked in as soon as it happened.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I lost control of it on a bit of a slope. The wheels kind of spun out and first reaction was to put foot down. Unfortunately foot got caught on the ground and basically snapped underneath the cart.

I'm pretty sure thats what happened anyway. Gone through it so many times and never been 100%, addrenanlin kicked in as soon as it happened.

Sounds painful, having never broken anything other than a finger nail I wouldn't know how painful that would be. Hope you can get back to the course soon.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup Ross me man, yup can totally sympathise with the left ankle injury especially waiting for the adrenaline to kick in. It usually took about 20-30 seconds for my adrenaline to kick in . My ankle injury was similar to Rory's my outer ligament snapped and I kept going over on it for years. Had what was called a " modified Bostrum repair" . In essence cut you open grind a groove into you ankle put ligament back in with a loop and staple it in. Stitch it back up and the bone grows back over the ligament with the added protection of a few staples.
Re golf I tend to swing with my left ankle more open 45-60 degrees to the target so I don't over rotate on my ankle. Am right handed.
Re advice, do not over do any physio and take your time.
welcome to the forum.

DCB

Visit site
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've had a hard time of it with the injury. Talk to your Physio and let them know what you want to get out of the rehab. If they can help get you there they will. I had a serious accident and it took over a year before I could swing the short clubs, and another year before I could swing the driver and longer clubs with any certainty. I had my physio onside right from the start and they were great in giving me exercises to do to get me to the point where I could stand and swing the driver again. Still doing daily exercises to keep me supple and mobile. Without their input I'd still be trying to get back onto the course.

Hope all goes well and you get good mobility in the joint. All the best.