The repair of Pitchmarks

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
It seems I have been doing it wrong, I googled a picture and came up with the below!

%7Bccc4c805-6c79-470e-be7d-28bca6182912%7D01.jpg

Correct Method
Discard the loose piece of turf taken out by the ball
Insert the pitchmark repairer tool just outside of the back of the pitchmark
Lever the turf towards the centre of the pitchmark
Repeat this motion from all sides of the pitchmark
Gently tap the repaired area with your putter. This action stretches undamaged turf over the pitchmark, providing instant recovery

Incorrect Method
DO NO replace the loose piece of turf taken out by the ball. It will die and delay the healing process.
DO NOT pry up the centre of the depression with the pitchmark repairer as it exposes the soil and will delay the healing process
DO NOT insert the pitchmark repairer and twist it. This only breaks more turf loose

You learn something new everyday.

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Good post Parmo, although not as bad as not repairing your pitch mark repairing it incorrectly is also poor form. I was shown very early in my golf the correct way to do it. Your diagram has now confirmed it. I always make a point of repairing mine and at least one other.

Page

Medal Winner
Visit site
nice one parmo.

incidentally, someone mentioned that they took great pride in repairing any pitch marks' they made. i have to agree. it's nice to drop a 100 ft shot onto the green, nonchalantly strut up to it (poulter style) and casually repair one of the signs of a great shot...

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I used to play at Richmond North yorks as a teen and some fella showed me the wrong way and after learning in fact he showed me the wrong way.. I feel.. cheated. Least I now know and can over come this problem, I might have a field day this coming weekend and repair as many as pos ;)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Interesting, I read in one of the magazines a few years ago that you should repair the pitchmark like you're turning a key in a car ignition. Did know you shouldn't prise the turf up from below like, but this was news to me.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been told so many different ways to repair pitch marks...... i'm so confused now.

I have started to top my shots and roll them on to the green to save any arguements..... honestly its not my bad swing i just do it to avoid the confusion.

D

Deleted member 1147

Cheers Parmo,

Looks like I've been doing it wrong as well!

I was actually told by a pro once that it's better to use a tee than a pitchmark repairer - can't remember the reasoning now however.

But I've definately always lifted from the centre!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
There is a booklet from the R & A called "Don't be a golf menace" which is aimed at young players learning etiquette, I was going to order but for postage its £1.30 and I am a Yorkshireman afterall. I beleive reading the site that the booklet states how to repair marks and pitches on the course.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Superb, I can confirm that the above way is correct, always stretch the turf to the centre of the pitch mark and do this all around the mark. And spread the word, then maybe my members will get to hear about it!