The Renaissance Club

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just checked the map to see where it is, my word that is some real estate around there, never knew all those courses were so close together, Craigielaw/Luffness/Gullane/Muirfield/Renaissance/Archerfield...wow, there can't be many place like that anywhere in the country.

You missed Kilspindie, another cracking course and next door neighbour of Craigielaw.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
One of the great 'why bothers' about golf in the UK (maybe especially in Scotland) is that we have always (theoretically) been able to play in the footsteps of the greats of the past and today. Some very casual or non-golfers may watch and hear some of this stuff about the 'club' - or read about it - and take as confirmation that golf is a sport for the wealthy.

Yes - there are lots of counter examples and whatabooteries relating to other sports - but I am only really bothered about the image of golf and prejudices held against it which mean that, in so many ways and despite our attempts, so much about our game just seems to confirm the prejudices.

Any worse an image than a debate about where to place a rake?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've just checked the map to see where it is, my word that is some real estate around there, never knew all those courses were so close together, Craigielaw/Luffness/Gullane/Muirfield/Renaissance/Archerfield...wow, there can't be many place like that anywhere in the country.

Apart from Ayrshire.

User20204

Visit site
I've never played any of those courses I mentioned, I've only ever played Dundonald and Turnberry in Aryshire and as for east Fife, there is a reason why there is two bridges out of Fife.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Happy to agree to disagree, deffo not a pitch 'n' putt.

Less than 5500 off the tips = pitch'n'putt in my books. Will agree it's decent but it's not a cracker by any stretch of the imagination. An enjoyable evenings golf.

Not in the same league as Dunbar or similar.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never played any of those courses I mentioned, I've only ever played Dundonald and Turnberry in Aryshire and as for east Fife, there is a reason why there is two bridges out of Fife.

There are five bridges. Tay Bridge, Tay Road Bridge, Forth Bridge, Forth Road Bridge and Queensferry Crossing. :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any reason why the last group are so late in going out? It's basically 4pm, same as yesterday, but that gives a finish somewhere around 8.30 I would guess. Is it for US tv?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any reason why the last group are so late in going out? It's basically 4pm, same as yesterday, but that gives a finish somewhere around 8.30 I would guess. Is it for US tv?

On Radio Scotland they said it was US TV. Pretty poor that the paying public have to be there until about 9 last night and tonight to see the end. Hope there isn't a play off required as the nights are drawin' in.