The Range

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As many would know by my recent posts I'm fairly new to the golf game, well new in that I am now taking it seriously. Very seriously.

Hit the range 3 times this week, trying to get used to my new clubs.

I generally take 100 balls, start with my wedges and work up to the driver. I have a kind of process that I go through, 5 balls each for my 2 wedges, then going from 9I up to 5I I hit 5 off the tee, and then 5 off the mat, and then I hit the rest with my driver.

All my clubs apart from my driver I am happy with my swing and connection. Direction is good and I'm getting good distances.

My driver though I am still trying to get my swing right. For some reason it feels different then my other clubs.

Many of my shots are being hooked, and I know this is because I feel the club twisting in my hand once I've played the shot.

I also notice that my finishing position with my feet and body is still pretty square to the tee. So for the last 10 I made a conscious effort to fully pivot my feet to point towards the target, and I felt I was getting a more fulfilled strike on the ball.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track? What is the general distances I should be aiming for in the range, I know the balls are not going to go as far as on the course.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Boring answer alert.

Have you considered getting a lesson?

Yes, the range I go to is £15 for half an hour, and I'm going to book one for next week. I expect I will learn a hell of a lot in that half an hour, and I'm fairly autonomous. I watch and read a lot, I take it all in. I'm not going to make the mistake of thinking I know it all, I've played with my fair share of rich kids with posh clubs who are all talk, but I know with any sport, practice is key.

I think I'm at the stage now where I can strike a decent ball, I understand the mechanics to an extent, and now ready for some lessons.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get that lesson and then continue the practice.
At the range maybe once your warm up, at the course so you hit driver then 7 iron, the 3 wood wedge etc just to add a bit of variety and also simulate the way it is a little on the course where you don't just pummel 60 drives straight off.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get that lesson and then continue the practice.
At the range maybe once your warm up, at the course so you hit driver then 7 iron, the 3 wood wedge etc just to add a bit of variety and also simulate the way it is a little on the course where you don't just pummel 60 drives straight off.

Yeah I like that, so drive, then perhaps go with short iron like on a par 5, and then a wedge to the flag. I like that idea.

I quite like the idea of treating the range as a training aid and not like some of the meatheads we get now and again who are just interested in murdering the ball. :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I like that, so drive, then perhaps go with short iron like on a par 5, and then a wedge to the flag. I like that idea.

I quite like the idea of treating the range as a training aid and not like some of the meatheads we get now and again who are just interested in murdering the ball. :)

Dont forget Forum rules! Par 5 drive 350-370 then knock down wedge 140 tap in eagle...... :rofl:

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quality over quantity every time. I step off the mat after every shot and try and go through my routine rather than scraping another ball almost before the previous one lands. I use this (yes I know!!) http://www.mygripzone.com/ as it gives me a focus and by recording the stats I can see if and how I'm improving

I do the same, I get my stance and grip right, or as right as I know currently. Then concentrate on my swing. I had some lad near me the other day and all I could hear was him exerting so much energy on every ball. Didn't have gloves or shoes, or clubs for that matter, was using the range ones.

Think its important to treat it as technical game with areas to improve all the time, rather than just being able to hit a ball hard.

That grip zone looks interesting. Has it helped?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How does it record distance?

It doesn't. It's more about you picking targets and recording how often you hit them. Also has a separate set of drills for the short game and putting. Personally I'm not a long hitter and so never hung up about distance. Once I worked out my distances per club it has always been about trying to get it more in play of the tee and then dealing with the hole from there

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It doesn't. It's more about you picking targets and recording how often you hit them. Also has a separate set of drills for the short game and putting. Personally I'm not a long hitter and so never hung up about distance. Once I worked out my distances per club it has always been about trying to get it more in play of the tee and then dealing with the hole from there

Yeah that's what I'm trying to work out. I'm getting pretty much similar distances with 9I and 6I, not much to choose. Plus I borrowed the driving iron at the range and pinged it almost as far as my Driver.

I think the £39.99 is a good deal. Thanks for the link pal, looks like it could really help.