The Open - Golf hotel help

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for a hotel that (preferably) has a Golf course attached, or nearby

At St Andrews on Thursday and looking to play 18 on the Friday, before heading back south. We have a designated driver to get us to a hotel after St Andrews on the Thursday (not me :D:D). So can really look at any location within a 2 hour drive.

Ideally a location south of Edinburgh as it makes the drive home on Friday that little bit shorter.

No real budget, however closer to "cheap and Cheerful" than "Championship Luxury" if possible.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for a hotel that (preferably) has a Golf course attached, or nearby

At St Andrews on Thursday and looking to play 18 on the Friday, before heading back south. We have a designated driver to get us to a hotel after St Andrews on the Thursday (not me :D:D). So can really look at any location within a 2 hour drive.

Ideally a location south of Edinburgh as it makes the drive home on Friday that little bit shorter.

No real budget, however closer to "cheap and Cheerful" than "Championship Luxury" if possible.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I believe Lanark is nice mate.. and on the way home.Not sure about Hotels though, Maybe a Premier inn or Travelodge close by?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming you are going to the Norther West rather than East i'd suggest don't go South of Edinburgh as it leave a longer journey.

Lanark is the best in Lanarkshire but is around 20 minutes from the M74 and not really close to a hotel but it is a quality course, probably 2 hours or so from St Andrews

You could try Glenbervie which has a hotel not 1 mile away about an hour from St Andrews

You could try Dullatur (2 courses but if you choose here try and play the Carrickstone) which has a Travel Lodge not a mile or so away and right next to a very good italian restaurant - About an hour 15 from St Andrews

Both Glenbervie and Dullatur are on the main motorway link south.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gullane should be empty :D
There's a Premier Inn just off the A1 not far away as well.

*edit*

I'm so thick. I was a bit confused why my usual hotel in Perth was fully booked :D

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Deer Park in Livingston , although the course isn't that great. There's a Premier Inn near Hermiston Gait on the outskirts of Edinburgh with a few courses like Ratho and Dalmahoy and more nearby , also the new trams run from there to the city centre.So i've been told .:thup:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it was me and I had just been watching the Open I would be wanting to play links golf.
This leaves you with elsewhere in Fife, East Lothian or Ayrshire.
Fife will probably be full but somewhere like Lundin would be a decent option if not.
East Lothian is closer than Ayrshire but gives you a longer journey south. Gullane 2 though is a cracking course and great value for money. Gullane 1 and North Berwick are both fine courses but a fair bit pricier.
Ayrshire is a bit further to travel to from the Open but a shorter distance South. The Troon municipal courses are great value, Prestwick St Nicholas is reasonably priced and good fun. The better known courses like Gailes, Western Gailes Prestwick etc are excellent but not cheap.

PS
I have stayed close to all these areas in modestly priced hotels but am lousy at remembering the names of them, I usually use one of the hotel aggregators to find something.

Last edited:

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Deer Park in Livingston , although the course isn't that great. There's a Premier Inn near Hermiston Gait on the outskirts of Edinburgh with a few courses like Ratho and Dalmahoy and more nearby , also the new trams run from there to the city centre.So i've been told .:thup:

Good shout... there's a Travelodge near the airport as well.

OP could try The Green Hotel in Kinross, there are two courses adjacent - the Bruce and the Montgomery, and I'm sure hotel guests get a good greens rate. Good chance it'll be full of Open punters though now.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good shout... there's a Travelodge near the airport as well.

OP could try The Green Hotel in Kinross, there are two courses adjacent - the Bruce and the Montgomery, and I'm sure hotel guests get a good greens rate. Good chance it'll be full of Open punters though now.

good shout and two nice courses too!

You could always stay in Falkirk also their is the Westerwood hotel and course on the outskirts but coure not great :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We are staying three nights in St Andrews from this Sunday, and then moving to Stirling for the rest of the week.

Like an excited child that is very excited about something exciting.:thup:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are staying three nights in St Andrews from this Sunday, and then moving to Stirling for the rest of the week.

Like an excited child that is very excited about something exciting.:thup:
You're welcome to a game at Bellshill GC with us, we're 27 miles south of Stirling. just PM me.:thup:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I finally managed to book a cheap hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Nightmare (as expected) to book anywhere within 50 miles of fife

Just looking for a course now.

Any suggestions?

only criteria now are..

Nothing north of Edinburgh (well,nothing that involves crossing the Firth)
Sub £100 per head for the golf

I have never played on a true links course (shameful for a Scotsman, i know) so would like to give it a shot.

Thanks again for the help on this one.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I finally managed to book a cheap hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Nightmare (as expected) to book anywhere within 50 miles of fife

Just looking for a course now.

Any suggestions?

only criteria now are..

Nothing north of Edinburgh (well,nothing that involves crossing the Firth)
Sub £100 per head for the golf

I have never played on a true links course (shameful for a Scotsman, i know) so would like to give it a shot.

Thanks again for the help on this one.

Travelodge at Perth still had rooms available when I checked the other day mate.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did look at Perth

It was a toss up between that and the Britannia in the Capital.

Booked on at Mortonhall, not a links course granted but looks very nice.

Got a good deal on golf, buggys and food too.

Can't wait.

Buzzing actually!