The Open 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So with the announcement that Royal Troon will host the 2023 Open is that the final nail in the coffin that Turnberry has been removed from the Rota ( without being officially removed ) ? - it’s now been passed over 3 times ? And we all know why it’s not going to go there

Whilst it’s a shame that it’s not going back there I’m quite happy to see that the R&A aren’t going to pander to the desires of Trump wanting to host the Open. The minute it goes back to Turnberry without Trump then that’s when it gets The Open back

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So with the announcement that Royal Troon will host the 2023 Open is that the final nail in the coffin that Turnberry has been removed from the Rota ( without being officially removed ) ? - it’s now been passed over 3 times ? And we all know why it’s not going to go there

Whilst it’s a shame that it’s not going back there I’m quite happy to see that the R&A aren’t going to pander to the desires of Trump wanting to host the Open. The minute it goes back to Turnberry without Trump then that’s when it gets The Open back
Just wait - he'll be making it a condition of a UK/US trade deal :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Turnberry a great course and think it pathetic of the R&A or anyone boycotting a golf course simply because of who the owner is.

I think it’s more to do with what the Owner will do and how they would act “if” they got the Open on their course - there is a way to act and then there is Trumps way of acting. The R&A is imo trying to avoid any use of The Open being used as a political publicity stunt. Could you imagine how he would react if it was announced Turnberry had the Open

sunshine

Visit site
I thought Troon had got it to celebrate 100 years of hosting the Open. The R&A love honouring all these milestones. Don't think it's a deliberate snub of Trump (this time).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I would suggest that it now has more to do with the infrastructure than anything. The roads in and around Turnberry can't cope with the size of the Open anymore. The rail and bus links are poor. The impact it has on the area is a nightmare. Policing it and housing everything associated with the Open is a logistical nightmare and man heavy.

Until the road network is seriously and properly upgraded Turnberry will struggle.

Wolf

Visit site
I think it’s more to do with what the Owner will do and how they would act “if” they got the Open on their course - there is a way to act and then there is Trumps way of acting. The R&A is imo trying to avoid any use of The Open being used as a political publicity stunt. Could you imagine how he would react if it was announced Turnberry had the Open
Again wouldn't bother me in the slightest what he would do or say if awarded the open. The only thing that matters is the golf on display.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would suggest that it now has more to do with the infrastructure than anything. The roads in and around Turnberry can't cope with the size of the Open anymore. The rail and bus links are poor. The impact it has on the area is a nightmare. Policing it and housing everything associated with the Open is a logistical nightmare and man heavy.

Until the road network is seriously and properly upgraded Turnberry will struggle.

Turnberry is far better than what you see at Royal St George’s and it was only ten years ago it hosted it last - even if they upgraded everything then still don’t see it getting it

Yep, no story or argument to get into with that though ?

It’s a very good cover story as beyond St Andrews I don’t think it’s been done with any other course.

I believe an R&A rep has in the recent past - The Open can be hosted at Turnberry but not Trump Turnberry

D

Deleted member 23270

Turnberry a great course and think it pathetic of the R&A or anyone boycotting a golf course simply because of who the owner is.
Yes it's a great course but there are plenty of other great courses on the rota. Trump is bound to use it as a self promotional vehicle and the golf is more important than that.

Wolf

Visit site
Yes it's a great course but there are plenty of other great courses on the rota. Trump is bound to use it as a self promotional vehicle and the golf is more important than that.
I never said there weren't other great courses around, also I don't have an issue with Trump using it as a self promotion tool he owns the course so is entitled to use it for promotional reasons. Golf really isn't more important than that its just a sport that the best golfers get well paid to play. There are far more important things in the world than who owns the golf course and using it for promotional purposes.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

And quite rightly too.

Trump has taken a classic and made it immeasurably better than it was. He's had the boring back nine transformed into a great stretch of holes. He's managed to improve the holes round the iconic lighthouse. Its a tremendous bit of work he's overseen and funded. I was speaking to a Turnberry member last week who tells me that 90% of the membership was against Trump saying the course was a work of art and couldn't be improved. They're all singing his praises and thanking him for turning Turnberry into an incredible course now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again wouldn't bother me in the slightest what he would do or say if awarded the open. The only thing that matters is the golf on display.

It’s not you that is important tbh - the R&A don’t want to turn the greatest and biggest event in their sporting calender as a vehicle for political posturing - what matters to them is keeping it purely about the sport and the contest , Trump will ensure it becomes about him and not the sport

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you find what ive written rude I'd say your easily offended. But you're welcome to your opinion as am I and what I wrote is simply that my opinion.

Pathetic response and even worse grammar. Sort yourself out.
Just my opinion. Let's move on...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think, hope, it is slightly more nuanced re Turnberry. I dont see The Open returning whilst Trump is President but I can see it returning once he is no longer top dog. I hope so anyway, it is too good a course to be left off.