The Old Course, St Andrews

jedsta20

Club Champion
Visit site
I have just received vouchers for my 40th so I can play the Old course, but will be playing as a single golfer. Through your experiences, how likely am I to be slotted in with another group? and is it just a case of approaching the starter on the day you want to play as you can't enter the ballot as a single golfer?
Which other St Andrews courses would you recommend?

Bobmysterkaymer

Head Pro
Visit site
Bloody hell that a big change from townley! I played townley for the first time last year and was very impressed for a municipal course! I play Mytton fold! St Andrews will be a blast what ever happens! Enjoy!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went up in the October half term.

One fella was there from 3.30 am, another at 5.00, 2 others at 6.30. I arrived about 7.15.

First light was about 8.00 or 8.30 and the four in front were all off by about 9.30, I think I went out about 10 ish. This was midweek and in the autumn. I believe in the summer some are queuing by about 4 in the morning, I spoke to the starter the day before to gauge what was normal for around then.

He offered no guarantees, but can give you an idea. I think depends upon what time of year.

It only cost £100 then, weather was ok and one of the best days of my life (5 over gross playing off 9).

TIP: Make sure you take an up to date handicap cert (my print off was 3 years old, looked at my quizically, asked a few questions, but still let me go, Phew!!!).

nufc86

Club Champion
Visit site
sounds good, shame your on your own. maybe you could price it to add a partner? maybe save you adding on to a group or standing yourself from dark o'clock

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You'll be paired up!
i like the jubilee course - its quite short and manageable!

so many to choose from tho

enjoy!
;)

jedsta20

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the feedback. Just booked the hotel for the end of April. I will make sure that I get to the starter at sparrows fart.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You will definitely be 'paired' up. Arrival time governs order you go out, though slightly dependent on where the gaps are. You will be told by starter, who arrives about half hour or so before course opens, what you time will be, so will be able to have breakfast.

First time I went, I got there at 02:30 - and wasn't the first (by about 10 mins)! We got out at 11:00 with the next two that arrived at about 05:00. Had checked previously and that day was expected to be busy though. Rolled up once just before starter arrived and got out almost immediately.

Worth having a caddie as well, if not for each player, then at least 1 (maybe 2) in the group to show you lines off the tee and on the greens. There are loads of blind shots/traps to avoid that they should keep you away from. They may also be 'tour guide' types, which can add to your appreciation of the day too. Tip them well!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was based at RAF Leuchars at St Andrews for 5 years and had the pleasure of being a Links ticket owner which gave full playing access to the courses at St Andrews (including Old Course) for the huge sum of £650 a year......god I wish I was still there.

From my experiences you will get paired up very easily. I did it often enough to get a game on the spur of the moment. The New Course is fantastic. If you want a really tough test then try the Jubilee Course. That is a proper old school tight little Links course. The caddie is definitely a good idea as you will not have a clue where you are going first time around.