The long road....

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
....to recovery continues, but the 'end' is in sight. As some of you may know, I ruptured my achilles back in January and have therefore been unable to do much at all, let alone play golf since that fateful day. However, so far, things have gone very well indeed. On Tuesday I will back into normal footwear and out of my stinky, sweaty, restrictive aircast boot. This will mean the start of rebuilding the strength in my left calf (which has all but vanished :eek:) but I can see the finish line at long last!!! I'm still 4 weeks from being able to play but I plan on doing some putting and short game practice in a few weeks if all has gone well with the physio. Reading about everybody's exploits on the course has been a massive motivation to get back to it so that i can at least share my rounds, however bad they may be :D

My question is, since you started playing, what's the longest you've been out of action for, and how long did it take you to get back to scoring to the standard prior to your injury?

I've scrapped my goals for the season for now, and just plan on enjoying it and playing as much as possible. Roll on the 3rd May!! :) :) :)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had surgery for cancer on my tongue (I've never smoked - but I do talk a lot!) in December 2009 followed by 6 weeks radiotherapy in Feb/March 2010 as it had spread to my lymph nodes. Could only swallow flat coca cola for 3 weeks, couldn't eat solid food for 6 months. Lost 4 stone - but luckily I could spare it. :eek:

Started swinging a club again last summer hitting a small bucket of balls at the range. Played a few holes occasionally and got up to 11 holes by October when the weather kept me in til the New Year. Managed my first 18 in February and am now playing regularly again. Only played 4BBB but my last 3 personal scores have been in the mid 80's (think I was about 83 yesterday but the course is shorter at the moment).

I'm weaker than I was but if anything a bit more controlled and I'm banking on my short game keeping me competitive (sad deluded fool).

It was while I was ill that I joined the forum and it was great to keep up with the banter which I was missing through not being at the club.

First single comp next week.

Anyway good luck. Hang in there and do your best. Like you say it's not about goals it's about enjoying it. As I said to Mrs MN I just feel glad the grass is under mt feet not over my head. :rolleyes:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I've not had a lengthy time out but have missed a couple of weeks because of my MS. Feel for you fella but the end is in sight! Look forward to hearing tales when your back on the course!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Shattered my ankle in 2003. Didn't play for a year.
Was on 9.3 when I did it, restarted on 13.
I was playing to it but it's taken until the last year to get back to where I was playing standard-wise.
I now feel I'm a better golfer than I was then.
Good luck and I hope you're back playing soon.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
....to recovery continues, but the 'end' is in sight. As some of you may know, I ruptured my achilles back in January and have therefore been unable to do much at all, let alone play golf since that fateful day. However, so far, things have gone very well indeed. On Tuesday I will back into normal footwear and out of my stinky, sweaty, restrictive aircast boot. This will mean the start of rebuilding the strength in my left calf (which has all but vanished :eek:) but I can see the finish line at long last!!! I'm still 4 weeks from being able to play but I plan on doing some putting and short game practice in a few weeks if all has gone well with the physio. Reading about everybody's exploits on the course has been a massive motivation to get back to it so that i can at least share my rounds, however bad they may be :D

My question is, since you started playing, what's the longest you've been out of action for, and how long did it take you to get back to scoring to the standard prior to your injury?

I've scrapped my goals for the season for now, and just plan on enjoying it and playing as much as possible. Roll on the 3rd May!! :) :) :)

Achilles.....I know exactly how you feel mate....I had the very same injury in may 2009...Spent till the middle of july that year in a cast boot like yourself also...

My advice....Be very careful...Once you rupture the achilles its VERY,VERY easy to re-rupture it...
Take things nice and easy...Especially watch your footwork on and off uneven lies...

Did you have the surgery or go the conservative way?

Im 2 years after my injury and it still gets sore after rounds.There's still stifness in it in the mornings until i get mobile and walk around on it...I knocked the football on the head as the threat of a re-rupture put things into perspective as i have a young family and that length of time out of work just wasnt worth it...

The golf has been great exercise for me but i lost about 70% of the muscle definition it the injured leg and even now iv only gained back about 40 of that....

Do exactly as the Physio's dictate and dont push too hard..You'll quickly realise how much mobility you have lost in the tendon when the Physio's start to get you doing the stretching exercises..
I struggle a little in shoes so 95% of the time im wearing trainers as there more comfortable....

But the great thing is the golf is the best thing that has happened to me since that injury as i was devestated having to pack in the ball....

Best of luck with it and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. ;)

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
Thanks for the advice Kid2 - much appreciated! I definately won't be rushing things, just feeling a bit impatient about getting back on the course, especially with the sun shining!!

I had the op due to my age and the fact that I was planning on continuing the football when recovered but I've since decided to hang up my boots. The thought of doing it again scares the living daylights out of me so I've decided to focus 100% on the golf :)

I've already started little walks around the flat without the boot and it's not too bad, but am getting the stiffness in the morning (around my ankle :D) and it is very tight generally. Lots of physio to go, but feeling more positive than I was a month ago. Did you have the op too?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Right decision in terms of hanging up your boots. I really thought I'd miss footy when I had to give up cos of the MS but actually apart from the fitness factor I much prefer golf. Keep us updated on your recovery!

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
Shattered my ankle in 2003.

Imurg,how did you manage that?! Sounds nasty!

It's also funny that you say you feel you're a better golfer now, as I think this may have done my game some good in a weird kind of way. I've had more than enough to time to think about every aspect of my game and where I need to focus my efforts. It's also give me a real hunger to get a lot better. Whether that'll happen is another story, but I can't wait to find out. :D