The Independent Golfer

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Golf just needs to make itself more attractive and then clubs wouldn't need to be closing all over the country.

The limited publicity you see for golf is, more often than not, bad publicity.
What was the spur in the 1970s/1980s that caused the boom which was, dare I say it, mainly drawing in the working man?

I'm not going to argue all the points as they've been gone over before, but golf has such a lot going for it that it's a disgrace that its public face has been allowed to deteriorate as it has and many people now won't even consider the idea of just trying the sport.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Golf just needs to make itself more attractive and then clubs wouldn't need to be closing all over the country.

The limited publicity you see for golf is, more often than not, bad publicity.
What was the spur in the 1970s/1980s that caused the boom which was, dare I say it, mainly drawing in the working man?

I'm not going to argue all the points as they've been gone over before, but golf has such a lot going for it that it's a disgrace that its public face has been allowed to deteriorate as it has and many people now won't even consider the idea of just trying the sport.
personally i think the powers that be have been blinded by getting younger people into the sport which i think misses the mark. with an aging population with more leisure time, these should be the ones targeted... IMO

D

Deleted member 21258

Am I missing something, don't a lot of clubs already offer just membership for handicap/comps for a reasonable amount(ie. with no free golf) ?

I certainly held one for 1 or 2 years at a local course in Essex back in the late 90s. And fairly certain the local council course up here, does one for less than £100.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I missing something, don't a lot of clubs already offer just membership for handicap/comps for a reasonable amount(ie. with no free golf) ?

I certainly held one for 1 or 2 years at a local course in Essex back in the late 90s. And fairly certain the local council course up here, does one for less than £100.
Yes there were (are) a number around. I seem to remember something about the national unions threatening not to allow affiliation to such clubs. I don't know if it ever happened.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fresh in from EG, will it affect if you are a member or not

s.gif

A letter from our CEO
11 December 2020
For many years, the question of how England Golf (acting for and on behalf of affiliated clubs and county stakeholders), should connect and engage with Independent Golfers (non-members) has divided opinion and in some cases caused concern.

In particular, the pros and cons of offering an official handicap to an avid Independent Golfer (IG) community, who by choice or circumstance reside outside of the traditional membership model, have been keenly debated.

With the introduction of the World Handicap System (WHS) in November this year, the IG connectivity and engagement question returned to the fore.

However, the question posed this time had a very different “slant” to it, with significantly different repercussions, dependent upon the debated response and direction of travel chosen.

This follows an unequivocal statement from The R&A, making clear that one of the key objectives of the WHS is to provide greater enjoyment for all that play the sport by enabling as many golfers as possible (members and IGs) to establish and maintain a handicap.

In a letter to England Golf, The R&A’s Chief Executive, Martin Slumbers, confirmed they would support national governing bodies who deliver WHS handicap indexes to IGs in their own area of jurisdiction (country).

However, for those national associations who relinquished their single handicapping authority opportunity, The R&A would take the lead, either providing their own WHS index scheme directly or partnering with a commercial enterprise to offer such a platform.

This, of course, was a game-changing statement!

From 2021, IGs WILL be offered an official handicap in England. That is no longer up for debate.

The key questions now requiring expedient answers are as follows; who will provide it and how?

England Golf (our board, operational team and counties) strongly believe we should continue to operate as the single authority for all golfer handicapping matters in England, encompassing the ownership and creation of an IG connectivity platform which would provide a WHS index for as many golfers as possible in our country.

We also believe it would be a failure of our duty not to do so.

The handicapping system is unique to our sport, enabling golfers of any age, gender, background, disability or skill level to compete on the same course.

It holds such relevance that, for many, it is a huge part of their golfing identity.

Therefore, maintaining the integrity of our English handicapping system must always be a core priority.

For the past few weeks, we have been in discussion with our county stakeholders, looking to create the best understanding of how we move forward on this matter.

At our General Meeting on Thursday 10 December, with an overwhelming majority in support, we agreed that England Golf should rightly retain its position as the single authority for golfer handicapping in England.

In addition, we agreed unanimously to move forward in the most collaborative fashion on the question of ‘how we do it best’.

We will look to create a best-in-class, best-fitting IG connectivity platform.

Operationally, this would offer a WHS index and personal liability insurance to as many golfers as possible.

Crucially, though, we would look to promote and protect our members’, clubs’ and counties’ joint ability to influence, inspire and educate all golfers on club membership, green fee/golf day spend and many more imperative sustainability norms.

Delivering a structured series of communications in January, February and March, feedback will be gathered. We will then prioritise a consensus approach to creating a business model offering options and opportunities for golf clubs to engage with and influence IGs at levels of their choosing, ready for launch in the first half of next year.

In the meantime, on behalf of England Golf, may I wish you and your families a wonderful Christmas time, with hopes for a very different new year in 2021.

Kind regards,
1228264_jeremytomlinson002.png

Jeremy Tomlinson
Chief Executive, England Golf

s.gif

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fresh in from EG, will it affect if you are a member or not

s.gif

A letter from our CEO
11 December 2020
For many years, the question of how England Golf (acting for and on behalf of affiliated clubs and county stakeholders), should connect and engage with Independent Golfers (non-members) has divided opinion and in some cases caused concern.

In particular, the pros and cons of offering an official handicap to an avid Independent Golfer (IG) community, who by choice or circumstance reside outside of the traditional membership model, have been keenly debated.

With the introduction of the World Handicap System (WHS) in November this year, the IG connectivity and engagement question returned to the fore.

However, the question posed this time had a very different “slant” to it, with significantly different repercussions, dependent upon the debated response and direction of travel chosen.

This follows an unequivocal statement from The R&A, making clear that one of the key objectives of the WHS is to provide greater enjoyment for all that play the sport by enabling as many golfers as possible (members and IGs) to establish and maintain a handicap.

In a letter to England Golf, The R&A’s Chief Executive, Martin Slumbers, confirmed they would support national governing bodies who deliver WHS handicap indexes to IGs in their own area of jurisdiction (country).

However, for those national associations who relinquished their single handicapping authority opportunity, The R&A would take the lead, either providing their own WHS index scheme directly or partnering with a commercial enterprise to offer such a platform.

This, of course, was a game-changing statement!

From 2021, IGs WILL be offered an official handicap in England. That is no longer up for debate.

The key questions now requiring expedient answers are as follows; who will provide it and how?

England Golf (our board, operational team and counties) strongly believe we should continue to operate as the single authority for all golfer handicapping matters in England, encompassing the ownership and creation of an IG connectivity platform which would provide a WHS index for as many golfers as possible in our country.

We also believe it would be a failure of our duty not to do so.

The handicapping system is unique to our sport, enabling golfers of any age, gender, background, disability or skill level to compete on the same course.

It holds such relevance that, for many, it is a huge part of their golfing identity.

Therefore, maintaining the integrity of our English handicapping system must always be a core priority.

For the past few weeks, we have been in discussion with our county stakeholders, looking to create the best understanding of how we move forward on this matter.

At our General Meeting on Thursday 10 December, with an overwhelming majority in support, we agreed that England Golf should rightly retain its position as the single authority for golfer handicapping in England.

In addition, we agreed unanimously to move forward in the most collaborative fashion on the question of ‘how we do it best’.

We will look to create a best-in-class, best-fitting IG connectivity platform.

Operationally, this would offer a WHS index and personal liability insurance to as many golfers as possible.

Crucially, though, we would look to promote and protect our members’, clubs’ and counties’ joint ability to influence, inspire and educate all golfers on club membership, green fee/golf day spend and many more imperative sustainability norms.

Delivering a structured series of communications in January, February and March, feedback will be gathered. We will then prioritise a consensus approach to creating a business model offering options and opportunities for golf clubs to engage with and influence IGs at levels of their choosing, ready for launch in the first half of next year.

In the meantime, on behalf of England Golf, may I wish you and your families a wonderful Christmas time, with hopes for a very different new year in 2021.

Kind regards,
1228264_jeremytomlinson002.png

Jeremy Tomlinson
Chief Executive, England Golf

s.gif

Sorry, I started a new thread on this earlier this morning.