the hip turn.

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
It really is a funny old game...haven't picked up a club in 4 weeks, went up yesterday , zero practice, which normally is something I never do, went out and shot +7 which aint far off my best, admittedly a few winter greens, but tough nonetheless.

Soo.....I went out with one thought in mind, turn the hips to initiate the downswing, it was a tip a smashing lad at my club gave me, he said I was too focussed on using my shoulders on the follow through and ignoring the hip movement, so onwards and upwards-single figures next year hopefully!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good effort, I got myself all messed up last range session trying to concentrate on keeping the arms close together, right elbow tucked in, in to out plane and follow through. I hit the ball like I was playing pinyata.

I normaly only have one swing thought at a time and its normally in to out plane, I will try this again tommorow and see how it goes.

Got a lesson tuesday so be interesting to see what comes up.

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers Tony,here's the thing I don't understand, I worked my a*s off on the range over the summer, with decent results, but recently I'm Mr Midas- zero preparation, no time on the range, but mentally I was 'there'.
I had one duff shot in 18 holes yesterday, which is unheard of for me. Whether the hip thing played a part I don't know, but something clicked from the get go.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have days like this dont ya. Some days I will turn up at the club, use the range, use the green and get in the 'zone' I'll feel good and be sure that I am ready to break the 80. I never do.

My best rounds are usually the ones with little prep and no pressure. Just shooting for fun with a score in mind rather than on the card.

I take it you didn't expect muchg from the round so there was no pressure?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watch Darren Clark's swing to see how to use your hips. Agree with you guys, you always shoot your best score when your just playing for fun.

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
Tony, my rustiness usually comes in 4 parts: duff a few chips, putt horribly, snap hook drives and fade my 3 iron. So I expected a combination of the above, but wasn't concerned as I just wanted to enjoy being out on the course.

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
htl, what did it for me was the ben hogan video which was posted on here a few weeks ago, I just realised the emphasis on that area to start the downswing which in all my years i've ignored.

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
Also sounds like you're timing and tempo have improved from being more relaxed. :)

I think so.Using the hips instead of launching with my shoulders means I can't swing as hard, but probably generate as much club head speed. A couple of the holes I tried to hit the skin off the ball and still managed to keep my balance and hit a good flight. However next week might be another story... :D

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Also sounds like you're timing and tempo have improved from being more relaxed. :)

I think so.Using the hips instead of launching with my shoulders means I can't swing as hard, but probably generate as much club head speed. A couple of the holes I tried to hit the skin off the ball and still managed to keep my balance and hit a good flight. However next week might be another story... :D

See if you can't create some more lag - might scupper the whole thing but that'll get some more club head speed. See Mr Hogan. :D

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been playing really well for the last 3-4 months and looking to break 80 at my course. I then have a couple of weeks of not playing due to illness.

I went to the range straight after I was better and couldn't hit a thing....slicing, topping etc.

This was a week before I was to meet up with a few other forum members and unfortunatly these troubles can with me.

I honestly forgot my entire swing, and usual tempo!!

This weekend is my first game since then and after a few minutes with my mate....who is a pro I was sorted.

Only played 9 holes today and shot a 35 (+2)

Funny old game!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a range session today and all I focussed on was maintaining my height (see the reverse pivot thread and you will see my old habit). Yesterday everything was moving and none of it correctly or in sequence. Today I wasn't worried about the clubhead or where it went in relation to the takeaway but focussed on a "tight" turn making sure my hips didn't come out of the shot early (high weak fade) or that I stayed down too much (over active hands resulting in hooks).

I was smoking it especially my 4 iron 5 wood and driver. Like your hip tip I found thinking about something not actually swing related allowed me to swing with more freedom and produce better shots.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
On the downswing by moving the hips first the clubhead will get into a good position and in time hands nice and close to the body right arm bent at impact etc all equals to less effort more consistant shots and more speed,I always find when swinging well i never in a rush to hit the ball which is mostly down to a good hip turn

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It really is a funny old game...haven't picked up a club in 4 weeks, went up yesterday , zero practice, which normally is something I never do, went out and shot +7 which aint far off my best, admittedly a few winter greens, but tough nonetheless.

Soo.....I went out with one thought in mind, turn the hips to initiate the downswing, it was a tip a smashing lad at my club gave me, he said I was too focussed on using my shoulders on the follow through and ignoring the hip movement, so onwards and upwards-single figures next year hopefully!

Good round there and dont knock yourself about winter greens, although they shorten courses you often have difficulty hitting and staying on greens and certainly difficult putting, so damn good round there I think.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
My best score yet came the first time I used my new irons. I think I was so relaxed and expectant of teething problems that I didn't worry about scores and flaws, I just enjoyed the round. Totted it up at the end of the round and I was smiling like the cheshire cat.

Good excuse to but new irons more often?