The Grip, right handers, is your right hand on correctly

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We all talk about the correct grip and how crucial it is

For right handers we look closely at the left hand but sometimes the right hand is overlooked

My pull shot and pull hook has been caused by my right hand !

Club face was closed by a few degrees at impact because of the right hand

Is your right hand on correctly ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My pull shot and pull hook has been caused by my right hand !

Club face was closed by a few degrees at impact because of the right hand

Is your right hand on correctly ?

No, it's strong - as I posted in reply to your question about your pull hook - and you replied "I am confident of what causes it path and club face for defo, but hard as i try it remains"

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough, no. I've been working on a few drills at the range lately and noticed in a video playback I was very hunched. I started to address the ball with a mind to push my shoulder blades back a bit more and my ball striking became a lot more consistent, albeit consistently left. If the target was 12 O'Clock, the ball was headed to 11 or even 10:30.

I am 99% sure it's my strong grip with my right hand slightly under rather than over the grip. Changing my grip felt very odd indeed, but started to produce some straight shots. Problem is I've broke my right wrist twice, and snapped the metacarpal in my thumb in a motorbike accident last year so the correct grip is also a bit painful.

I will prevail though. :thup:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, it's strong - as I posted in reply to your question about your pull hook - and you replied "I am confident of what causes it path and club face for defo, but hard as i try it remains"

Thanks Duncan

I was amazed that it wasnt path but slightly closed club face caused by my incorrect right hand position

The flight was only slighly off target with a tad of further spin left and a low flight

To be fair i thought the left hand was more important and the right came along for the ride !!

My left hand seems spot on, but always had an iffy right hand position but has improved over the years but needs that final tweek

Thanks for your advice

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair i thought the left hand was more important and the right came along for the ride !!

IMO it should, but from time to time it likes to make 'a little contribution'.

the stronger it is the more this contribution will impact on first the club face (closing it) then it tries to drag the head off line and left through impact and finally, to really upset things, it will see if it can make the club head overtake the hands before impact!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO it should, but from time to time it likes to make 'a little contribution'.

the stronger it is the more this contribution will impact on first the club face (closing it) then it tries to drag the head off line and left through impact and finally, to really upset things, it will see if it can make the club head overtake the hands before impact!

Thanks again

Makes sense, its the more dominant hand for right handers but rather overlooked in its effect to the ball flight

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did and that helped confirm it

I really like Mark Crossfield and his tuition videos and club reviews

He goes into alot of detail and explains things better than coaches i have had live lessons from

If i lived in Devon i would visit him and buy him a pint ( plus book a lesson )

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
Funnily enough, no. I've been working on a few drills at the range lately and noticed in a video playback I was very hunched. I started to address the ball with a mind to push my shoulder blades back a bit more and my ball striking became a lot more consistent, albeit consistently left. If the target was 12 O'Clock, the ball was headed to 11 or even 10:30.

I am 99% sure it's my strong grip with my right hand slightly under rather than over the grip. Changing my grip felt very odd indeed, but started to produce some straight shots. Problem is I've broke my right wrist twice, and snapped the metacarpal in my thumb in a motorbike accident last year so the correct grip is also a bit painful.

I will prevail though. :thup:

If it causes you pain dont do it! Go with your preferred grip and change the face at address i.e. more open.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it causes you pain dont do it! Go with your preferred grip and change the face at address i.e. more open.

Absolutely the way to go.

I've often mention a seriously wealthy Golf addict guy I know (and who has a simulator somewhere in his huge house) who got angrily frustrated by the top-name coaches he went to to improve his game that could/would not take into account a number of physical issues (quite painful dodgy back being the main one).

There may be some shots that become more difficult but, overall, the benefits of the 'compromise' should outweigh the disadvantages.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sam are you saying dont change the right hand but open the club face at address instead ?

Surely this isnt the correct way but could work i guess

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sam are you saying dont change the right hand but open the club face at address instead ?

Surely this isnt the correct way but could work i guess

He is.

If there's something you can't do in golf because of a physical restriction (or pain) then that's one time that you should adapt your swing accordingly. There is no right or wrong grip... some are more favourable that's all.