The good, the bad and the funny

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Finally got out for a round with the new clubs today and I think only my second round in 2014.

The bad first, my short game was hopeless. Three 3-putts and numerous poor chips that left me far too far to putt to get up-and-down. I think I know where my practice needs to be.

The good, in spite of that I still came in with 89 (par 70) which would be in buffer. The iron change definitely made a difference. The push/slice has been replaced by a much better flight. Only issue is the occasional pull but that's to be expected as I've moved to +3.5 deg upright lies. Avoiding anything worse than a double bogey is a good result. On this evidence, there should be plenty of scope for me to have a go at breaking 80 this season.

The funny. Set up on the temporarily par 3 18th, I thinned my wedge approach towards the water. The ball pitched in the pond and, thanks to the shallow flight, skimmed off the surface and wound up just on the fringe. Two putts later and I bagged myself a par to finish with. I was chuckling all the way as I walked to the green.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Glad to hear the new irons are giving you a little more confidence.

If I had to name mine from today, they would be:

Good - Choice of 2. 1st a 3 iron off the tee for position on a short par 4 that found its way out of the screws and finished just short of the green :mad: 2nd would be a pitching wedge into a left to right wind where the ball rode the wind, pitched and checked at 2ft from the pin.

Bad - A 4 iron hit about 3" fat and a 200 yard par 3. The ball went about 60 yards :rofl:

Funny - Tee shot with a driver on the 10th flew into a conifer. Thought it had dropped but when I got there, no sign. Looked for a few minutes to no avail. I was just about to start the walk back to the tee, when I heard a rattling and then my ball appeared at the base of the conifer :rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First round with my new clubs too. Hadn't been swinging great since my lesson on Monday. Only got 26 points due to some horrific chipping and putting. Hit the ball reasonably well. Just missed too many greens but not by much. Still rusty as it was only the second round of 2014 but it is starting to come. No idea what happened to the short game. Thought I'd cracked it but today was a real regression to the bad old days and the head got screwed. I can see what I am working on tomorrow before the pairs comp with Hawkeye

The good - much better striking and directional control
The bad - chipping and distance control with the putter
The funny - Our 18th is 531 yards into the wind. Best drive of the day, nailed a 5 wood second and still had 155 yards. Into the wind hit a full 4 iron and still came up 10 yards short. Couldn't hit any of them any better

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The good, started hitting the ball with a bit more confidence. Hitting my 3wd pretty well.

The bad, nervy nasty quitty shots when I'm not happy with the take back.

The funny, laughing like a lunatic when my foursomes partner got the shanks. Shouldn't have, but heck, it was funny to me. It cost us shots, but heck, it wasn't me hitting them.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds like we had similar days Homer. The old clubs not liking their new friends in the bag and making sure to let us know it

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done with the new bats.

Played the monthly medal today with some of the best golf I have ever played.

The good.
Where do I start?
May as well be on the first! Following a stunning birdie on one of our hardest holes last week I wasn't expecting much today. Even with the lovely sunshine today we had a stiff breeze for the whole round. Down wind on the first so went down a club and hit it as sweet as I have done in a long time. Pitched on the green and just ran through the back. A great chip to 3 feet and a putt for a par which is the first time I have hit par on that hole in a qualifier.
Pared the next 3 holes. The may well appear in the bad section coming soon!
The rest of the front nine was pretty mundane but after the turn I started playing well again.
Short par 4 with the wind again so took out my 3 wood and creamed one down the middle pitching on the green and running just off the back. Chipped to 5 foot and sunk the birdie putt.
Onto the 11th with a tight pin position down the right with trees in the way off the tee and the wind off the left. I played to hit a high fade from the left hand side of the green to land on the right side of the green and feed down to the hole. Hit my shot of the day with the ball starting on the right line but the wind took it more than I thought it would. The ball pitched 18 inches behind the pin and spun back and right to be 8 foot away. Firm putt and it's in the hole for a share of the 2s!
Missed the birdie in 12 by 6 inches for my first hattrick!

The bad!
Has to be on the 5th. Wind off the left with OOB down the right and with my fade that can be bad news, very very bad news.
I aimed to just miss the trees on the left but misjudged it and hit a high branch which took all the pace off the ball but it did stay on my hole. The ball was in the rough and close to over hanging tree branches so tried to play a low punch shot that I topped about 20 yards. Pulled my next shot into some more trees, then another punch shot as the branches were in the way to just short of the green. As the pin was only 5 yards on and I was only a yard from the green I putted, which I'm terrible at from off the green, which came up well short and then lipped out the first putt finishing with a triple bogey 7!

The funny!
Had to be Gary hitting his first shot on the 12th onto the 13 th fairway, then hitting the overhead power lines and Scott throwing him one of his balls from about 4 yards from the hedge only to throw it onto the hedge never to be seen again! Gary then managed to 3 putt form 3 feet to put the icing on the cake for hilarity!

Played to 14 HC so hoping for a nice cut on Monday when the results go up!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The good. I got an unexpected 9 holes in this afternoon, par on the 7th for the first time :thup:

The bad. The other 8 holes....

The funny. Them said 8 holes for anyone watching :eek: still, it was nice to get out