The first tee

golferselbow.biz
I coach a number of sports and what has always struck me as odd is how different golfers and racket sport players approach their games.

The tennis, squash ad badminton players I know would all have a knock-up before starting. At the basic level this is to get their muscles warm to help prevent injury and to get the feeling for the court and environment. As they get better they realise that it is an opportunity to play each of the shots they would expect to use in a game.

On the other hand the majority of golfers that I know do very little in terms of preparation - most of them will have a few practise swings before the first tee. Very few would do as I would prescribe:

A gentle warm -up of the muscles first. Then hitting some drives, followed by shots will all of the clubs in your bag that you expect to use and then lastly onto putting practise.

What your experience and opinion?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a time thing, I think. A round is already quite long and the roll up and play nature of it just puts people off much of a warm up.

I definitely play much better on the back nine and that's nearly always down to being warmed up. I did make the decision to join a club that has a range attached and my aim is to hit a small bucket of balls before as many rounds as possible.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yip. 60 out, 49 back. Yesterday I was 48 out, 38 back.

In theory, that's about ten shots instantly lost. Ideally I'd arrive at least an hour before a round.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much will depend on the practice facilities at the club. We don't have much which really limits you. If we had a driving range at the club, I'd be there for at least 20 minutes hitting shots before any competition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always get to the club at least 45 minutes before my tee time for competitions and stretch, hit practice balls and chip and putt before my round. I use to do it before ALL rounds including Saturday roll ups but to be honest didn't see any correlative improvement. I do tend to stretch and use two clubs to swing and get things moving and will hit as many balls as I can in the practice net in these social games so I'm not quite standing on the 1st totally unprepared

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I think with raquet sports the warm up is part of the pre match routine invloving both yourself and your opponent. It would be very bad form not to warm up with somebody you are playing. It is also shown on TV so it is already in players mind as the thing to do. Golf does not have this so players are free to choose whether to get up early and warm up or stay in bed an extra half an hour.

Personally I always warm up before golf. Stretches in the house then range and putter at the course. I hit 8 balls each with every other club in my bag then a putting routine I like to get the feel for the pace of the greens but I know plenty of players that don't bother or just hit a few 15 foor putts and then stand chatting... each to their own :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Apart from a small putting green my club has zero practice facilites, not even a net!
Our first hole is a long par 5 where to reach the green in three, use of the driver is almost obligatory. This puts even more pressure on the tee shot
I'd love to be able to hit a few balls first but am limited to as many swishes as I can fit in while waiting on the first tee.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Apart from a small putting green my club has zero practice facilites, not even a net!
Our first hole is a long par 5 where to reach the green in three, use of the driver is almost obligatory. This puts even more pressure on the tee shot
I'd love to be able to hit a few balls first but am limited to as many swishes as I can fit in while waiting on the first tee.

You should try practice swings with a weighted club. I knocked one up with an old dumbell weight, slid it down the shaft (must be steel) and secured it with a sock (sounds rediculous I know but it works) Just take 3/4 speed swings then stick it in the boot before you go off. That first drive will go long and straight and any sniggers about the sock will be wiped off your opponents faces :).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played competitive tennis for about 10 years after football injuries took care of my first love of footy.

The difference with tennis and golf regards warming up is that, apart from the lack of facilities at a lot of clubs, tennis is a high impact game, where from the first serve you are running, jumping etc etc. In golf you can hit the first drive and take a brisk walk to your ball and hit again, which in itself will warm your muscles. It possibly pays in golf to start slowly with the swing whilst loosening up and to pace yourself over the 4 to 5 mile walk.

For me, different sport, different approach!

Chris

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Depends on the individual. If I spent 20 mins in the nets and 20 mins practice putting etc and then hit it OB on the 1st then frankly I'd be unlikely to recover. Golf is a very mental game (on all sorts of levels ) but basically I'd advise anyone at a club golfer level to do what they think comes naturally. Then at least their head is in good order on the first tee. Everything else is perhaps less predictable.

For me, a few mins on the putting green and a couple of swishes on the first tee is fine. Believe me I've tried more practice routines but it's never helped....but that's just me, not to say it's the same for everyone.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played a lot of tennis before coming back to golf. Would always warm up before a big match, and then knock up with opposition. Think i have a problem with muscle memory, as it took me about 15 minutes to get the ball over the net :( Once warmed up would be fine. Same with golf takes me about the same time to warm up, except i can't be bothered, and hit a few in the net and straight off. Wonder why i am a slow starter ?
;)

golferselbow.biz
Some good responses here! I must confess that what I preach and what I do aren't always the same ;-)

I do think that lack of facilities at some clubs can restrict what you can do, especially the quality of the practice greens c.f. the real ones. I'd love to have the time to have a practise 9 holes before my round - but then I guess sometimes that may put me off my round!

The racket sports comparison is interesting. At the top level the racket sports players warm-up before going onto court so then the 'warm-up' is all mind games.

I think as you get older, practice swings are essential - wouldn't want to put your back out on the first shot! If it's a serious round you then you should try and do a little more - it helps if you're confident you can play the shot rather than having doubts in your mind.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always try to arrive early at the course to hit a bucket and have a couple of practice putts before going out but my pal prefers ham and eggs and a pint :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
we have a range but it and the balls are pretty poor, probably do more harm than good. it's also some distance from the tees.
there are a chipping green and bunker, and a practice green right by the first so there isn't really an excuse for not doing something. only problem is that reading the pace of the practice green often has little bearing on the pace of the first - if you can remember it that is.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has a big grass range that you can hit your own balls on. I always arrive early enough to hit at least 15/20 wedges at a comfortable swing speed to feel a nice rhythm coming on. If i've got time i'll maybe hit a few 8 irons (cant be bothered walking too far to pick them back up) :D

Occasionally i'll bang a couple of drivers to fully use all my muscles but I wont bother picking them back up.

Off to the tee which has a practise putting green right next to it and i'll knock a few chips on to it if I can be bothered.

Then knock it straight into a big tree 80 yards up on the left :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a range but the balls are rubbish. I wouldn't want to use the energy hitting 50, or ruin any touch I might have by hitting pitches.

The chipping green is worse than my back garden, and the putting green is on a fairly big slope.

I would use nets though if we had them.