The European Golf Club - Ireland

AAC

Visit site
We played the European Golf Club in Brittas Bay Wicklow on Sunday afternoon, we booked it months ago and had been really looking forward to it as we were hoping it would be up there with RCD, Portrush & the like, certainly the green fee was ! On arrival we were a little underwhelmed by the ambiance but at least it wasn't heaving with 'overseas' tourists, in fact it was very very quiet. Booking in was quiet straight forward and the chap was very helpful, we opted to have buggies as we understood it was a toughish walking course and this was our 3rd round in three day's. The weather appeared as if it was going to be kind to us so all looked good as we headed for the practise range, this was out first disappointment, the balls were really poor and the practise area whilst adequate wasn't that great. Practise over we headed off to the 1st tee and were met by the starter (and owner/designer, Pat Ruddy) a lovely Irish Gent who had lots of time for us, gave us good information and had a bit of craic too. The view from the 1st tee was fabulous and we all good good drives away, phew !! The fairways were nice and lush and the rough was brutal, the bunkers looked spectacular with timber sleepered faces but for average golfers were going to be a challenge. The course continued to offer great vistas but we all found that as we went on it became more apparent to us that the course had been designed for 'overseas' guests who shoot 125 and come in with a scorecard of 75. There are a few very gimmicky holes like hole 12 which has a 120 yard long green ??? and there are also 2no optional par 3 holes making it either an 18 or 20 hole course.

The course layout did look great but unfortunately continually seemed to punish perfectly adequate/good shots, which I believe to be a bit harsh, as we moved on the course came out onto the bay and the wind was enough punishment without overly brutal bunkering 200 yards from the green. We played off the yellow tee's and there were lots of Par 4's around the 375-400 yard mark which got a bit boring.

My overall impression of the course was that it was visually very beautiful but was not a fair test for the average golfer, the clubhouse and practise facilities were average but the green fee was not, was it value for money ? I would say most certainly not, it appeared to be set at a level to impress the $ golfers. So its up to you, if its on your bucket list play it, but I believe that Ireland offers many better/better value courses.