The EFL Thread

D

Deleted member 35504

Unless I’m much mistaken, the Boro have the same 7 hour journey down to you. Think the last visit down there was after a match at Bristol.
Yes from memory you played them away in midweek then us on the Saturday?

I was there great game 3-3.

All teams that visit us have that once a season slog down here, but our closest match is Bristol City just over 2 hours away, even Southampton took over 4 hours in December.

The press were going on about Leeds having to travel over a thousand miles recently for a string of games, in the same period we did 2 thousand 😅.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes from memory you played them away in midweek then us on the Saturday?

I was there great game 3-3.

All teams that visit us have that once a season slog down here, but our closest match is Bristol City just over 2 hours away, even Southampton took over 4 hours in December.

The press were going on about Leeds having to travel over a thousand miles recently for a string of games, in the same period we did 2 thousand 😅.
Does the team fly or go by coach? There are certainly daily flights from Bristol to Newcastle, also flights from Exeter to Newcastle. The distance to travel stat can sometimes be misleading if you are taking the airborne route.

Nature of the beast for Plymouth, same for Carlisle at the other end of the country, and others obviously. Tough slog for fans, who certainly won't be flying regularly.

D

Deleted member 35504

Does the team fly or go by coach? There are certainly daily flights from Bristol to Newcastle, also flights from Exeter to Newcastle. The distance to travel stat can sometimes be misleading if you are taking the airborne route.

Nature of the beast for Plymouth, same for Carlisle at the other end of the country, and others obviously. Tough slog for fans, who certainly won't be flying regularly.
For our normal 4 to 5 hour trips I know the team go up by coach the day before, we bumped into them in Maccy D's on the motorway on the way back from Leeds which was fun, and often overtake them on the M5 on the way down.

Not sure what they did for Sunderland, I know a load of fans flew from Exeter and made a weekend of it, in fact for most away matches people are staying over at least one night. The novelty of that will probably wear off next season though.

Flying from Bristol doesn't really work, that's 2 hours or so, plus parking and waiting time plus hassle at the other end, not really worth it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Boro fly. Think they may have flown into Exeter before for Plymouth

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For our normal 4 to 5 hour trips I know the team go up by coach the day before, we bumped into them in Maccy D's on the motorway on the way back from Leeds which was fun, and often overtake them on the M5 on the way down.

Not sure what they did for Sunderland, I know a load of fans flew from Exeter and made a weekend of it, in fact for most away matches people are staying over at least one night. The novelty of that will probably wear off next season though.

Flying from Bristol doesn't really work, that's 2 hours or so, plus parking and waiting time plus hassle at the other end, not really worth it.
When I was going around the country watching Fulham we'd often make weekends away for the obvious ones like Blackpool, Newcastle otherwise it was first train out, last train back or supporters coach.

D

Deleted member 35504

It's so much fun away.

I was standing inside the door in Spoons in Huddersfield last month, texting my mate who swore blind he was also just inside the door... Needless to say we couldn't see each other but it hadn't occurred to either of us to check the name of the pub in case there were 2 Spoons...

Credit to the Huddersfield PA guy who welcomed us all there and mentioned the journey, definitely something our guy should do most weeks.

D

Deleted member 35504

Oh and don't get me started on Finn Azaz undoubtedly scoring a screamer against us on Saturday... 😅

Brilliant bloke though, quietly did a massive amount in the St Luke's Hospice in his spare time, much loved by our fans.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Oh and don't get me started on Finn Azaz undoubtedly scoring a screamer against us on Saturday... 😅

Brilliant bloke though, quietly did a massive amount in the St Luke's Hospice in his spare time, much loved by our fans.

I think the Boro got a bargain, especially in the January transfer window that is notoriously difficult.

D

Deleted member 35504

I think the Boro got a bargain, especially in the January transfer window that is notoriously difficult.
We didn't have any choice unfortunately, he was on loan from Villa.

This is a side of footie I think a lot of people don't see higher up the food chain. Smaller clubs often rely on big loan players who can be snatched away at a moments notice, we lost 3 in January.

Luckily we managed to get replacements in through contacts of the new manager.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We didn't have any choice unfortunately, he was on loan from Villa.

This is a side of footie I think a lot of people don't see higher up the food chain. Smaller clubs often rely on big loan players who can be snatched away at a moments notice, we lost 3 in January.

Luckily we managed to get replacements in through contacts of the new manager.

I think the first 4 names on the team sheet at the end of last season were loaners. They went back and although the Boro brought in, and bought in, new players for the start of the season it was a very shaking couple of months till players bedded in. And it didn’t help losing Akpom to Ajax - almost 30 goals last season from him.

D

Deleted member 35504

I think the first 4 names on the team sheet at the end of last season were loaners. They went back and although the Boro brought in, and bought in, new players for the start of the season it was a very shaking couple of months till players bedded in. And it didn’t help losing Akpom to Ajax - almost 30 goals last season from him.
We tried to sign Josh Coburn in the summer, he scored 2 against us.

Finn Azaz scored for us against you, what's the odds he scores for you on Saturday? 😅

4LEX

Visit site
Wing is a bit of late developer. Middlesbrough got him from one of the northern league sides. Broke through into the first team, literally straight from playing northern league, and had a good run of games. Change of manager and loss of form saw him fall out of favour, eventually doing the rounds out on loan before going to Wycombe(I think).

Good to see him doing well. He’s got a good engine and a great box-2-box player if he’s on form.

We got him on a free in the summer and have paid him quite a high wage for the league. He's been brilliant and played every game bar injury. A really classy player who runs the game and has a great range of passing. Very good long range shot too, as two 25 yarders in the last week testify. He's one of the 4 players that have salvaged our season along with Azeez, Knibbs and Sam Smith 👏

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Wonderful tackle that from Ricardo and he gets a booking. Good to see that a Premier League referee can officiate as badly in the EFL.

D

Deleted member 35504

What a game though!

We're only 8-1 down to these two on aggregate so far, and still got Leicester coming up soon :unsure:

D

Deleted member 35504

2 nil up at half time, could easily have been 4...nervous as heck now, looking fragile down our right back area...will those misses come back to bite us?