The Castle Course

D

Deleted member 17920

I think it’s about the most fun you can have playing matchplay, but if I had to keep a handicap there I’d be a gibbering wreck every week!
Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the round when we played it, I couldn't play a medal there as I would never get past the 17th :oops:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I quite fancy giving it a try, but evey one I know who's played it has been disparaging.

It’s tough in the wind for sure but it’s a good track. I know some moan about the greens being tricked up but I don’t get that, they’re undulating yes, but I’ve got no problem with that. Thought Mach Dunes were trickier.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It’s tough in the wind for sure but it’s a good track. I know some moan about the greens being tricked up but I don’t get that, they’re undulating yes, but I’ve got no problem with that. Thought Mach Dunes were trickier.
The other thing for me is, when I'm down that way, it's usually to play elsewhere and difficult to get the time to play some of these other courses. Fancy playing the Dukes, but I doubt if I would drop the New or Jubilee to play them

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both the Castle and the Dukes are unfairly criticised IMO. Put them both further away from the town and I think they’d both get better praise.

Both tough courses for different reasons and I always enjoy them.

Potential for a mini Fife meet brewing?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loved the Castle when I played it but as a mid-high handicapper I'm glad I was on my game.
Apparently the greens were made a bit easier, but hitting the right part was still important.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Both the Castle and the Dukes are unfairly criticised IMO. Put them both further away from the town and I think they’d both get better praise.

Both tough courses for different reasons and I always enjoy them.

Potential for a mini Fife meet brewing?

Lot of time on my hands at the moment, I’m in.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
So that's what the Castle course looks like! I've only played it once and there was thick fog and couldn't see more than 100 yards for 16 holes. Mercifully cleared in time to see the 17th green! That as a blind shot would be horrible!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played it a couple of times, 2nd time I had forgot to charge my battery and had to push my electric trolley round the first 9

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We had played the Jubilee and the Eden the previous 2 days (in decent weather) and I loved them.

Played The Castle early on the last morning. It was freezing cold, pouring rain and blowing a gale. The rough was penal. I hated it. The little bag they give you for your tees and markers was a nice touch though.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We played out last summer and had a great day - my friends who had no pre conceptions about what to expect loved it.
The only silly green was 18 - the pin was on a nodule towards the back which resulted in a certain amount of to-and-fro putting...

Albo

Visit site
I love the Castle course, I have no idea why people talk badly of it.
It’s a tough test of golf and if you
Go expecting to score you’ll be disappointed, but god, just enjoy the views and the condition and everything else.
Awesome course, like the Trump Aberdeen, seems to me like people look for a reason not to like something rather than taking it for what it is. Yes it’s not in the same style as the Old, New, Jubilee etc, but don’t judge it against them, judge it on its merits