The big name courses, are they all that ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is quite difficult to compare some of these types of course. Thinking about big name courses, there are a few different pots.

You have the grand old links - RCD, Carnoustie, Turnberry etc and anybody who doesn't think those are great courses must be playing a different game to me.

Then we have modern, usually parkland course created to hold events such as the Ryder Cup. These include The Belfry, Celtic Manor, The Oxfordshire, K Club and so on. These are mostly much inferior to the former group. The Belfry will never be a good course, no matter what they do to it, and at times it has been a dull forgettable slog. I haven't played Celtic Manor, but the word on the street it that it is better but not by a huge amount.

Then there are the courses who try to attract big money corporate events and high end green fee payers. They don't really want the municipal course crowd. These include Wentworth, Sunningdale, The Grove, Kingsbarns, my own club Bearwood Lakes etc. These vary in quality, but are mostly better then the second lot, but generally inferior to the first.

Then there are the quality 'hidden gems' although many are not so hidden these days. These include The Berkshire, its neighbour Swinley Forest, Little Aston, Silloth on Solway, Ganton etc. A mixed bag of styles, but mostly fairly priced, not so heavy on the luxury visitor experience, but where some of the best golf can be found.

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It is quite difficult to compare some of these types of course. Thinking about big name courses, there are a few different pots.

You have the grand old links - RCD, Carnoustie, Turnberry etc and anybody who doesn't think those are great courses must be playing a different game to me.

Then we have modern, usually parkland course created to hold events such as the Ryder Cup. These include The Belfry, Celtic Manor, The Oxfordshire, K Club and so on. These are mostly much inferior to the former group. The Belfry will never be a good course, no matter what they do to it, and at times it has been a dull forgettable slog. I haven't played Celtic Manor, but the word on the street it that it is better but not by a huge amount.

Then there are the courses who try to attract big money corporate events and high end green fee payers. They don't really want the municipal course crowd. These include Wentworth, Sunningdale, The Grove, Kingsbarns, my own club Bearwood Lakes etc. These vary in quality, but are mostly better then the second lot, but generally inferior to the first.

Then there are the quality 'hidden gems' although many are not so hidden these days. These include The Berkshire, its neighbour Swinley Forest, Little Aston, Silloth on Solway, Ganton etc. A mixed bag of styles, but mostly fairly priced, not so heavy on the luxury visitor experience, but where some of the best golf can be found.

Spot on!

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I´d certainly agree with those posters who were ´´underwhelmed´´ by Royal Lytham. Most disappointing golf course I´ve ever played!

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
The Torrance course at St Andrews left me feeling underwhelmed. Freebie, but wouldn't pay £120 to play it in a million years. It struck me as being an American idea of a links and completely lacked character somehow. A few great holes, a few ridiculous greens and many forgettable holes mixed together. We played off whites and with a bit more knowledge would easily have been in the mid 70's score wise. Think we both finished on 84 on a windy day. Maybe it's just me, but i'm kinda disappointed if a championship course doesn't chew me up and spit me out a quivering wreck

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
any one played Royal Liverpool, thinking of taking a trip as it was in the top 10 courses in England.

Yep,I played it on a fantastic day last October,blue sky and not a bit of wind.

Nice track but it did not have a wow factor about it.....it is unbelievably flat and the 1st hole is awful IMO,no rippling fairways here apart from holes 8 to 12 (from memory).It was in great nick and the clubhouse is beautiful but I am glad I didn't pay for it as if I had paid full whack I would have been a bit miffed at the pricing.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep,I played it on a fantastic day last October,blue sky and not a bit of wind.

Nice track but it did not have a wow factor about it.....it is unbelievably flat and the 1st hole is awful IMO,no rippling fairways here apart from holes 8 to 12 (from memory).It was in great nick and the clubhouse is beautiful but I am glad I didn't pay for it as if I had paid full whack I would have been a bit miffed at the pricing.

Go back and play it in the wind......

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Probably, unless it's really windy and some of the sand has moved....it's a links course, which is by some way defined as being 'flat' like some of it's counterparts....

You don't need to preach to a man who has been brought up on links thanks.

RL is the flatest bit of land I have ever seen a links course situated on,most have at least some 'rippling' in their fairways but this place has next to nothing.

I enjoyed the day but I could see why many folk regard it as the poorest on the Open rota.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I would back you up there.Kingsbarns is nice don't get me wrong but the way folk talk it up is over the top.... I wonder when Jezz will be along to defend it??!!:p

It won't be me along to defend it because I'm a little bit in your camp on KB. Don't get me wrong - wonderful setting, some great holes and a great place to play on a sunny, blue-sky day, but it's never quite done it for me to the same degree as some of the other guys in the office.

Some very interesting comments and observations here on a lot of courses and it's obvious from some of them that some people just aren't 'parkland course guys', and I'd be with them to a degree, although there are certainly some that still have a degree of wow factor for me.

One course I feel there is a fair degree of 'bandwagon-jumping' over is the PGA Centenary at Gleneagles, although admittedly I can't comment on conditioning out of season as I played it mid-season and it was fine. The holes the other side of the road adjacent to the King's course are every bit as good as anything on the other two courses IMO and you certainly don't get any holes like that crazy one on the King's with the massive mound between you and the green (can't remember what number, but fairly early on). As for the 18th, I understand it is being revamped for the RC, though I don't know in what way. Going up there in a couple of weeks to play the Queen's and will take a look at the PGA then, even though I understand it's out of action now for final tweaks/preparations ahead of the Ryder Cup in three years. It may not be a Top 100 course from our pespective, but it's certainly not as bad as many make out.

Only my opinion of course...

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
The PGA is shut for 6 months while the weather is not bad up here,passed it the other day diggers every where,i haven't played it but walked it at the Johnny Walker and i thhought it looked a decent enough track ,i suppose the proof is in the playing.

I'm lucky i've played St Andrews,Carnoustie,Loch Lomond,Kingsbarns and The Carnegie Club and not payed a lot out but for me nowadays i love playing the 2nd rate courses.

I love playing Portstewart,Castlerock,Ballyliffin (both), Dundonald these are courses which are in reach to the ordinary working man. Forgot to add Machrihanish in there and as a cheeky holiday course Millport on Cumbrae views to die for.

T

thecraw

Gonna do a wee Millport trip in November Steve, £10 winter green fee.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
It is funny how most enjoy the middle of the range green fee courses. I would agree on that. In reality the only difference between a great course and some of the major / big event courses is thier ability to hold the crowds etc.
I am not an expert on golf courses but the most enjoyable course I have played and played it in a hurricane was the Island. Ballyliffen x 2, Co Louth and the Portmarknock Links and of course Seapoint fall into the real good courses category.
Some of the hidden gems can be played for small money.
I tend to agree with Bobmac, were else can you play the courses the pros play on.
I would imagine St Andrews or Augusta would be the 2 courses everyone would agree with is worth the top dollar.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We should just consider ourselves lucky that we are in the position we are. Imagine if we were members of one of the "Big Name Courses" we wouldn't have this problem as every other course wouldn't be as good as our own.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It won't be me along to defend it because I'm a little bit in your camp on KB. Don't get me wrong - wonderful setting, some great holes and a great place to play on a sunny, blue-sky day, but it's never quite done it for me to the same degree as some of the other guys in the office.

Some very interesting comments and observations here on a lot of courses and it's obvious from some of them that some people just aren't 'parkland course guys', and I'd be with them to a degree, although there are certainly some that still have a degree of wow factor for me.

One course I feel there is a fair degree of 'bandwagon-jumping' over is the PGA Centenary at Gleneagles, although admittedly I can't comment on conditioning out of season as I played it mid-season and it was fine. The holes the other side of the road adjacent to the King's course are every bit as good as anything on the other two courses IMO and you certainly don't get any holes like that crazy one on the King's with the massive mound between you and the green (can't remember what number, but fairly early on). As for the 18th, I understand it is being revamped for the RC, though I don't know in what way. Going up there in a couple of weeks to play the Queen's and will take a look at the PGA then, even though I understand it's out of action now for final tweaks/preparations ahead of the Ryder Cup in three years. It may not be a Top 100 course from our pespective, but it's certainly not as bad as many make out.

Only my opinion of course...

Agree re the holes you mention on the PGA Jezz,some cracking holes but after about the 8th? It goes very much the much for me.

Take your wellies for the Queens,I was there a fortnight back and it was drookit,greens were like sponges,hell I was even getting screwback with a 5 iron!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its a good job I went out with a lass from Lesmahagow a few years back and read Oor Wullie and the Broons so I could intrepret/understand some of the words her and her family used. It comes in very handy on this forum :D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably, unless it's really windy and some of the sand has moved....it's a links course, which is by some way defined as being 'flat' like some of it's counterparts....

Go and play at Enniscrone in Co Mayo, some of the dunes are over 150 feet high!! Links land being flat, your having a laugh.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only "big" course I have played was the emirates in Dubai and it was a smashing experience, really enjoyed it would gladly pay the green fee again.