The big name courses, are they all that ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies for quoting myself but I've just checked the St Mellion website and if I wanted to play there on Sunday I could get on for £53.00 at 1.00pm as a visitor.
Bearing in mind this courses reputation, I think that is a cracking deal for a visitor greenfee on a Sunday and if I lived within striking distance of the course would be booking it up now (obviously after studying the weather forecast!).

Now that's more like it - although at this time of year it might be dark by the time you finish :)

T

thecraw

Steve free golf is always good golf that I will admit. I think KB is a good course, I did enjoy it however I had built up a picture in my mind that this was going to be the best golfing experience in my life before I played it. I had such high hopes from the rave reviews that everyone was giving the place.

If I'm being honest I thought alot of the holes were fairly average with a few crackers thrown in. I would love to play it again to see if I still feel that way or whether I got it as wrong as I got Kilmarnock Barassie.

Royal Troon is a course that I managed to get a freebie on through a corporate invite (right place, right time) and it was a fabulous experience. It's the toughest course I've ever played. The back nine at Troon is a tough old boot into that wind. I rate it harder than Carnoustie. Would I pay a green fee? Would I heck!

Whoever said Loch Lomond, was vastly over rated needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Its simply awesome, the expewrience, surrounding and service is second to none. The course is simply exquisite.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Valderrama is the only "big" course I remember being a little underwhelmed by.

Not bad by any means, but just a bit... "meh".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Kingsbarns I've just discovered is £185 for a single greenfee in the summer
St Andrews Old Course is £140 for a single greenfee in the summer :eek:

I guess the "Big courses" charge for the experience of walking and playing where the greats have walked.
To take on the roadhole bunker or the valley of sin has got to be an experience to cherish or to try and draw one round the corner at Wentworth's 17th has got to be fun.
Where else in sport can you play the big venues ?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bob am I right in saying all pro's have the courtesy of any course in the land? seem to remember a pro telling me that many many years ago in a land far far away

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not all courses.
I asked to play a course in Norfolk and was refused as I lived outside the county.:eek:
Other courses are 50 % reduction (Brabazon). Others will allow you courtesy but only once per year (Woodhall)
On the whole, as long as you give at least 24 hours notice, you can play free of charge at most places.
Anywhere, not just the UK

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played the West Course at Wentworth just before the changes and it was £220 but worth every penny to me. I had walked it while watching pro tournaments and just had to play it - it cost £2.50 a shot!

I played Sunningdale New a month ago. That was £160 and I shot 84 (40 + 44) good but preferred Wentworth, but, as Bob says - I could never have played football at Wembley, tennis at Wimbledon or cricket an Lords

Chris

diesel75

Club Champion
Visit site
I would agree with Celtic Manor being very overrated and overpriced, it really did feel like any new course in the country. Wentworth West was also quite dissapointing. St Andrews Old though I think is worth the price, it's just fantastic.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprised nobody has mentioned Dalmahoy yet

Fabulous course;)

I'm trying to work out whether that smiley means you're being ironic or not. Dalmahoy is not a fabulous course, it's a pretty good one. I'd rank it along with the Forest of Arden.

The problem with this thread lies in the definition of a big course. Anywhere can really host a European Tour event, if they've got the money.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have to say i have played most of the big courses in Ireland and have enjoyed them all. The most i have paid for a green fee is 100 for RCD well worth it. Most of the time in Ireland you can play all the big courses in open comps i have never paid full price for the likes of the Kclub, Druids Glen and Mount Juilet. The 2 courses at the Kclub are good but not worth the full green fee 65 max is what i would pay DG and MJ are well worth playing no matter whar the price.
We are a bit lucky in Ireland that we have so many top quality Links courses that are reasonablly prices in the north west From Carne in Mayo to Ballyliffen you won't pay more than 60 euro to play any time making all the courses along that stretch of coast line fantastic value.
Heading further south the golf is a bit more expensive but equally spectular.
Mike

SonicBoom

Club Champion
Visit site
I have played one or two..
Belfry - some nice holes with great history (10 and 18 were fun) but a lot of average holes.
Celtic Manor - not done the 2010 but the other two were reasonably priced and the Monty is good fun
Wentworth - only played the Edinburgh but loved it. Great experience, one of my favourites

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many years since I played St Mellion so maybe Im being a bit harsh, but when we played it it was very boggy in places and tended to be luck of the bounce to a ridiculous degree on a few holes. I dont mind playing a tough golf course (Carnoustie one of my all time fav) but one time we played this is was just a lottery and decent shots didnt get rewarded whilst some awful shots didnt get punished.

That said it has been many years, maybe I should give it a revist :)

I tend to agree with you about the Belfry. The Grove I've not had the pleasure of playing. But St Mellion? I would disagree with this one Fundy. I have played there quite a few times over the years, most recently in September of this year. Whenever I play the Nicklaus course, I always feel that I am playing somewhere a little bit "special"...and this year was better than ever. It's a giant of a course, one of the only (if not the only) courses I have ever come away from feeling dwarfed by it's layout. I know that sounds a silly thing to say, but it's the only way I can sum it up.
The whole course was in immaculate condition, I don't think I've ever seen it better. The greens in particular were a delight to play on. Fortunes have been spent on the course, from improving the drainage to generally tidying it up, and despite not having the best of weather (why is it always wet and windy when I visit there?) it really was a delight to be playing it.
Almost every single hole on the course has you asking questions about your game.
Whilst it is not my "favourite" course (Carnoustie has that distinction) it would certainly be in my "top 3 courses ever played" list, and a visitor can get to play it for peanuts when compared with some of the other courses mentioned.
I have played many, many fine courses over the years, a lot of them "Championship" ones that I have enjoyed, but come away from feeling a little bit "cheated" for what I've paid. But I've never felt this at St Mellion.
Some of the nicest courses I have played are ones that I went to with no great expectations, but came away thinking "Wow!", Beau Desert most probably being top of that list.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have played both K Club courses a few times & enjoyed them , only paid once & that was as a society guest it cost me €35.. the further back the tees the more enjoyable the round up there tho .. Played very few big courses but i have no intention of paying mad money to play golf anywhere .. saint andrews might be the one exception & that would be to say i have played it , the rest wouldnt hold that kind of appeal to me. It is years since i played mount juliet & the last twice it peed rain on top of me , still recommend playing it tho, even once , superb place ..

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Royal Lytham & St Annes last week and came away feeling a bit underwhelmed.
The greens weren't what was expected of an Open championship course, (even allowing for the time of year) no memento of your visit (no goody bag) and the visitor tees bring the course in at 6360yds. A lot of the holes were a drive and a flick.
Don't get me wrong, some of the holes were spectacular 6,7,8 & 9 immediately spring to mind, but for top dollar (£112) I expect a lot more than that.

In contrast, I played Carnoustie yesterday and you could probably hold The Open tomorrow on it, such was it's condition.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Royal Lytham & St Annes last week and came away feeling a bit underwhelmed.
The greens weren't what was expected of an Open championship course, (even allowing for the time of year) no memento of your visit (no goody bag) and the visitor tees bring the course in at 6360yds. A lot of the holes were a drive and a flick.
Don't get me wrong, some of the holes were spectacular 6,7,8 & 9 immediately spring to mind, but for top dollar (£112) I expect a lot more than that.

In contrast, I played Carnoustie yesterday and you could probably hold The Open tomorrow on it, such was it's condition.

Was playing with Atticus and must say I agree.

The course was good (other than the greens) and I enjoyed playing it although I didn't come off blown away by how good the course was.

I may be like the craw with Kingsbarns, lived next to the course for 7 years and been looking forward to playing it all that time so maybe my expectations were too high.....

What I would emphasise is the lack of "occasion" about it all. No starter, no memento of the day (even a strokesaver was £7 on top of the green fee), rubbish practice green, pro who wasn't really interested once he'd taken your cash and even the clubhouse wasn't really what I'd expect (other than the memorabilia).

Just seemed to be lacking something for me which I was very disappointed with.

DCB

Visit site
I've played a few really good courses over the years. What I have noticed is that in the last 10 years visitors fees have rocketed. Is that because we are still willing to pay what the clubs charge so they get away with it? As Atticus has said, he was a bit underwhelmed at Royal Lytham & St Annes. How many of us are underwhelmed or disappointed after a day out at one of those places we have held in high esteem and waited patiently to play, only to find it not quite what we expected given the hype and magazine coverage that all these courses seem to get.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is a big part of it, making it a sense of occasion. Certainly the Belfry fell a bit short of that. Did not help that I was in the last group of the GM day and despite waiting on every tee we were being kicked up the arse by the Marshall every few holes. That happened at Forest of Arden as well. Nothing was said to the groups in front that we were waiting on but as the last group we got a stern request to speed up every few holes. Nothing makes you feel more at ease than being harrassed by a marshall on a strange course when you are up with play.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not so good mate as i no you were looking forward to it ,i played Kingsbarns as i said before greens were superb ,met at the firsrt tee by the starter gave advice about the course and was handed a goody bag of scorecard,strokesaver,pencil,tees,bag tag and pitch mark repairer and played with 2 caddys not bad for nowt.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some are and some are not. For me Hillside, Formby, Ganton, Beau Desert were everything I could have wanted, and I was smiling for days after playing them.

Wentworth West in 2008 (even with Di Stewart in the bar afterwards..she was with Will Greenwood) was great, as was the Turnberry Ailsa but for me I didnt enjoy them as much.

Personally I enjoy the, "2nd tier" £50-£90 courses more than the £150-£200 ones.