The BIG freeze

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Up here in bonnie Scotland we’re having a whip round for blankets and such like to send to you poor wee souls down south as the BIG freeze sets in. Snow, blizzards, cold, frost, ice, sleet, freezing winds, you know the usual things that come with winter…………..for gods sake, get on with it.

I few years ago I was stuck in Aviemore, it was three days before I could get home and not a word on the TV about the two feet of snow and the round trip to Inverness, Aberdeen Dundee that everyone had to make to get north or south.

You know what’s coming next………..the BIG thaw.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But you are tough up there.
We're just a bunch of Southern poofters.
No doubt a diet of Irn Bru, fried Mars bars and shortbread helps.
Plus the ginger hair of course

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to admit it's embarrassing the fuss they make over a bit of snow. Misleading road reports don't help and Stevenage council is particularly inept when it comes to road clearance.

schools shut at the first hint claiming it's a health and safety issue - we had more fun at school in the snow than at any other time.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, got to work no problems this morning.

It is the medias fault that we look a bunch of poofs. They report it that way, when most of us are quite capable of getting on with life normally.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Right racked off with the weather. £115 down the tube just before Xmas - can't teach kids to drive in this especially when 2 of them are 1st timers. One guys had his test cancelled and I'm out of pocket. Still it means we can get away to the In-laws a few hours earlier than expected. Most schools closed here - except The Boy's. And they're only there till 1 anyway.....

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's rediculous!!! It's about an inch at most in North Kent. Anyone would think we've woken up to 8 foot drifts!!!
I was at the kids' nursery this morning and had to wait with them as some of the staff weren't in - because of the snow!!! From what I could see the roads had been gritted - where were these people travelling from - Russia??? POOR!!! Make an effort!!!
It always baffles me how this country pretty much grinds to a halt when there's a smattering of snow. It makes me wonder how places such as Russia, Canada, New York, Switzerland, Austria, etc copes as they seem to get a bit more snow than us and their infrastruture continues.
I'm just annoyed that I won't be able to play golf on Sunday......... :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
It always baffles me how this country pretty much grinds to a halt when there's a smattering of snow. It makes me wonder how places such as Russia, Canada, New York, Switzerland, Austria, etc copes as they seem to get a bit more snow than us and their infrastruture continues.
I'm just annoyed that I won't be able to play golf on Sunday......... :D

If Norway is an example - no grit, let it pack, clear the drifts, studded tyres and drive on it. (That was fun - though no so much going round a blind bend in the (always) dark to encounter a herd of Rudolphs - but my they taste good!)

and New York leaks so much heat from their subway system that I don't thet could freeze.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
People are clueless though regarding road safety. I was driving along this morning (on a main road that'd been gritted) when a BMW pulls out in front of me. Not a problem in normal conditions but there was snow/ice about so not the most sensible of options. Anyway, no real danger of a collision but when I looked at the car, barring the front windscreen, s/he'd not cleared the snow off any of the other windows, including the rear windscreen!!! How did s/he expect to see what's coming when turning a corner??? Reversing??? :D

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Like you Scots, us Pennine lads are used to a bit of the white stuff. If it's too deep to drive to work, bloody walk!
1/2" of slush on London's roads makes news headlines and all hell breaks loose. Get over it, it's winter weather!

-4 this morning, a tad bitter, went in the car, got up a bit earlier, cleared the ice and snow from the car, no problems, drive to the conditions!