The benefit of 10 extra yards?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why not, since starting a complete swing change, i've lost at least 10 yards per club.

Would i like to get it back? yes.

Distance is not the be all though.

A guy i know is off +3 and hits most of his clubs the same distance as me. Thats the only sim, if you have the game you will get down to cat1 no bother.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Asked myself this same question the other week. So I got the card out for my course. To work out yardages, it would not make any difference to me other than maybe taking one club less. The greens I cannot reach in regulation. I would still be 50 yards short of.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... my carry yardages with 7, 6 and 5 irons are all within just a few yards of each other. Diff ball flight so roll out to diff distances.

Basically the shafts in my irons are all wrong for my swing speed.

this is the reason to change; that you might get 10yds an iron more is incidental.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd go for the extra length if I were you.
I'd rather hit a shorter iron at the green. As hopefully it would be more accurate than with a longer one. Thus I might hit more greens and 2 putt for pars more often. Or I might be able to get them closer and have more chance of makeable birdie putts.

Also, if you can get a little longer off the tee you could potentially be hitting 2 clubs less for approach shots than before.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Asked myself this same question the other week. So I got the card out for my course. To work out yardages, it would not make any difference to me other than maybe taking one club less. The greens I cannot reach in regulation. I would still be 50 yards short of.

I reckon you and me play the same course management style. :)

One question that I've always thought about goes something like this;

It's all very well needing one club less to a green, but aren't half decent players either going to hit a good one or put some daft swing on it and pull/push it. We have a good few short holes where I hit 8/9/PW into the greens. Do I stand over a 135 yard 8 iron and think "ooh, I'd hit a much better shot with a 9 iron, I'm sure?" Not that I can remember. :)

Another thing. On long holes, if I'm playing the 3 shot strategy the distance I'm left with to the green is usually 50-120 yards, normally dictated by the choice of 2nd shot. For example, we have a 475 yard par 5, but it's uphill and the maximum drive is 270 short of a lake. Now, that's fine, I can't reach and the truly big hitters take a 3 woods. At that point, no particular player is going to have an advantage. From there, good/powerful players don't take on the 220 yard uphill shot to the green (too much trouble), unless it's matchplay, so they tend to hit 6 and 7 irons for accuracy, I'll go with a 4i, as I have, say 240 to go, after a shorter drive.

As if by magic, all the 4 balls are usually sat in a small group between 100 and 50 to go.

At that point distance seems fairly irrelevant. We can all stick it to 5 foot or not. A wedge is a wedge.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
today I was constantly 10 or 20 yrds further than my opponent, she hammered me around the green, so I would say that extra distance did me no good at all.