The 9 shots - Do you have them.

Wolf

Visit site
This is something I first heard of when reading Haneys book about Tiger and how he had all 9 and hit all 9 on the range before every round a few years back and had forgotten all about until yesterday. Was sat listening to a podcast whilst eating dinner at the hotel and Simon Dyson was talking about how Pete Cowan says that if you can consistently hit all 9 of them then your already at an advantage over everyone else. He went on to say that even most tour players don't have the 9 shots...

Seeing as I was bored I wandered over the the range next to hotel and gave it a go, where I experienced some range Knobs saying I couldn't hit a straight shot etc but even though that was an irritation it made me think does everyone even know about these hallowed 9 shots and can we actually hit them..

The premise I belive is that you can hit all 9 shots with every club in the bag, thus making you a true worker of the ball.

So what are they:
1. High Straight
2. Mid Straight
3. Low straight
4. High Fade
5. Mid fade
6. Low fade
7. High draw
8. Mid draw
9. Low draw

I can categorically say having tried it last night I do NOT have all 9 shots on demand with every club in my bag.

I'm going to keep working on it as found it good fun and may help to find a go to shot for those days where the game is a struggle.

So do you know about them and do you have them.....

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope. If I could I’d be on tour. I reckon I can hit x2 on demand with the longer clubs. Fade & draw. Trajectory is problematic.

Hitting a straight shot with driver-4 iron is hard.
I’m not sure why I’d want to move a wedge? And how much it would move anyway.

You should list handicaps also, as this may give it some reference

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You'd have to define "demand" a bit better for me..

Can I hit every one every time? No..
Can I hit every one if you give me 3 or 4 chances at it? Possibly

In all honesty, Id probably struggle with the high shots. I can hit medium (standard) and low, but high is a bit of a tricky one..
So, to answer your question... No..

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First heard about this reading the same book. No where near having all the shots on command, but it is fun to try it out towards the end of a range session just to see if you can. I can certainly to the "straight" ball flight, high, medium and low. Its when trying to shape it that I have the difficulty, I can do it from time to time but I think sometimes its more just luck than skill at this point.

It does come in handy having tried to do these shots, especially when you get stuck behind a tree or something out on the course. Gives a bit more confidence that I can at least get it back into play.

D

Deleted member 21258

Nope, can probably hit 4 of them on good days

Normally a highish shot with slice/fade due to out to in path/open clubface and toe down but can also be straight.

Draws and hitting it very low by the delofting of the iron clubface(rather than speed of swing or changing iron number) are no chance in hell shots.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To paraphrase Morecambe & Wise, I can play all nine shots but not necessarily in the right order.
You beat me to it. I was scrolling through the other posts and was lining up this exact reply.

In reality, I probably have 2 of the 9, possibly 3 of the 9 but that would be with certain clubs, not with every single club.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
The head pro used to have the junior academy doing this, at the end of a session down the practice ground.

Whoever scored the most out of 9 would be exempt from collecting balls and win a free ride to the pro-shop on the golf buggy.

I can hit all of the shots, but i'm yet to hit them consectutively one after the other. Usually the low shots that stuff me up, low straight shot often has slight draw. I also can't do this with any club in the bag, i'd not be able to commit to mot of these shots with the driver / 3 wood just the irons.

That's what sets those apart that can do these on demand with any club in the bag, never known anybody work a ball quite like Tiger, he's god like at calling shots.

I'm currently reading 'Golf Tough' there's some good practice drills in that book also!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually practice hitting it straight a given distance and the closer I get to doing it consistenctly the happier I am.

You could drive yourself mad with this lot, as the OP said, not even all Tour pros can do it. Better to take Bobs diagram and work on having fewer of those imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think I have these shots until I stand over the ball when it matters and try to execute. Then I realise I have no idea. I can move the ball left to right and right to left but the degree of control and degree of curvature is never consistent