That One Hole

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two at my place. In succession. The 11th and 12th, off the white tees. The 11th is a 208 yard par 3, which plays uphill. Narrow entrance with bunkers either side. Miss it right, and the green then runs away from you on the next chip. Miss it left and the ball will run down the slope leaving you with a 30 yard pitch. Green is subtle and tricky.

The 12th is only 370 yards, but off the whites means you have to carry a large pit, so a well struck tee shot is required. Lose the tee shot right, and you are in trees, completely blocked out to the green. The play is to hit it down the left...but I can't seem to do it!!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 3rd at my old course used to be the one I struggled on most. A raised tee 440 yard Par 5, with a tiny area to aim the tee shot, with trees and thick rough down both sides. No OOB, but just horrible rough, and thick trees. Then, as you get up the hole it gets thin again with trees both sides, before opening up to the massive, sloped green. Awful hole, the only way to have a chance was either to get extremely fortunate with your tee shot, or take a mid-iron off the tee, and who wants to be doing that on a par 5? Terrible set-up, and awful hole.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a specific hole but a general type of hole: the long par 3. Anything around 200 yards tee to green causes me grief. I haven't been able to find a way to be consistent with these. I can't find the right type of shot to play, depending on conditions it can be anything 4iron up to 3wood and I can never hold the greens with those clubs.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
14th at my place. Only hole on the course with OOB both left and right, and because it's a dogleg sometimes a perfectly straight drive can get a bit of extra roll and go OOB. Now if I am having a good round I generally opt for 3x8irons as I get 2 shots on it. I've still managed to go OOB on a couple of occasions using this tactic, but it has been much more succesful than the driver.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The 3rd hole on our Old Course, a par 4 390 ish, slight dogleg right with a copse of trees at 200 on the right. Tress all the way down the left.

Developed a nast habit in the summer of pulling/hooking the tee shot in to the trees on the left, mus have done it 10 times in a row.

Stupid bloody hole.

On our Wandlebury course the 5th hole is a downhill par 3, 175 yards, to a wide but very shallow gree, maybe 10yds front to back. Protected all around the front by deep bunkers. Only a perfectly struck tee shot will carry the bunkers and hold the green. I ve done it maybe twice in a year.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
11th at my place although getting better at it.

My real nemesis is the 14th at Pleasington. I struggle round there but that hole in particular I just can't play. Not a difficult hole really but I run up a cricket score every chuffing time!!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Our 11th is quite a severe dogleg right around a wood. If I hit driver I often slice it into the wood or go too far left & run out of fairway. If I hit 3 wood I often put it in the bunker that sits at the right hand corner of the dogleg or go left & leave myself a long iron instead of a wedge for the second. You can actually hit a 7 iron short of the bunker and another 7 iron to the green. I must try that some time!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 3rd (I think?) on the Monty down at Celtic Manor. Fantastic par 5 that goes over the top of the mountain and cuts through the trees down to a lowered green. Played it 6 times so far, walked off with a 6 everytime. The last 4 times I have been on the green with a birdie putt and then 3 putted. :angry:

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So which is that one hole you struggle to play well every time? And why?

For me its the 6th at Dudsbury. Its fairly innocuous, no real trouble to speak of unless you fluff your tee shot, but for some reason I cannot score well on this hole. I can hit the purest of tee shots finding the fairway and then it all goes to pot, maybe its because its all uphill from there, maybe its the two fairways running either side so you often have an audience. Who knows, I cant figure it out.

Whats yours?

Now if you said the 7th at Dudsbury i would agree or the 8th there when the Pin is back left , the 6th is not really tough , a bit tricky if the pin is cut front right in the summer , get on in 2 most times , Mine has to be the 18th at my home club Parkstone a Par 3 of around 200 yards , its just a hole you don`t need at the end of the round , tough , safest place is short right and get up and down front there if you want to bale out , anything long and you are just running up big numbers , short leaves a tough up and down .

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

For me its the 6th at Dudsbury. Its fairly innocuous, no real trouble to speak of unless you fluff your tee shot, but for some reason I cannot score well on this hole. I can hit the purest of tee shots finding the fairway and then it all goes to pot, maybe its because its all uphill from there, maybe its the two fairways running either side so you often have an audience. Who knows, I cant figure it out.

Whats yours?

I've played Dudsbury (dad used to be a member) and my favorite hole was also the one I used to mess up - I think it was 17 (generally uphill along a valley bottom). One of the best holes on the course I think, but never played it well.

Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?72864-That-One-Hole#JWFfPeQ0ZJ6K1AZX.99

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whats yours?

Ah, but that's the charm and beauty and why these holes frustrate us. Its not because they are long or difficult. The frustration is because we cannot conquer them despite their apparent simplicity. Such is the beauty of golf!

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another one for me is slightly more justifiable, the 4th at Lostwithiel. Blind tee shot to a very narrow fairway with OOB down the right, 9 times out of 10 that's where the ball ends up.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to be my 4th but seem to have cracked it recently. The 5th bites me every now and again. It really shouldn't, short par 4 it's basically 2 mid irons but always find a way of messing it up!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played Dudsbury (dad used to be a member) and my favorite hole was also the one I used to mess up - I think it was 17 (generally uphill along a valley bottom). One of the best holes on the course I think, but never played it well.

Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?72864-That-One-Hole#JWFfPeQ0ZJ6K1AZX.99

Again this is a easy par 5 hole from the white tees at around 485 , its 550 from the back tees and all that water on the left is well in play from the back tee .

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's 2 (different course); the 15th at my regular is a 158 yard par 3 that plays severely uphill. Find everything about it distressing - if you look at it from above the hole is essentially contained within a rectangle (hedging and mature trees to 3 sides), with the tee box (also lowest point) in one corner and a small green (also highest point) in the diagonally opposite corner. I've no confidence I've set-up or aligned correctly, that I've chosen the right club or any idea what the wind is doing as it swirls. I've hit the green twice this year, held it once and parred it once.

The other is a long par 5 at nearby course I play socially with friends. From where you stand the trees to both sides close in at about 150 yards and then it appears to turn right to left - it doesn't, once you get beyond it you know as long as you drive it straight either with a draw or fade you would have been safe. However, on the tee box the mental picture is you must shape the ball right to left. So I slice it every time into the neighbouring football ground. Never parred it.