Th Masters. Is it the best?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I just love it. To me it kicks off the season on the highest of high notes. I know it has it's critics for the way they lengthen or shorten some of the holes to make it more competitive, but it's just absolute magic for me. Bobby Jones' masterpiece. It's the only reason I've got a telly.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like it because it is the start of the season for me and I love the rustic features of the Masters .....

but .....

Because they don't have weather to test the players they have to manufacture conditions that make players play to par. I have never heard of a course with fans under their greens to dictate how dry and hard the green will be, added top the fact that they don't allow cameras on holes 1-9 makes them look drachonian and dated.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and my dad sat up to watch Jack Nicklaus win in '86 and it was a night I will never forget. My dad isn't into golf but we screamed the house down when Jack followed the putts in putter aloft. Perhaps the BBC coverage has added to the nostalgia.

The Open is by far <u> THE</u> major.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys it has to be The Open.

I will watch every second of the Masters coverage but come on!!

The Open is the one,the history,the courses,the crowds,THE HISTORY!!!!!

Not that I feel strongly at all.

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the Open Championship is the best major.

The first time I got interested in golf was watching Calcaveccia win it.I think I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time and I took the game up soon after that.

I always enjoy sitting watching the final round in the clubhouse with a few pints.

SlapDashMatt

Visit site
Augusta always has a special place in my heart due to that spate of Faldo/Wossnam/Lyle wins in the '80s and '90s. Magic times. In my humblest of humble opinions The Open is an 'event' that transcends the sport though - like Cheltenham (come on the horses) or a Lords test match or a Cup Final at Wembley.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the merits of the Masters etc were discussed last week. However as people still seem happy to talk about it here is my tuppence worth.

The Masters always signifies the start fo the golfing season form me. I know the longer nights are coming and that the competitions at my club will be starting in earnest.

I love the spetacle of the Masters especially Amen Corner on Sunday. We all know the holes intimately and all have dreamed on how we would play them to win the green jacket.

Visually it is always amazing and the elequonce of Peter Alliss adds a further dimension as the battle twists and turns.

However it is not THE major. It simply has to be the British Open. I love the fact that a club pro can qualify and be drawn with the big boys int he same way as a minnow in the FA Cup can play with the Man Utd and Liverpools. They will never win it but no one can take that competitors medal away from them (my first pro qualified on year in the early 1970's).

The weather is always more of a factor as is the terrain. I also like the fact that the field is truely open and not an invitational like the Masters. The fact that there is a rota also means there is always something different each year.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Masters is the one for me. I think I've already bored you with this but I did walk the course on the final practice day many years ago. It's not quite as it appears on the telly. Much hillier than you would think and one or two of the holes were (IMHO) a bit dull. Augusta itself was a dreary city.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
golf-mad, the powers that be at Augusta not only dictate where cameras can/can't be but only permit a total of 3 hours coverage a day. Why do you think we see a lot of Amen Corner and not much else?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the Masters and the Open, for different reasons.

The rest.....well, as a freeview viewer, couldn't give a damn. The US open and the USPGA are just "events" to me. It's a pity.....but since (to my knowledge) I can't just pay to view these events without signing up for some "general sports" pay tv packages, I'm a bit snookered. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to be enlightened.

Like many things in this life, if the folks selling services actually opened up their eyes and realise there are £millions$ to be made from folks like me who don't want the full-fat 365 24/7 service but would be prepared to shell out a good fee for one off stuff....

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can book on to Sky Sports for just one month at a time RGUK and then cancel after a month. Think it's about £12. Dependant on you having SKY in the first place though.
I can't wait for The Masters to start for the reasons given above, but nothing beats The Open for me for the reasons give above.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm sorry to repeat a thread of last week on this subject, but I was away in sunny Gran Canaria at the time.

I must agree with most of you about The Open, but I think it is the fact that The Masters is played on the same course every year that makes it something special for me. Having watched it ever since the BBC have been covering it, I feel I know the course so well, (with due respect to Shanker's first hand experience) that it feels like my home club. I can't so easily relate to a different links course for the open every year. The time lag between Augusta and UK also puts it into the right viewing spot for me.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
rguk, I believe that you can get Setanta (£10/month) on a freeview box if you have the right type. there is no fixed contract so you can just get it for the season if you wish.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a common interface slot on my freeview HD recorder.

I have looked at the setanta site and will phone them to enquire what I need. If I could get the card and subscribe on and off, this would be great!!

No US Open by the look of it though....

Thanks for the info....