TGL

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Doubt I’ll be watching it at 3 o’clock on a Tuesday morning, but good luck to them, I’m sure it will appeal to some.

D

Deleted member 15344

Doubt I’ll be watching it at 3 o’clock on a Tuesday morning, but good luck to them, I’m sure it will appeal to some.

Would have thought this was exactly what you would like - team golf , franchises , new , different , quick format , will have the music and razzmatazz, will attract the younger viewers - even managing to get the franchises sold before it starts

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Would have thought this was exactly what you would like - team golf , franchises , new , different , quick format , will have the music and razzmatazz, will attract the younger viewers - even managing to get the franchises sold before it starts

Rory is involved, so I suppose there'll be some entertainment to see him whinging about the very thing he's supposed to be in control of.. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I'd rather watch Lester Barnes knocking it round a course in Cornwall, and indeed that's probably what I'll be watching...

cleveland52

Visit site
Yep, might even have a shotgun start....LOL!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its a sure fire success. Can see it really bringing more people into the game and it having an appeal beyond the traditional golf fan base. Especially with the younger viewers who like more bite sized entertainment than 4 days of straight strokeplay which really needs a refresh after so many decades. Can expect the atmosphere to be terrific and as support for the teams develops people will really get involved in supporting their team of choice. Should really roll out golf into new territories and audiences to grow the game. If they get it on something like Youtube or Facebook, which are all the range with a lot of people now who dont like using televisions but consume sports entertainment on their various mobile device platforms, the viewers numbers will be stratospheric. LOUD music and a fun atmosphere throwing beer bottles as well, and they have a terrific product.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I just can't see how any of this stuff (teams and the like) works long term. As a fun little quirk it's interesting for a week and then the novelty wears off.

I heard Rick Shiels saying on his podcast that the golf season should last for about 8-9 months, so that fans will then miss it when it isn't on tv and I couldn't agree with him more. Then he said that the off-season should be all about transfers between teams, and transfers between apparel brands, and manufacturers. I actually lol'd.

No one outside of a few hardcore golf fans cares a jot about that stuff. No one cares about the Knuckleheads or the Ironsfaces or whatever those mental LIV team names are.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I just can't see how any of this stuff (teams and the like) works long term. As a fun little quirk it's interesting for a week and then the novelty wears off.

I heard Rick Shiels saying on his podcast that the golf season should last for about 8-9 months, so that fans will then miss it when it isn't on tv and I couldn't agree with him more. Then he said that the off-season should be all about transfers between teams, and transfers between apparel brands, and manufacturers. I actually lol'd.

No one outside of a few hardcore golf fans cares a jot about that stuff. No one cares about the Knuckleheads or the Ironsfaces or whatever those mental LIV team names are.
Ooh you'll be in trouble with BIM & FraggerPhil for mentioning LIV outside the main thread 🤣😉

I can see a place for it. Many golfers play electronic rounds against others.
There's already a big audience for people watching teams play each other on 'computer games'. It's not for me but can't deny the popularity.

Personally I've never really liked the whole PGAT FedEx stuff, but that's my opinion and I wouldn't suggest 'no one cares'

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Ooh you'll be in trouble with BIM & FraggerPhil for mentioning LIV outside the main thread 🤣😉

I can see a place for it. Many golfers play electronic rounds against others.
There's already a big audience for people watching teams play each other on 'computer games'. It's not for me but can't deny the popularity.

Personally I've never really liked the whole PGAT FedEx stuff, but that's my opinion and I wouldn't suggest 'no one cares'

This. There seems to be some sort of mentality that golf has to have a restricted appeal, that it can't be diversified, that we should maintain the traditions even if means preventing the game expanding...

Why??
I've already said this venture won't be for me - more due to the fact that it will be on a Monday night in the USA with a 5 or 6 hour time difference - but it will appeal to some and hopefully it's a success. I'd always advocate shorter formats of the game that are more vibrant, and bring younger people to the game, hence the reason I've enjoyed watching the LIV events.

I see there's a few events being set up in football stadiums around the UK - brilliant - let's see more if it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm suggesting that this won't be a success, for the reasons I've mentioned. Not that golf shouldn't try new things.

I hope I'm wrong by the way - it'll be great for golf if it works.

But this thing sounds a lot like those awful things the European Tour used to do with Vernon Kay.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Esports is currently worth $1.6billion globally.

There is an emerging market of golfers that don’t play on a traditional course. They play in sims and TopTracer. This is the market this is aiming at, not the traditional market.

D

Deleted member 15344

Will just wait and see how it goes - it’s certainly something different and no doubt will appeal to a lot - already seems to have a lot of backing and people getting involved including a lot of the top players

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s no skin off my nose. Other than it’s a minor irritation that the LiV PR team have to mention it in every thread.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It’s no skin off my nose. Other than it’s a minor irritation that the LiV PR team have to mention it in every thread.
Hmm, so howbow88 & cleveland52 are now the "LIV PR" team in your eyes!
Perhaps your inherent bias is clouding judgement 🤔🤔🤔🙄