Texas Scramble Q

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ok so it’s not real golf for the rules area so I guess I’m looking for opinions rather than fact

4-ball Texas scramble with a minimum of 4 tee shots to be provided from each player (inc one par 3) with two spare tee shots
Its up to the team to decide which tee shot they use for which player when selecting the ball for the next shot

Scenario is the group come to the first par 3 and it’s an island green, all 4 balls go in the water and they proceed to drop zone.
Does the order in which they drop and play the next shot determine who’s par 3 it will count as?
i.e if player A who lets say tee’d off third from the tee but then drops first in the drop zone and plays into the green, is it then counted as Player A’s par 3 tee shot that was used since he played the second shot first (third stroke)

Needless to say it wasn’t covered on the CoC

There's no conflict just an interesting point

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never experienced such an occurrence, but id guess you'd decide who's tee shot to use and then let them drop first.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've never experienced such an occurrence, but id guess you'd decide who's tee shot to use and then let them drop first.

Yeah I'd agree
I think what actually happened was they didn't consider tee shot before dropping, so were left wondering if by default the player to drop first gets allocated that par 3 by virtue of their action of playing the next shot first

I think they mistakenly thought they could all drop and play in and defer the tee shot decision until after they had played their next shots

edit: My logic was if it was red stakes along the side and each went in 10 yards apart then they’d be picking one and all drop there and that’s the tee shot they’d use
Just because it was yellow stakes and a drop zone I couldn’t see how it would change that process: Player A put the team ball back into play when he dropped first so its his tee shot

Just wanted to see if any other opinions out there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

I would let all 3 play their provisionals (or 3 off the tee) then pick the best one as per usual, only difference is you are then playing 4 instead of 2.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would let all 3 play their provisionals (or 3 off the tee) then pick the best one as per usual, only difference is you are then playing 4 instead of 2.

Yeah I could go with that if all 4 tee shots went into the bushes etc and everyone reloading for a provisional (none of the provisional are actually the ball in play yet) but doesn't really work with a water hazard though

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
4-ball Texas scramble with a minimum of 4 tee shots to be provided from each player (inc one par 3) with two spare tee shots
Its up to the team to decide which tee shot they use for which player when selecting the ball for the next shot

Scenario is the group come to the first par 3 and it’s an island green, all 4 balls go in the water and they proceed to drop zone.
Does the order in which they drop and play the next shot determine who’s par 3 it will count as?

Do the 'rules' say whether the counting tee stroke has to be declared before playing the hole or after all tee strokes have been made?

If the latter. it is up to the team to determine tactically whose ball makes the most sense.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd decide who is the weakest player on par 3s and declare it as their tee shot. Might as well get some benefit from the situation.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yeah I could go with that if all 4 tee shots went into the bushes etc and everyone reloading for a provisional (none of the provisional are actually the ball in play yet) but doesn't really work with a water hazard though

Why not? It's just like playing the hole from the start again only this time you have to add 2 penalty shots onto the final score.

I'd decide who is the weakest player on par 3s and declare it as their tee shot. Might as well get some benefit from the situation.

What if that player dumps it in the water again?

D

Deleted member 23270

Irrelevant as all four people hit again anyway. This option just means we don't have to shoe-horn another tee shot from them on another par 3.

Ah right, I didn't get what you meant first time round. Yes makes sense :thup:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Assuming all the Rules of Gof apply except where the format requires, they could not play a provisional knowing their original balls were in the water hazard.

D

Deleted member 23270

Assuming all the Rules of Gof apply except where the format requires, they could not play a provisional knowing their original balls were in the water hazard.

Yes I know, hence why I put the extra bit in brackets.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out Texas scramble 'rules' require the person whose tee shot is selected to play first.

So I would agree with the view that first person to play has the hole marked as one of theirs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there is a competition rule (as Jim has posted applies at his club) then fine, that's the way it works.
If there isn't (and we don't have one and most of the ones I've played in don't either) then the only thing that matters is that they have decided and noted who's tee shot they consider it was before starting the next hole.