Terminal Case of the Shanks

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most bizarre thing, this last week I have been to the range 4 times, Sat/Sunday spot on target with new irons, loving them. Towards the end shanked a few but just got "a bit steeper" and the shanks went away.

Went to the range Tue and Today (Thurday) and shot the first 10-20 balls spot on (even nailing a 70 year old 2 iron with no offset), I could pick target on the range and get within 10 yards of it 3 times in a row. Next 30-40 balls constant shanks, happened both days!

Could be just tired after work but I think it might be more than that

Really depressing me as I have a match on Saturday!

Is there anything I can do to help me through the match?

*Edited because for some reason it deleted half of my post!

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You have my sympathies. I had months of it last year and ended up going to a video lesson to highlight the fact that I was throwing my hips at the ball instead of turning through. Also I had to consciously try to hit the ball out of the toe for about a month.

Still, all cured now (hopefully) and not had it happen again for a while now.

Good luck with your search for the cure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure what the answer is. I've been writing all week about how badly I'm hitting it and how out of sorts I feel in the swing. Got HID to call a favour in with one of the pros at the club she works at for a quick 30 minute fix and went to the range tonight to give it one last go and find something to use to play on Saturday. Hit it a dream. Much better turn and tempo and not worrying about anything.

Its quality and not quantity at the range and you might just be overtired especially after working. My advice would be to get to the club early on Saturday and hit some warm up shots and not think about anything other than a good tempo

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has had me wanting to just pack it all in, first time I have ever truly thought that way. Thankfully talked myself out of it, I have not even seen a pro yet so all is not lost!

I will see my pro ASAP, silly thing was I had a lesson booked but my winter league captain drafted me in to replace a guy so I cancelled it!

I am sure someone will help me out before I go out in the match! If not the range at my club might be the place to find my swing.

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I felt the same. Didn`t know where I was hitting it and when the next straight shot was coming. Depths of despair.

Needed to forget all about power and concentrate on rhythm and timing. Trying to hit the ball out of the toe, and discovering that I was still nearer the hosel than was healthy.

It will come good and you will be better for it. Just doesn`t feel like it at the moment though. Chin up mate ;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
No how you feel ,shanked the first 20 balls i hit last night all with different irons,today i topped ,thinned and duffed my way round :(

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Cure the shanks...

Set up with the hands far enough away from the thighs in the first place!!... This will create enough space for the hands to swing down into, 4-5 inches should do it.

Once you've made your turn, keep your right hip and ass BACK as if it's touching a wall. If it moves towards the ball at all (forcing you to stand up out of the shot) you are cramping your downswing space... see above.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be the week for it judging by the number of threads covering disasters at the range.

I'd never had it before....until tonight :(

Did everything as normal, warmed up, hit a few chips to about 30 yards, then every iron went low and wide right :D

Just packed up and went home, will give it a go tomorrow and hope it was just a bad dream.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is scary how many have come on here with them this week.

It has been 10 weeks since my last lesson due to snow, holidays etc and I was doing everything right like WDIG until Tue night.

I know I need to free my arms and get steep, I tried that last night. I looked at what I was doing wrong and how I could cure it and none seemed to work. I think I need professional help ASAP!

I am going to work hard on Sat morning to cure it before the match at 8AM, time for youtube vids!

EDIT: Looking at what "steep" means... I think I need to get my hands away from my behind, I think I am rolling a bit!

I some idea now and as they say... once you have the tools...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been there done that, don't worry about it at least you didn't do it in a club medal winners competition that only you and 5 others could have won. 28 over for 8 holes with two pars in that ( both par 3's and used 3 and a 4 iron). Drove the ball beautifully too didn't miss a fairway with the driver everything else went straight right apart from the tee shots on the par 3's. That's the only time I have ever walked of the course during a comp. At the time didn't feel like I ever wanted to go back either. :(

My advice don't worry about it, get a lesson or two, I'm sure you will be fine once you get on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shanked my way round a better ball match at Maidenhead with HTL last year. By 9 I was in bits and by 15 I just wanted to cry. How we were only dormie down the last I don't know and even then I had a shot to the green to put some pressure on. No prizes for guessing what I conjoured up. I'm surprised HTL spoke to me let alone played with me again (maybe it's what caused him to jack it in). It was painful and mega embarrasing.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
was playing reasonably today and managed to manufacture a draw on a 5 iron into our par 3 13th against the wind (alien to my usual fade) quite a decent shot to the front left of the green :)
Tried the same again on the 15th....First ever shank on a long club :mad: :(