Tee times!!!!!

weggers

Visit site
Guys and Girls

I'd appreciate any help on this matter.....

My local golf club has a policy, like many regarding group size starting at different time throughout the day.

From 6:00 to 8:30 any match
From 8:30 to 10:30 3/4 balls from the 1st with 2 balls from the 10th

If as a 2 ball we are on the tee as the next group to play out prior to 8:30 and whist waiting for the fairway to clear the time surpasses 8:30. Do we have to vacate the tee under a ruling or can we play on without compromising any etiquette or formal understanding of the game, since we were ready to play prior to the deadline.

This obviously goes for a 3/4 ball teeing off during the 2 ball threshold.

I would appreciate you coming back to me as it’s a continuous bone of contention with certain members in our club.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would love to think such pettiness is an isolated incident but we had similar playing a 4-ball match on Sunday am with the "format of the day being 3-balls before 11.30!

I guess that it's up to the club committee/owners to decide what should happen when people start complaining either way really, personally I would say a 2-ball waiting on the teeing ground should continue as a 2-ball, but best bet is to contact the committee or owner for exact clarification!

(Hacker Khan'll be along in a second to suggest this is another reason for dwindling memberships so brace yourself!)

weggers

Visit site
It was, and still is my understanding that the players ready and on the Tee should be allowed to play on. Those "waiting in the wings" should be relocated. This is how I've always understood the system and played by in the past.

However, when we were confronted by the local Fiddle of some 10 - 15 players. It wasn't worth arguing the toss, especially since I wasn't sure my self.

I'm sure its just a common courtesy but was rather hoping their was some sort of ruling I could refer them to.

Thanks any way.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was, and still is my understanding that the players ready and on the Tee should be allowed to play on. Those "waiting in the wings" should be relocated. This is how I've always understood the system and played by in the past.

However, when we were confronted by the local Fiddle of some 10 - 15 players. It wasn't worth arguing the toss, especially since I wasn't sure my self.

I'm sure its just a common courtesy but was rather hoping their was some sort of ruling I could refer them to.

Thanks any way.

As far as I'm aware it would be a club/course rule rather than an R&A/USGA rule so would have to be decided in house.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Thanks any way.

Definitely something for your club to sort out.

But pretty bolshy attitude from the fiddle imo.

As a 2-ball, it's not going to be you that hold them up. I'd have considered asking them to go get the Pro to tell you hat to do and simply tee-ed off anyway - depending on where the group in front was of course.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what happens at my gaff, i was told the reason on how it works, but i switched off.. but it does work and prevents bottle necks and slow rounds.

Time Singles & Foursomes Three & Four-Balls
07:00 - 08:30 1st 10th
08:30 - 10:30 10th 1st
10:30 - 12:00 1st 10th
12:00 - 13:30 10th 1st
13:30 - 15:00 1st 10th
15:00 - 16:30 10th 1st
16:30 - 18:00 1st 10th
18:00 - 19:30 10th 1st
After 19:30 1st or 10th 1st or 10th

lost the formatting, sorry, hope you get the gist!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm aware it would be a club/course rule rather than an R&A/USGA rule so would have to be decided in house.

indeed

there are 2 obvious, but contrary, aspects -

the first is that a game waiting at the right tee and the right time but delayed from teeing off though unexpected occurances (the previous players return to the tee having lost their balls) - clearly it makes more sense for them to tee off there.

the second would be 20 people turning up just prior to the change - if they wish to use that tee they should play in the appropriate groups; or change tee. any other solutions make a mockery of having the system in place!

as others have suggested, you woud think that such common sense would be easy to find amongst like minded adults....

D

Deleted Member 1156

Surely when you get to the tee you can work out how many groups there are and how long any queue is going to take before you tee off? Then you can go to the appropriate tee?

Not quite sure why it should be an issue if you apply a bit of basic common sense?