Tee height

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What kind if tee do you use and do you have it high or low? I use the pink castle ones so it's the same everytime. A mate uses the grey one which I tried an just skyed it looked like I used a wedge.. Considering using a lower tee in the winter as we play along the cliff top and could do with keepin it out the on shore gale

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant stand those castle tee myself. Just use a bog standard wooden one. I have half the ball above the driver face for normal shots. All the ball just above the club face if I want to hit a higher one. But move the ball more forward in the stance so you hit up on it. Otherwise it will go like a wedge as you said.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use a high tee with my driver, I like the grey ones but tend to loose them easily. I have found some the same height but they are luminous orange and have used the same one for three months now. I hit up on the ball and try to reduce spin, a high tee gives me the correct high 'rainbow' type flight that maxis out carry. If I tee lower it increases spin and creates more of a balooning flight that falls back very sudenly.

With par 3's I like to use broken wooden tees so that I can tee the ball barely above the grass level, this make the clubhead impact the ball at the correct height to make a nice penetrating flight that will spin up on landing. I find the castle red tees are too high for an iron and create a strike too high up the face that makes a high ball flight that is affected by the wind.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Use the red castle for my 3wood and sometimes my irons but I recently started playing irons from the floor... Has anyone used those bristle low friction things? Do they make any difference?

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i tee it quite high with the driver,sometimes i may tee it slightly lower but usually the ball is above the topline of the driver face.

i use the 3 3/4" white tee's....i think that's the length of them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The trouble I have with the castle tees is I hit so many different types of shot off the tee I'd need a pocketfull of them.
Driver, 3 wood, rescue, long/short iron, high, low etc
I use the long "one size fits all" plastic tees which are almost unbreakable.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hate plastic tees. It just seems wrong (was going to use a different word, starting with p, but the mafia would edit it out).

Long pink wooden ones for me.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
With par 3's I like to use broken wooden tees so that I can tee the ball barely above the grass level, this make the clubhead impact the ball at the correct height to make a nice penetrating flight that will spin up on landing. I find the castle red tees are too high for an iron and create a strike too high up the face that makes a high ball flight that is affected by the wind.

I found the same with Red Castles and now do the same with broken wooden tees.
Use wooden tee with just over half the ball above the top of club face for driver.
I do see alot of the low men at our place hit their irons into the tee box to make a slight bump and tee from it on par 3 holes. Tried it myself but don't like it.
I have also noticed it is usually the higher hcap players that use the big grey or orange castles and the low men all use wooden tees. Never thought anything of it until now though. But I have played with 4 pros and 2 asst pros and they all used wooden tees.
My own coach who I play with a few times uses wooden tees and I asked why not plastic and he said to me it's probably nonsense in reality but in his head he thinks plastic on plastic would create more friction than plastic on wood, but he did say if was just something he felt and wouldn't advise it because he even thinks it sounds dumb lol

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I use the pride wooden tees with a yellow mark for my driver, inserted so that the yellow is just below the surface for regular drives, or a couple of mm showing if I want a bit of extra lift over trees or such. Use regular short yellow wood tees for irons/ hybrids and 3 wood, pushed mostly right down.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I do know a very good golfer who uses castle tees so they're not just for newbies.
And before you ask, I cant say who it is. Nelly the elephant couldn't drag his name from me :p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
bob, its get better have a mate whos off 12, he uses the winter tee's connected by string all year.. " why do i need to waste money on tee's " is he answer, hes had that same string of tee's for 3 years.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
bob, its get better have a mate whos off 12, he uses the winter tee's connected by string all year.. " why do i need to waste money on tee's " is he answer, hes had that same string of tee's for 3 years.

I lost mine down the driving range. They weren't really lost, I could still see them, but getting them was another issue altogether.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pink Castles for me. It's going to look outrageous with my white driver nestling up next to it. :eek:

Might go for some Paula Creamer pink golf balls to complete the effect.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I found a couple of white plastic 2 3/4 inc normal tee's and have been using those for driver, for everything else its a bit of broken tee and if its 7 iron or less, nothing from a mat.