Tee Height

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the range yesterday, courses everywhere closed, it had one of those auto tee feeder things, well cool. You are able to change the height of the tee. There are four height to choose from. So when I got to my driver, I started on the lowest and worked up. Now the third was about the height of a pink tee, and the height I use but the man in the shop where I bought my new driver said to use the grey / orange type. The more height the further the ball will go and that's what we want isn't it? I was I little unsure about using the highest one but thought what the hell, give it a go. OMG! As my ball flew over the netting at the back of the range, whereas with the lower setting I was just reaching the netting. And also another weird benefit was that the ball flew straighter. It was already fairly straight but now was another 10 meters, at least, longer and straighter. I only bothered to hit about 10 with driver. It was so straight no need to work on that !!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In normal pay I find the pink too low and the grey/orange too high.

I use the pink off some mats because they are more stable and when I want to hit a lower shot.

In normal play I use a 70mm tee which I set to a height to suit the type of shot I want top play. I use my index finger (ball in hand on the tee) to judge when it it has gone in the ground far enough for my average tee shot.

Robin Hood

Visit site
That's really interesting; I use pink tees and have wondered about the taller ones.
Got to give them a try.
Did you change the ball position ?
I use a Ping 12 degree driver and tend to hit low shots.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At a recent lesson I was advised to swap from pink to orange as it would add distance and also straighten the shots as you were hitting at a better angle

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I found my driver definitely goes better with an orange tee. With the pink one I get a few off of the bottom of the face.

D

Deleted member 1147

I use a white castle tee ( or equivalent).
My coach reckons most amateurs use tee that are too high.

D

Deleted member 1147

but doesn't the tee too low esp for a large headed driver encourage you to hit down on the ball slightly?
Amazingly not.
I was hitting 4* on the up today, on the simulator.
I was encouraged to practice off the deck, or with a very low tee. This helps sweep, rather than hit down on the ball.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a white castle tee ( or equivalent).
My coach reckons most amateurs use tee that are too high.

I also thought that high tees were also about where the sweet spot is on a modern driver. With a white tee I would have thought you were hitting the clubface well below the sweet spot, assuming a 460cc driver.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had the opposite result. Was using the orange tees for some time, then went to a course where mats were being used on a couple of holes. When I used the rubber tee in the mat I noticed the ball was going much further. Checking the height it was shorter than my orange tees. So switched to pink tees and was much happier with the ball flight.

As time went on I went down further to white tees for a while but ended up back with pink.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to play the pink tees these days and have actually come down from the orange ones. If the hole is distinctly downwind I'll tee it higher but I've found I get a better flight (and distance) since going lower

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was using orange tees with my old driver. When I did my fitting for the new one he quickly told me that was too high and I was losing distance because of it, so I've gone back down to pink tees ever since then.

Chico84

Visit site
At the range I started off with the highest of the four settings with my driver but after a lesson my pro advised me to use the second highest. This has helped get a more optimum ball flight and more distance. On the course I use wooden tees and gauge what I think is the right height.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
When my driver used to look like a toaster on a stick ( ;) ) I found that if using a very high tee then I needed the ball an inch or two further forward than usual otherwise I occasionally skied it.