Tee Height for PW / SW?

S

Snelly

Never had any issues whatsoever. Find a spot on the tee box with a decent bit of turf on it, place your ball down and swing away, jobs a good un. Not stupid at all.

On this occasion, I am afraid you are wrong.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
tee up a bit higher and go 1 club more! I lose a club length wise when tee'd up with an iron.

with regards taking a divot and tee's required... I think I took one (aka a fat) at wentworth on the west with my driver :p

S

Snelly

Funny I was gonna say the same thing to you. I rarely miss greens on short par 3's using this method so will carry on doing so regardless of what you or anyone else says. Unless the tee boxes are in such a bad state of course.

Ben Hogan said that on a teeing ground, it is the only chance you get in a round of golf to ensure you have a perfect lie by using a tee peg and that you should always, always take up this advantage.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not just remove or trim a few trees back. I have never heard of a club having this rule before

I think they've already done that and are constantly working on improving the hole. I guess it's not any different to carrying a bit of artificial turf for every fairway though? Sure that's through winter only but if it's a qualifier then it's hit off the ground...

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think they've already done that and are constantly working on improving the hole. I guess it's not any different to carrying a bit of artificial turf for every fairway though? Sure that's through winter only but if it's a qualifier then it's hit off the ground...

Yes the mat rule is for winter, that is in place at quite a few clubs. Got to be a way to make to hole receive more sunlight though so that crazy rule of teeing up from the fairway can be disposed of. How does it affect pace of play with regards to waiting for everyone teeing their ball up? must be a mare on comp days

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes the mat rule is for winter, that is in place at quite a few clubs. Got to be a way to make to hole receive more sunlight though so that crazy rule of teeing up from the fairway can be disposed of. How does it affect pace of play with regards to waiting for everyone teeing their ball up? must be a mare on comp days

I've not noticed it being specifically slow albeit that it's a tough hole with lots of trouble so can cause some delays. Players are used to it I suppose so it's seconds to pop the ball on a tee and hit it. Remember in qualifying comps it's not in force.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds a tricky course full stop to me, what course is it?

It is - have found in the couple of medals I've played (only joined in March) that there aren't any "breathers" where you can sort of relax! Perhaps the 5th is one but only because 3 of the first 4 holes are so tough.

It's Brampton Park Golf Club http://www.bramptonparkgc.co.uk/pages.php/index.html

For me an indicator of difficulty is SSS being 1 more than Par off the Reds whereas previous course was 2 less.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
more than happy hitting off the ground for most par 3's. I have starting using broken tees sometimes of late. makes next to no difference for me!

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There’s a par 3 9[SUP]th[/SUP] and 18[SUP]th[/SUP] at my course and until recently I’d been playing them brilliantly (one of the few holes I had been consistent with!). They play 116 and 126 yards respectively, both downhill, the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] severely so. Depending on wind, I’ve normally played an SW or PW, normally tee the ball low – about a finger tip of the ground. However, recently the ball just seems to slip of the club high and to the right. Very frustrating – this sometimes happens me when the ball is sitting up in ‘soft’ rough – like my club just swooshes under the ball. Should I tee the ball even lower, or when using a wedge from the tee box dispense with a tee altogether? PW & SW from the fairway are consistent and straight.

This is the issue, not the height of any tee that you may or may not be using. Sounds a bit like you are not committing to the shot and leaving the clubface a bit open, is this maybe the case? I'd suggest you get this checked out first :thup:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny I was gonna say the same thing to you. I rarely miss greens on short par 3's using this method so will carry on doing so regardless of what you or anyone else says. Unless the tee boxes are in such a bad state of course.

the idea of teeing it up is to create a perfect lie. you might be great at hitting par 3's without but teeing it up 0.5mm will cost you nothing (other than a tee) and give you the best possible chance. almost all pro's tee up.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
the idea of teeing it up is to create a perfect lie. you might be great at hitting par 3's without but teeing it up 0.5mm will cost you nothing (other than a tee) and give you the best possible chance. almost all pro's tee up.

I am only on about with a PW or a SW like the OP was asking, anything less than tha then yes I do tee it up. I have seen some pro's hit 3 or 5 woods from the tee without teeing it up, Stenson is one of these. But for PW and SW shots I never bother and have no problems whatsoever

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am only on about with a PW or a SW like the OP was asking, anything less than tha then yes I do tee it up. I have seen some pro's hit 3 or 5 woods from the tee without teeing it up, Stenson is one of these. But for PW and SW shots I never bother and have no problems whatsoever

what i mean is, you are ok with what your doing but teeing it up wont turn your good shot bad. it just gives you that small margin you might need if you ever catch one fat. it's a small advantage, but i dont know why you wouldn't want to take it. you wouldn't even need to buy any tee's, just use a broken one lying about. i used to hit off the deck but my pro said start teeing up (proper low) just to create that perfect lye.

just watched stenson hit a 5 wood on you tube and he did use a tee but pushed it in to the weeds. maybe he's changed. it was an old clip

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Possibly, Stenson swaps it around I think I will see if I can find a vid with it on. When he was playing in Sun City once he definitely was not teeing it up with the woods as the commentator specifically noted this. Not a case of buying tees I am not that poor yet:)

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ben Hogan said that on a teeing ground, it is the only chance you get in a round of golf to ensure you have a perfect lie by using a tee peg and that you should always, always take up this advantage.

How bizarre to state someone is wrong based upon the opinion of Ben Hogan.

FWIW 'In_The_Rough', I agree that there are without doubt circumstances when you may choose not to use a tee with a SW... or other clubs for that matter. Depends how your confidence is that day, how you're striking the ball, the condition and quality of the tee box, etc, etc, etc...

To say that Ben Hogan says so and therefore any other opinion 'is stupid' is stupid.