Tee for "casual" round for handicap purposes.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it has been the rule at many clubs for a number of years that the white/competition tees are only for competiton/team golf.

However with the introduction of WHS and the R&As guidance that there should be a range of tees availible to play from. I had assumed that courses would begin to allow golf from whatever tee players wished to play from.

Received an email today from my own club saying that is not the case. Just wondering have any clubs relaxed their thoughts on this?

J

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've always been able to pick which tees to play from, as have other courses I play regularly. I think the courses which specify particular tees are probably ones where slow play is an issue.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Up until a couple of years ago we only allowed competition play from the white tees....all general play golf was from the yellows. Primary reason really was the fact that our tee boxes are quite small and some dont offer much scope for moving the tees around so we were protecting them from wear.

New greenkeeper decided that it was ok to play off the whites in general play.

The white tees are currently in a "bit of a state" on some holes.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We're a hotel course, so it's strictly yellows for non-competition golf - members and visitors alike.

That said, as long as the tees have a course rating, or had an SSS in old money, then they're perfectly suitable for handicap purposes. I never understood the "you have to be handicapped off the whites only" attitude.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Out of date attitude imo. The only justification these days is protection/preparation of 'Competition' Tees for an upcoming event.
The 3 clubs I've most recently been a member of (only changed because of living/working location) had no problem with anyone playing of whichever tee they considered appropriate.
Current club does have a set of 'Pro' Tees that I've played a couple of times - when I was capable. Only make a difference on a few (Par 3 particiularly) holes. and the Jamaiga Tour, which uses the course quite often, doesn't use the back Tees on 2 or 3 of them as deemed 'too challenging'!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We used to be any tees you like until last year where now it is yellows unless you are in a competition off the whites. For me, I think that is wrong. You should be able to choose, I'd still choose yellow, but it's up to the bloke in charge, proprietary club. No explanation as to why the change ?‍♂️

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Up until a couple of years ago we only allowed competition play from the white tees....all general play golf was from the yellows. Primary reason really was the fact that our tee boxes are quite small and some dont offer much scope for moving the tees around so we were protecting them from wear.

New greenkeeper decided that it was ok to play off the whites in general play.

The white tees are currently in a "bit of a state" on some holes.
Simple solution is for the GKs to move the 'White' Tees (for the day) onto the back of the 'Yellows' on those holes (and possibly Yellows forward). I'm pretty certain members would understand the reasoning.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Simple solution is for the GKs to move the 'White' Tees (for the day) onto the back of the 'Yellows' on those holes (and possibly Yellows forward). I'm pretty certain members would understand the reasoning.

It would be....but with the surge in members now putting cards in for General Play via the MyEG app there is an onus to keep the course at a length within 100yds of its full measurement....otherwise we then start having to tell folks that they cant submit General Play scores for handicap on certain days of the week....either that or we start getting into issuing "temporary course ratings" for the days when the course is shorter.

What we really need is several hundred tonnes of Earth being delivered so we can extend some tees!!

D

Deleted member 15344

We have moved to pick the tee you wish

But we have some very small tee areas that already starting to show signs of wear and tear so the Green staff on those tees have put the whites next to the yellows.

D-S

Visit site
Never have understood this attitude, surely you need to spread the wear and having everyone battering hell out of your yellow tees day in day out is just short sighted. We have allowed any tee to be used by anyone for years now, in reality the bulk of the play is from the yellows and and the tips get played by the good or foolish.
I hate the members only off the whites attitude when visiting another course, a bit like the visitors car park or changing room. I’ve paid far more on that day to play the course than any other member, if you don’t want me then fine just say so.
I remember asking, having paid a green fee, at Fontainebleau GC in France which tees I could play off, I got a smile and the reply ‘any tees you want, because today you are a member’. Proper golf club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fortunately we have the luxury of three men's tees. The longest (white) are reserved for competitions. The forward (yellow are for members and all visiting parties). The blues are not too much shorter than the whites and are for all members. Although a Members' club we have a very heavy footfall (both members and visitors) so it was decided many years ago to introduce the blue tees to protect the quality of the whites.
A few years later the then EGU decided to recommend that clubs introduce new blue or black tees behind the whites to give courses extra length.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We switched a couple of years ago. When you watch most days despite being allowed to it is noticeable how few choose the white tees.

Personally I only ever put in a General Play card from the whites tees which helps to balance out Senior comps which are mainly from the yellows. ( there is only 1.2 difference in Course Rating but I often find more than 2 shots in actual play). Noticeable yesterday Seniors comp off whites and only 1 person played nett under par and conditions were quite good.

Yet to have all tees rated for both sexes though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yet to have all tees rated for both sexes though.
Don'thold your breath!
Though it would be great to see it happen, I believe the 'priority' was to get the ratings done for '90%' of members. So I expect it'll take a very long time - and a lot of correspondence - to get Reds for Males and Yellows/Whites for Ladies rated for those clubs where it hasn't already been done!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
You'll miss some of the best courses.

Not really, Sunningdale and Loch Lomond were happy for me to play off the back.

I'm at a top 50 club. You pay your money, you are a member for the day. If you are a decent player, playing off the yellows ruins the James Braid design, you can easily carry all the danger.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Choose your tee at my place.

Members tend to play casually from yellows still, but me and my PP's often move to play off whites as the tee boxes are about 10x better than our yellows.

We are the local "cheap course" so the twice a year hackers play their golf at our place and therefore the yellow tees get hacked to bits at times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea what the rule is at my club to be honest. Someone told me you can only play the whites at weekends, but I've no idea if that's true or not.

At Aldenham yesterday, all the white markers were placed with the yellow markers, removing the choice altogether. :LOL: