Technically, what is the earliest point you could win a singles matchplay game?

Swango1980

Visit site
As there is now only one breach that adjusts the match score (4.1b), you can get to dormie 10.
But a result can occur without playing any stroke on the 9th if a breach of certain rules occurs between the 8th green and 9th tee. ie When the breach happens or continues between two holes, you get the general penalty for the next hole.
So, is the biggest win 11&10 under the current rules?

Springveldt

Visit site
That does remind me . I played a friendly match at one club with their chairman as an opponent. Being courteous and friendly I waited until we were in the car park together after the match to tell him that the double sided chipper he was using was not allowed. "Thanks" he said "I'll get rid of it". He turned up at our Open the following week with the club still in his bag.
I was under the wrong impression that those were allowed but I've just read the rules and if the loft is over 10 degrees (which it will be) then it's illegal as you can have a putter with identical sides but not a club.

Why would anyone need a double sided one anyway? Do they not make then single sided?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was under the wrong impression that those were allowed but I've just read the rules and if the loft is over 10 degrees (which it will be) then it's illegal as you can have a putter with identical sides but not a club.

Why would anyone need a double sided one anyway? Do they not make then single sided?
I guess you could sneakily use it out of the trees left-handed if you needed to. But that'll be why the rule says you can't.

I played with a guy once who used the back of his putter (a blade putter, so using the hollow bit that people often use to pick up their ball on the green) to chip out left-handed from against a tree and insisted that was allowed. I had no idea so I just let him crack on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess you could sneakily use it out of the trees left-handed if you needed to. But that'll be why the rule says you can't.

I played with a guy once who used the back of his putter (a blade putter, so using the hollow bit that people often use to pick up their ball on the green) to chip out left-handed from against a tree and insisted that was allowed. I had no idea so I just let him crack on.

Nothing wrong with using the reverse side of a conforming club.

They are made single sided and are conforming.

A double sided one would effectively give you and extra club in the bag so you could hit shots with the reverse side to get you out of trouble.

The was one company selling the double sided ones and told people buying them they counted as 2 clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with using the reverse side of a conforming club.

They are made single sided and are conforming.

A double sided one would effectively give you and extra club in the bag so you could hit shots with the reverse side to get you out of trouble.

The was one company selling the double sided ones and told people buying them they counted as 2 clubs.
Are you allowed one in the bag if you only have 12 other clubs?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t think so !
I thought they were non conforming.
But I thought the reason they were non-conforming was:
So if you only had 12 other clubs the 'extra club' means you're only at 14. ?‍♂️

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But I thought the reason they were non-conforming was:

So if you only had 12 other clubs the 'extra club' means you're only at 14. ?‍♂️
That’s not the reason for the not comforming It’s having two faces.
If you went to play with just one club that’s fine.
But if you went with just this chipper you can’t play in a comp with it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the answer is Yes, you can carry any non-conforming club so long as it is not used, isn’t that the rule change from 2019 for non-conforming Clubs?
Technically correct .
You can carry what you like as long as you deem them out of play before you start.
But why carry a club you would not use.

D

Deleted member 16999

Technically correct .
You can carry what you like as long as you deem them out of play before you start.
But why carry a club you would not use.
You may have a non-conforming Club in your bag you practise with or be unaware it is non-conforming.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry gents but there's a middle ground and neither of your statements are correct.

You cannot just deliberately "carry what you like" and deem it out of play.
Neither is it true to say "you can't knowingly have 15 clubs in the bag without penalty" .

Rule 4.1c(2):
(2) Before Round. If a player becomes aware shortly before starting a round that he or she accidentally has more than 14 clubs, the player should try to leave the excess club or clubs behind.

But as an option without penalty:

• The player may take any such excess clubs out of play before the start of the round, using the procedure in (1), and
  • The excess clubs may be kept by the player (but must not be used) during the round, and they do not count towards the 14-club limit.
So, if you discover just before you tee off that you accidentally have 15 clubs, you may declare one out of play but still knowingly carry it.

Rule 4.1c Specifically note last Paragraph Knowingly and accidentally do not tally.

(2) Before Round. If a player becomes aware shortly before starting a round that he or she accidentally .

But as an option without penalty:

• The player may take any such excess clubs out of play before the start of the round, using the procedure in (1), and
  • The excess clubs may be kept by the player (but must not be used) during the round, and they do not count towards the 14-club limit.

If a player deliberately brings more than 14 clubs to his or her first teeing area and starts the round without leaving the excess clubs behind, this option is not allowed and Rule 4.1b(1) applies.