Technically, what is the earliest point you could win a singles matchplay game?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This may be an old chestnut, or asked before, but was discussing it with 2 friends who are rules oficianadoes in our sweep today.

I wont put up with what potential scenario we come up with for now, but what's your thinking.

BTW If someone already knows the definitive answer, let us have a bit of fun for a little bit first.

Thoughts?

There you go Jack and Irving.(y);)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll go with winning 12 & 10 ie after the 8th hole.
That is, you win the first 8 holes and your opponent had 15 clubs in their bag for a few holes so suffer a deduction of 2 holes from the match score for "too many clubs'. At the moment I can't think of any other current rules with "deduction of hole" penalties - but I'm going to guess there's at least one more. So that would be 8 holes won, plus 4 hole deducted, equals 12 holes up and only 10 left to play. (Under the pre-2019 rules I'm sure there were more than the current "too many clubs" rule)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm struggling to see how you can win more than 1 hole per hole, ie you can't be 2 up after 1 can you? ?‍♂️
So I'll start the ball rolling with the obvious 10 and 8.
As per my other reply, you could be 2 up after one hole, or 4 up after 2 if you win the first 2 holes and you oppo' has too many clubs in their bag.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really?
OK, not doubting you as I never heard of this, so you win the 1st and he discovers 15 clubs, you're 2 up??
Yep. Rule 4.1b has a penalty of " score revision" whereby the result of the hole stands, but the match score is revised by deducting a hole from the players score - for each hole where the breach occurred (up to max of 2 holes). Its different to the usual "loss of hole" penalty. So if, say, player A has too many clubs on the first hole and wins it, then score is adusted and state of match is all square. If they halve the hole, then A would be 1 down, and if A lost, he'd be 2 down.

Ps: it's different in strokeplay - where the penalty is the more usual "2 shots" for each hole where breach occurs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll go with winning 12 & 10 ie after the 8th hole.
That is, you win the first 8 holes and your opponent had 15 clubs in their bag for a few holes so suffer a deduction of 2 holes from the match score for "too many clubs'. At the moment I can't think of any other current rules with "deduction of hole" penalties - but I'm going to guess there's at least one more. So that would be 8 holes won, plus 4 hole deducted, equals 12 holes up and only 10 left to play. (Under the pre-2019 rules I'm sure there were more than the current "too many clubs" rule)
Lateness .
If you arrive within 5 mins late ready to play you lose the first hole.
But do you still play that first hole?
How can you be 2 up after 1 hole?
Same with the to many club breaches can you win a hole that has been given to you by ops rule infringement.
So am going for 10&8 as you can’t win 2 holes on any given hole.

Peter say hello to Mr Glassman for me.;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

What about penalties for using non-conforming Clubs or Balls, would that effect the result if found on consecutive holes?
Good thread(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about penalties for using non-conforming Clubs or Balls, would that effect the result if found on consecutive holes?
Good thread(y)
Think that would be more of a DQ
Logic says if you win a hole where your op breaches a rule you can only win one hole at a time.
Any hole he wins he loses but it’s only one hole at a time.
So after 10 holes you have won he can’t catch you so 10&8 for me.
Great question you are right but sometimes logic and the rules don’t go hand in hand.

birdyhunter

Visit site
You both hit your first drives then the other bloke gets a phone call saying that his wife is about to give birth so he concedes all the holes... that's quite early!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You both hit your first drives then the other bloke gets a phone call saying that his wife is about to give birth so he concedes all the holes... that's quite early!
That’s a con session though.
I think the question was if you actually play the match .
With the word win in the title, that’s how I read it anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

Think that would be more of a DQ
Logic says if you win a hole where your op breaches a rule you can only win one hole at a time.
Any hole he wins he loses but it’s only one hole at a time.
So after 10 holes you have won he can’t catch you so 10&8 for me.
Great question you are right but sometimes logic and the rules don’t go hand in hand.
I think in matchplay it’s loss of hole for the ball, ie, 3rd or 4th Hole opponent plays his ball off tee into rubbish, you find it and discover it’s a non-conforming one, he loses that hole, that’s is on top of any other previous issues, next hole you notice the Driver he uses is an old non-conforming one, another hole lost. ;)