Taylormade

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,
After a bit of advice for a mate of mine.
My mate is a low handicap player, he has had his P790 's for 3 years (half of that they have been in the house unused due to lockdowns etc.) and is very happy with them. He cleans them and takes care of them.
However if you look at the picture attached this is of 1 of his irons, as you can see the shaft has started to pit(think that's the right word) and looks awful, would you say this is normal for irons that are 3 years old.

Does anyone on the forum have number /email address for some one in Taylormade that he could contact to find out if this is a flaw. He has done a form on the main taylormade site but has not received a answer.
He is a big fan of Taylormade and he will no doubt buy his next set from them.

Thanks for any help.

Midnight. IMG-20211117-WA0002.jpg

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That looks terrible. I wouldn't expect that from irons that are 20 years old. I suspect he may have cleaned them with something he shouldn't have. Like brick acid ?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That looks terrible. I wouldn't expect that from irons that are 20 years old. I suspect he may have cleaned them with something he shouldn't have. Like brick acid ?

I thought that at first mate ??, but no and it is only this 1 iron out of the set. The others are still as good as new.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They look awful, I've just got the 2021 p790's!! That can't be normal, my older irons are Callaway Apex CF16, 6 years old and the shafts still look perfect.

I can't help on the contact side however if he's not having any luck with their contact form it might well be worth trying Twitter, that sort of picture will get a response pretty quickly i'd imagine!!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jeez, that’s terrible. My Taylormade irons (different model) are a similar age and immaculate.

I bought a TM bag a couple of years ago, something on it broke off after 12 months, retailer said tough, and so I tweeted TM a photo asking if they thought it was acceptable/normal. They replied and I had a brand new bag FOC within 2 days, didn’t even have to give the other one back.

So I’d go down that route. They’ll want to protect their reputation, especially looking at that shaft.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Make sure you send a picture of the whole set to show its just one iron.
Easy for TM to say its been left in a damp place for months but with a pic of the others they'll have a job backing out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have a Facebook page with the ability to contact them via Messenger. Social media accounts of these companies are often better looked after than enquiry pages. It would be a good starting point and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's not pitting, that's either a case of terrible chrome plating or the club has been left in the sea for 2 years.

Your mate would have been better off buying a 50 year old set of Dunlop irons.
Definitely an issue with the chrome plating. That shaft has not been thoroughly pre-prepped for the process and chrome plate has not adhered correctly..
As others have suggested he should send a picture of all the clubs and give TM a chance to rectify.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely worth a go on social media if they don't respond via the normal route. Definitely needs an answer and resolving but they may ask for the whole set back to check the condition of all of the clubs for themselves even if the others don't look to be damaged and as KenL says they may insist on going via the original retailer.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That looks terrible! I've got the p790 and nothing like that has happened to the shafts - I've got Project X 6.0 and they look brand new.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve had the exact same issue when I’ve kept previous sets in the garage and been carrying. The clanking around in a stand bag and the damp cold winter conditions are the perfect mix for this issue. kept my clubs inside ever since without issue.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
TM didn't make the shaft, can't tell what it is, but likely TT DG or KBS, and either one is cheap as chips for them, so I would expect they would swap out the shaft for you without too much fuss.