Taylormade Paint Quality - disappointed

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
So my new Taylormade M4 hybrid arrived on Friday evening, I've played two rounds with it, and it looks like it's 6 months old :(

One very bad swing, the ball has scratched the hell out of the silver paint on the toe. Have played about 20 shots with it in total and the face is ridiculously scratched up, even after cleaning the ball before each shot.

I understand that this is part and parcel of club wear and tear, I know that if you don't clean the dirt off the ball, the grit scratches it. Admittedly I shouldn't have hit the ball off the toe, but I'm a bit disappointed with the face in general, I don't understand why club manufacturers continue with black faces that scratch off within a few swings. With the prices we pay for clubs these days, you'd think that they could come up with somethng to make the paint and decal a little more hard wearing.

On the plus side, when I hit it straight, it's like a bazooka, very long, very pleased with it. It's a great club to have in the bag and will continue to use it often, even if it does look like a ten year old club by the end of the season :D

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Did you catch it a little fat when you marked it on the toe? Unfortunately I have found that if you have either a black or traditional face that it scuffs up badly if you catch one fat when the ground is particularly gritty in the winter. Black will just be more obvious on the eye!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So my new Taylormade M4 hybrid arrived on Friday evening, I've played two rounds with it, and it looks like it's 6 months old :(

One very bad swing, the ball has scratched the hell out of the silver paint on the toe. Have played about 20 shots with it in total and the face is ridiculously scratched up, even after cleaning the ball before each shot.

I understand that this is part and parcel of club wear and tear, I know that if you don't clean the dirt off the ball, the grit scratches it. Admittedly I shouldn't have hit the ball off the toe, but I'm a bit disappointed with the face in general, I don't understand why club manufacturers continue with black faces that scratch off within a few swings. With the prices we pay for clubs these days, you'd think that they could come up with somethng to make the paint and decal a little more hard wearing.

On the plus side, when I hit it straight, it's like a bazooka, very long, very pleased with it. It's a great club to have in the bag and will continue to use it often, even if it does look like a ten year old club by the end of the season :D

At which stage you can replace it with a nice shiny new M6 (or whatever iteration theyre on by then)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Did you catch it a little fat when you marked it on the toe? Unfortunately I have found that if you have either a black or traditional face that it scuffs up badly if you catch one fat when the ground is particularly gritty in the winter. Black will just be more obvious on the eye!

Quite possibly, was almost dark, trying to squeeze in a final hole.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would take photos of it and send it to TM. It's not as if the manufacturers don't know the circumstances or conditions in which the club will be used and if you're paying a lot of money for a club, you expect it to have some resilience.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
TM paint quality has always been rubbish since they introduced white heads. The Ghost putter range also used to chip really badly and the white headed drivers used to chip along the top line at the face very regularly.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can conquer regarding the white headed putters. My Ghost marinello putter has white bits of the paint missing. Even wiping it with soapy water resulted in some of the paint coming off.
Not good 😕

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can conquer regarding the white headed putters. My Ghost marinello putter has white bits of the paint missing. Even wiping it with soapy water resulted in some of the paint coming off.
Not good ��

Those white TM putter always look battered on ebay.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
:rofl:

Spoke to TM customer service yesterday, not to complain - I understand the why's and wherefore's. I was just providing feedback and a suggestion that they could perhaps do something better for the price. Their only suggestion was to take it back to my pro, and if they thought it warranted a return, it would be handled through that channel.

I'm not looking for a return, or replacement, just hoping for improvement in future.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
please stick some photos up here to see what its like.
This, i'd be interested to see how much a few hits has done to it. I'm not going to shell out for a little while yet but when I do i'm expecting something that looks new for quite a while, if it looks knocked about i'll know to not consider the clubs.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty standard with TM clubs I think. I have similar looking M2 hybrids from last year that have "scuffed up" like that. As long as they still perform that's the main thing pal. :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here ya go, approx 20 shots played with the club over two rounds, and ball cleaned for each shot on winter rules.

View attachment 24569

View attachment 24570

I'm afraid I think that's just the nature of the beast having a black face. They do mark up a fair bit.

In saying that it isn't really noticeable from address unless you really roof one. The marks always look worse when it first happens.

I remember when I first got my sm4 vokeys. I didn't want to hit shots out of a bunker with them because they looked so nice.

Before long you will remember why you bought it. They are tools of the game and you will like the club for what it does and not what it looks like.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's grit damage; the nature of the ground you used it on has produced it.

Any club face would suffer the same but the colour of the face and underlying material will dictate how it looks.

I've a 3 week old Cally hybrid that looks similar on close inspection, except the scratching is finer from less coarse material.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Cheers chaps, am fully aware that it is grit damage, and inevitable, just disappointed that it happened so quickly and that the manufacturers continue to make clubs with black faces that highlight this. My old Callaway hybrid was similar, although I'm sure it took a bit longer before it looked like the TM.

I just wish that the manufacturers could do something more resilient, or go back to silver faces, given the price we pay for the kit.