Taylormade p790,titliest ap3 ,Ping i210???

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
ok after having a brainstorm a couple of weeks ago about going back to gi irons I’ve done a compare with a friends tmade rsi1 irons against my Nike vapor pro combos (forged)and after a couple of weeks I’m enjoying the forgiveness but just not really liking the chunky short iron soles and top lines .So went in to speak to my local pro today about irons and he said some of the new forged offerings are surprisingly forgiving so I’m having a fitting this week to see what’s what anyone tried the above 3 ?what was your outcome I love the look of the p790s but read about inconsistent distances ect???The ap3 look nice to the eye and the pings are having good reviews like the other thread running about them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried all of these and went for AP3s Project x LZ 5.5.
I did like the TM and it was close.
A good fitter will put you in the best head shaft combo so it may not be one of these just go with an open mind.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok after having a brainstorm a couple of weeks ago about going back to gi irons I’ve done a compare with a friends tmade rsi1 irons against my Nike vapor pro combos (forged)and after a couple of weeks I’m enjoying the forgiveness but just not really liking the chunky short iron soles and top lines .So went in to speak to my local pro today about irons and he said some of the new forged offerings are surprisingly forgiving so I’m having a fitting this week to see what’s what anyone tried the above 3 ?what was your outcome I love the look of the p790s but read about inconsistent distances ect???The ap3 look nice to the eye and the pings are having good reviews like the other thread running about them.

Of the 3 irons you've listed, only the P790's are forged, the others are cast. And the P790's and AP3's are both a hollow head design.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
ping are cast but dont let it put you off. you wont be able to tell the difference. ping have always been soft feeling.

as for the 3 irons. from the stats I've seen the ap3 and 790 will be lower spinning than the i210. you need to try them really and go with your gut

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I tried all of these and went for AP3s Project x LZ 5.5.
I did like the TM and it was close.
A good fitter will put you in the best head shaft combo so it may not be one of these just go with an open mind.

Ditto.

The ap3 irons seem very popular how forgiving are they in the long irons compared to the p790s

I can't speak for the TM's but I've finally found a set of irons that I can comfortably hit the 4 & 5 irons - I have a 718TMB 3 iron, and wish I could have stretched to a full set of them. I've been chasing a set of irons for a good few years where I was comfortable with the long irons. The short irons will go pretty much where you expect, although with a different feel to them.

This feel thing that every one talks about is overhyped. I've had Mizzies etc and yes there's a noticeable difference in the feel but not necessarily the result. Get past the, "I must have a buttery feel" and you'll be happy with cast.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

have you considered a set with GI models for the longer irons, and blades for the shorter ones?

I reckon I would put something like that together when I come to getting new bats

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about maybe a combo set .i like the idea of having more forgiving long irons as that’s the part of my game which struggles when the swing is not on point .I’m really fancying the p790s after seeing them in the flesh today they look lovely but will see what actually performs for me maybe a ap1 longiron with ap3/ap2 short iron combo set or similar would be better for me .

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about maybe a combo set .i like the idea of having more forgiving long irons as that’s the part of my game which struggles when the swing is not on point .I’m really fancying the p790s after seeing them in the flesh today they look lovely but will see what actually performs for me maybe a ap1 longiron with ap3/ap2 short iron combo set or similar would be better for me .

you not considering the i500?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Place I was in today were doing single Ping i200, iBlades and G400 irons for £108 to £115.

Get 1 a month and you'd be up and running for the start of next season.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a big lover of the AP3 as a set, but the long irons are really good. Friend got a full set and I agree with him regards to the shorter irons being hard to control different types of shots. He was relieved that he never sold his i25 as he has gone back them and is playing a lot better. I've always been a Mizuno player so probably find that a lot of clubs feel hard off the face.

But I would not be against maybe getting the 3-5 AP3 and the rest in AP2. The 3i really is easy to hit nice and high and was still nice back in the stance hitting a punchy shot.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not turning my nose up to anything I’m going to try all sorts as a whole and what pleases my eye and performs for me I’ll go with so I will try various pings ect just after having a little look yesterday the ap3,p790s and ping 210 really looked nice to me especially the p790 but I’m going in open minded to be honest .

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Two things; see what the flights cope/trackman results suggest, and then what looks good to the eye. Several sets ago I went purely on what Trackman said, Ping S55's. The results were decent but I just didn't like looking down on them.

I shot a 2 under gross with them, and sold them before the following Saturday.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing with this is the lofts between 3 different clubs are different and will need to be tweaked to give consistent gaps in your set!

But a good fitter will sort this out.