Taylor Made R9 TP Irons

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the guys on here who own them whats your thoughts on them any reviews?.
Hit a 6 iron as a warm up club at TM the other day and they felt good whats your thoughts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wish I'd gone for the R9 TP's instead of the ordinary version. I think they are an honest enough club but a bit chunky for a so called players club and there are definitely others out there that look better behind the ball. The ball flight was a bit low for me. Personally I'd wait and see what these new forged models look like as it may help knock the price of the R9's (and the TP's) down

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Steve, I got mine in december, only had a couple rounds with them so far, but overall, I am very pleased with them. They feel better than my tour preferreds, I have kbs shafts in mine, they feel distinctly lighter than my previous clubs, (i know they are, but it is noticible). I have had several range sessions with them, and feel that I can control them better, dispersion feels better, and it feels like they are coming out the sweet spot more often.
Definately worth a try.

I am a bit of TM freak to say the least. I had tour burner irons and was playing well but then came across a set of TPs at a bang on price. Was custom fitted for them and they even came with the uprated project x shafts. I am hitting the ball higher (as the loft of each iron is more than the Tour Burners) but i am hitting them further as well. Time will tell when the summer comes but club for club i think they are going about 5-10 yards farther. I really do love them despite only having played about 8 rounds with them. My dispersion is better as well as they are less off set than my previous set and as a result i can hit a draw or a fade now.

On the whole i would give them about 9.5 out of 10 for me

:cool:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good shafts, KBS Tour, in the TP model, and KBS 90 in the non-TP, but the heads are not very good, and I was told that by a TM employee.

Don't buy them thinking you will have the same clubs as the TM Tour players. They all play one of two different versions made somewhere else.

The tour players definately have different heads on their sticks. You can get a Tour B or Tour C - have a look on ebay as they occasional have ex tour sets on the.
The Tour C is a virtual blade - the top on the C is thinner than a knife and there is no way I could hit those.

Why did the TM guy say they were a poor head ? the way they are made ? the materials used ?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good shafts, KBS Tour, in the TP model, and KBS 90 in the non-TP, but the heads are not very good, and I was told that by a TM employee.

Don't buy them thinking you will have the same clubs as the TM Tour players. They all play one of two different versions made somewhere else.

The set i saw had PX 5.5 shafts in them at a good price how would they compare to my MX 300 with the rifle 5.5 shaft in them Martin any ideas.

I saw these sets on ebay and they were double the price of the normal retail set.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tour players definately have different heads on their sticks. You can get a Tour B or Tour C - have a look on ebay as they occasional have ex tour sets on the.
The Tour C is a virtual blade - the top on the C is thinner than a knife and there is no way I could hit those.

Why did the TM guy say they were a poor head ? the way they are made ? the materials used ?

But Titleist and Mizuno Tour players generally use exactly the same heads as retail, albeit sometimes with a custom grind.

But not TM. TM supply clubs to leading amateurs and they all get the B and C heads too. The reasons I was told were inconsistent quality and clunky design. The B and C sets are very easy to get, especially on GolfWRX or if you know some people in the game in the UK. I have been offered them, but declined.

Many TM players also still use older TP models, including the 2005 model, which was lovely. TM likes to 'encourage' the players to switch up to the latest models, though.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

The set i saw had PX 5.5 shafts in them at a good price how would they compare to my MX 300 with the rifle 5.5 shaft in them Martin any ideas.

I saw these sets on ebay and they were double the price of the normal retail set.

PX 5.5 is about half a flex stiffer than Rifle 5.5, although PX varies a bit in flex, so it is hard to say for sure. PX has a different feel, usually described as 'boardy' which is not to everyone's liking. You need to demo something with the same shaft before buying.

Yeah i thought that about some of their pros hanging on to older clubs. Was Kaymer using an old set of RAC's when he won the US Pga and I know Goosen was still using a superquad driver about 12 months after the R9 came out but he had an R9 head cover.

Ah well i am stuck with them now as if i change anything in my bag again this year the Mrs will probably beat me to death with it :cool:

(A part from a shiny new driver - may be white :D )