Tantrums on the course

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Played with a guy a few weeks back whose behaviour shocked me. First few holes were okay and around the 7th hit a few bad shots and started hitting his bag with the club...Next hole more of the same and on the 11th and 12th when he putted out he lifted the ball out of the hole and threw it into an nearby field. eventually lifted his ball and went home after 13 (note 13th is pretty far from the clubhouse)

Worst ive seen outside of this was as kids when a mate fluffed a pitch into a river. He hit his bag which fell off the trolley. He then lifted the trolley and thru it into the river lol...pretty bad but as i said we were about 12

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of my mates threw a tantrum a few weeks ago after duffing a seven iron and promptly walloped his bag with the club. He must have caught the bag a bit cleaner than he caught the ball as he managed to break the shafts on his driver and three wood, which serves him right and I think taught him a bit of a lesson.

I wasn't playing that day but I wish I had been - he only realised he'd broken the shaft on the 3 wood when he went to lift it out the bag on the next tee and the head came out on it's own, and he only discovered the broken driver when it split in two during a swing! I'm told his face was a picture on both occasions.

A

Alex1975

Look after your clubs and your clubs will look after you!!

Going to the course with expectations is a dangerous thing... not recommended and can cause a strop.

I am an aggressive little so and so and am at my worst in the car but on the course I am usually totally chilled. It is more important to enjoy it then anything else!

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love it whenever some loses it on the course. Makes them look right Tossers..........
A Guy I played with a while ago, threw his wedge up a tree, where it stuck up the tree. He had to climb up to get it, then complained the rest of the round that that kind of tree SHOULDN'T be on golf courses, as I said TOSSER

T

thecraw

Nothing wrong with spitting the dummy once in a while!

Thecraw has been know to chuck a club once in a while!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have more issue with the person who moans about it than he who does it.

Carry on,it's good for the soul.Better oot than in....re-shafting is good for your local P.G.A. Pro too.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have to admit that little tantrums are creeping into my game. Nothing too drastic other than swearing at myself after an awful shot. Its so frustrating when you are only 2 over through 6 holes and on the 7th you hit two drives into the woods and sometimes I need to vent my anger. I was playing by myself by the way, I dont lose it when playing in a group.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
people may have noted on another thread that last Saturday my 8 iron suffered the same fate that my 6 iron did a number of years ago. I blame the lack of rain and stone hard ground here in the midlands that we are still suffering from.....they normally bounce when I throw them, not break right in the middle of a shaft.
( I would like to put an embarassed smiley here but still haven't worked out how to)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Walked off a few weeks ago which is as bad as it got. Didn't resort to club chucking or bag thumping but the volcano was about to blow and it was prudent to quit when I did. I use to get frustrated a lot especially when you'd been practicing well and go out on the course at the weekend and play like a dipstick. I'm trying (getting better) not to goout thinking its my day and a case of more in hope than expecatition and it will be what it will be. Funnily enough my best competitive scores have come when I thought I'd been swinging really poorly and so had no chance of doing well

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Craw - off subject, but now that tehy ar ebig enough that i can see them, what on earth is your Avatar ???
Is it something Scottish and similar to Wayne Rooney treading gently on Ronaldo's nuts in the World Cup?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to admit that little tantrums are creeping into my game. Nothing too drastic other than swearing at myself after an awful shot. Its so frustrating when you are only 2 over through 6 holes and on the 7th you hit two drives into the woods and sometimes I need to vent my anger. I was playing by myself by the way, I dont lose it when playing in a group.

Have you considered anger management?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have been known to drop a club every now and then if I play a duff shot. Tend not to throw them, just let go so that it drops on the ground. I know it's not the best way to react, but dropping the it is better than chucking it. Played at St Andrews back in August, on day 2 was playing the Duke's, can't remember which hole, but was on the back nine, had hit a great tee shot, split the middle, went up to play a hybrid for my second and totally duffed it into a bunker, let go of my club as it came through, but let go a little early, it took off like a helicopter went about fifty feet in the air and landed 30+ yds away in the rough. Was very red faced running over to retrieve it. Anyone who's played the Duke's will know how tough it is out there and how much bloody sand there is for a "heathland" course. No excuses.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've been known to "toss" the odd club in anger. Usually the putter or a wedge. Never lob my driver. It's too expensive and even on a good day I know that I can't expect everything to go straight!
Played on Sunday. Hit a lovely big drive on a par 4, literally left with a flicked wedge second shot, where I would normally be hitting a 7 or 8 iron. The drive was that good. Flicked the wedge, it landed just where I wanted it to, but took a wicked hop to the right and ended up in some really long grass just off the green. It was one of those horrible little chips where you've just got to get the ball moving a little and I flubbed it. And incurred a penalty for a double hit. Ended up walking off with double bogey where I should have made birdie. Wasn't very happy. Putter went awol.
Same at the Nevill the other week in a Charity day. Longish par 4 where I wasn't shotting. Hit a nice drive and 2nd shot but had come up about 5 yards short of the green. The grass was fairly short so decided to putt it rather than risk a chip. First putt didn't even make the bloody green because I hit the deck with my putter. 2nd putt came up well short. Missed the third putt so walked off with a blob. Fuming. 2 shots to cover 400 yards and it took me another 4 to cover the next 15. My putter went flying on that one too....:mad::mad:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you shout fore when you throw a club Smiffy ? Have I mentioned the day I nearly got hit by a sandwedge at Copthorne, by some old rascal ?:D

Shame I wasn't at the Nevill, I could have told you that a bad putt is always better than a bad chip.:p

S

Snelly

I have more issue with the person who moans about it than he who does it.

Carry on,it's good for the soul.Better oot than in....re-shafting is good for your local P.G.A. Pro too.

I am with you Dodger. A good swear and a little paddy at myself is never too far from one of my bad shots!