Talk about throwing it away!

jwlewes

Visit site
Had an absolute mad 5 minutes at the weekend which cost me a competition win and a lowest score ever off the back tees

+3 for the first 17 holes, 39 points, followed by worst tee shot of the day which just stays in bounds, catch my 8 iron fat from the rough and end up in a bush! 1 poor chip and a missed putt later and I score a 7, +6 on the day, stay at 39 points

Stuck between feeling great at how I played for the majority, as well as disappointed by how I played the last (Having recovered from +3 thru 3)!!

Anyone else have a rather annoying habit of throwing it away late?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So many times as I am about to tee off on our par 5 18th…all I need to do is play this vaguely sensibly and a 5 is straightforward, and I find myself writing in an 8…no matter how hard I might have tried. Ah…there’s the thing…I tried…?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a habit but the most memorable was standing over my 2nd shot on the 17th at 2 under and standing on the 18th tee at 2 over.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a habit but the most memorable was standing over my 2nd shot on the 17th at 2 under and standing on the 18th tee at 2 over.
My equivalent was same, except I stood over fairway shot on 17th at 1 under, and finished 1 over. Damn…

But maybe I‘ve turned a corner as last time out after going double bogey, single bogey, I stood on our 15th tee at four over facing difficult 15, 16 and 17, plus disaster prone 18th, so hoping to hang on in there, and went par, birdie, par, birdie ?.

It doesn’t always have to be thrown away.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had an absolute mad 5 minutes at the weekend which cost me a competition win and a lowest score ever off the back tees

+3 for the first 17 holes, 39 points, followed by worst tee shot of the day which just stays in bounds, catch my 8 iron fat from the rough and end up in a bush! 1 poor chip and a missed putt later and I score a 7, +6 on the day, stay at 39 points

Stuck between feeling great at how I played for the majority, as well as disappointed by how I played the last (Having recovered from +3 thru 3)!!

Nothing worse than throwing away a good round on the last couple of holes. Earlier this year I was stood on the 17th tee with 16 pars safely marked on the card. Cue the double bogey, bogey finish to play to my handicap. ?

Barking_Mad

Visit site

You played really well after a poorish start. That's a good recovery and shows stickability. Focus on that rather than the last hole, but make a note of why you went wrong. Just a bad swing? Mental mistake on the recovery with an 8 iron?

Work it out then move on. Take the positives ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So 17 good holes and 1 bad one.
That’s a pretty good ratio.
It happens to the best in the world.
Only thing is on 18 it’s to late to repair the damage.
Just file it under unlucky ,don’t beat yourself up.

TigerBear

Visit site

That's a sore one but focus on the positives and a solid round overall(y)

This is why I don't like to check the scorecard too often!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m skilled enough to be able to throw it away at any point in the round. Memorable examples:

Club champs, 2nd tee, huge slice into the trees, provisional into the cabbage ‘I’ll find one of them’ I thought…got down there, no sign of them. Ran back to the tee, hit another, into the cabbage again (only took 1 ball), couldn’t find that either and no chance am I running back again so I knocked it on the head and supported my PPs for the rest of the round!

And more recently, playing with the former captain in a medal, he’s off 3, I’m off 18, I’m playing a quite well, 5 over I think. Got to the 8th, had a mare, scored a 9 on a par 4, lost my head and proceeded to score terribly for the next few holes and ended up around +30. Couldn’t even NR cos of who my PP was. 2nd last.

jwlewes

Visit site
You played really well after a poorish start. That's a good recovery and shows stickability. Focus on that rather than the last hole, but make a note of why you went wrong. Just a bad swing? Mental mistake on the recovery with an 8 iron?

Work it out then move on. Take the positives ?

Bit of both - I'm not too worried about it, Just the fact it happened on 18 is the last memory of that round!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Bit of both - I'm not too worried about it, Just the fact it happened on 18 is the last memory of that round!

I played a few weeks ago. Needed a 4 for a round of 84 on a course I'd never broken 90 on.

Hit a great 260 yard drive to 10 feet of the lake in front of the green, then dumped two simple 40 yard chips in said lake. Both times I swung my wedge to the 40 yards distance, and was surprised both went in. No idea what was going through my head ?

Took an 8 for a 90. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a few weeks ago. Needed a 4 for a round of 84 on a course I'd never broken 90 on.

Hit a great 260 yard drive to 10 feet of the lake in front of the green, then dumped two simple 40 yard chips in said lake. Both times I swung my wedge to the 40 yards distance, and was surprised both went in. No idea what was going through my head ?

Took an 8 for a 90. ?
That’s why the pros lay up to 80/100 yds .
It’s easier to hit a full shot than 40 yds especially if you have water to go over.
Sometimes the shots that look easy are the hardest when the pressure is on.
I would not fancy 40yds over water.
Have you changed the way you play the hole after this.?