Takeaway 'feeling'

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Is the takeaway a 'pull' with the right arm, a 'push' with the left arm, both or neither?

Context for this question is I play right-handed, I throw right-handed, but left-handed for writing. My common bad shot is a big push/slice right and I think this happens when I am too left-hand dominant in my takeaway and downswing, it's almost like a cover drive in Cricket. I'm trying to bring my right arm into my takeaway and downswing more, but how much more? Should my right side be dominant and dictating to my left side? Should it feel about equal?

Any help much appreciated!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I was always confused about the takeaway & bought John Jacobs' "Play Better Golf", still one of the best, simplest instruction books I've read. He says to start the swing by turning the right shoulder to the right i.e. allow the shoulders to move both arms together. It transformed my game at the time & I still use this method. I never feel that one arm or the other is controlling the swing. I'm a leftie playing right handed so I'd struggle to stop the left arm controlling the swing.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
The first thing I'd check would be your grip.
If that is spot on (unlikely), then worry about your swing path/arms

Thank you, I'm having relatively regular lessons (~every 4-6 weeks) and being told grip is spot on, it's the what the takeaway (and I guess to a lesser extent the from the top of the swing through to impact) should feel like in terms of which body part(s) should be dominant.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you, I'm having relatively regular lessons (~every 4-6 weeks) and being told grip is spot on, it's the what the takeaway (and I guess to a lesser extent the from the top of the swing through to impact) should feel like in terms of which body part(s) should be dominant.

All that matters is that you get to a good position at the top of the backswing to pull/drive/turn from.
As for the downswing, no individual part should be dominant, it happens too fast.

What goes back goes back together, what comes down comes down together.
KISS

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was always confused about the takeaway & bought John Jacobs' "Play Better Golf", still one of the best, simplest instruction books I've read. He says to start the swing by turning the right shoulder to the right i.e. allow the shoulders to move both arms together. It transformed my game at the time & I still use this method. I never feel that one arm or the other is controlling the swing. I'm a leftie playing right handed so I'd struggle to stop the left arm controlling the swing.

Totally agree with MIB that’s transformed my short game. Shoulders first

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a Hockey player (and penalty corner taker), I was advised to think of my right hand/wrist as if hammering a nail. Slight adjustment for golf - following through - works pretty well, if tending to promote a slight fade.
And takeway has always been driven by the shoulders/trunk.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So basically Chris, don’t roll my wrists?

Absolutely not Baz. For me it's a movement that is unnecessary, you roll it open, you have to roll it back square.

My irons swing start with the shaft well forward at address, the trail hand cocked back and my lead hand just straight and I just hold it through the back swing and the downswing. I just feel my trail hand facing the ground a little before impact and it releases through impact.

It's a strong hit as the shaft is still ahead of the club head at impact. The only problem I get is, if I take the club a more than "just a little " on the inside as it gives a pull left. I concentrate on my hand always staying in front of my body, and NOT getting stuck behind it. At 69 I still can hit a 7 iron 160 yards and a 5 iron 190 with a slight draw as the irons are all delofted at impact.

I think Mike Malaska explains it better than I do!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At the moment the only takeaway feeling I have is that of my strike position at address and I am not bothering what I am doing on the backswing.:oops:

I just have to return the clubhead to the ball in whatever way is necessary to make the ball do what I wish of it. Proving to be a bit of a challenge at the moment but will have further goes on the range today.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely not Baz. For me it's a movement that is unnecessary, you roll it open, you have to roll it back square.

My irons swing start with the shaft well forward at address, the trail hand cocked back and my lead hand just straight and I just hold it through the back swing and the downswing. I just feel my trail hand facing the ground a little before impact and it releases through impact.

It's a strong hit as the shaft is still ahead of the club head at impact. The only problem I get is, if I take the club a more than "just a little " on the inside as it gives a pull left. I concentrate on my hand always staying in front of my body, and NOT getting stuck behind it. At 69 I still can hit a 7 iron 160 yards and a 5 iron 190 with a slight draw as the irons are all delofted at impact.

I think Mike Malaska explains it better than I do!

Sounds like you’re getting it out there - fair play.