Swing

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone help with my swing, I seem to hit a lot of high shots that lack distance I normally make clean contact but I take no turf at all more of just skimming the surface

https://youtu.be/UopLRqzeCJA

know it ain't easy due to the layout of majority of driving ranges - but if you could shoot your swing from face-on (lens opposite center & at hands high height - then watch it back on youtube goin into settings changing speed to 0.25 - likely then be able to see what the hands & clubhead are doin coming into impact plus what looks like a possible subconscious body lean back - check how much weight is still on the trailside just prior to impact - weight pressure 'feel' with irons got to favor the lead foot & leg before the club starts down

so at strike (which would guess is also not at optimum contact height on the clubface) the clubhead is getting there a tad before the hands & handle plus from this angle just after strike you can see that the clubface is a tad open plus the downswing starts at transition by traveling a tad out'n over so you swinging left through strike with the tad open face of the club meaning all this stuff is adding 'loft' at strike

- to strike an iron at optimum contact height on the face the dynamic loft needs to be a tad lower than the static loft of that particular club - that ways you can get maximum "compression" at strike which gives (assuming also a center strike) the most efficient transference of chs to bs plus optimum launch angle & optimum spinrate - to give both good trajectory - peak height - distance

think maybes something a tad funky goin on with the griphold (leadhand) which is adding this extra loft at strike

imagine at the top of the swing your hands & handle have traveled to be level with a shelf - you want to keep the hands/handle up on that shelf while you transfer weight pressure to the lead leg - has the effect of keeping the back to target a tad longer & helps change the swing path through strike - along with that need to feel you're holding the handle in the lead hand nearer the bottom of the fingers so handle more in the fingers (not up in the palm under the thumb pad) plus the handle is more 90º to the fingers as opposed to being more diagonal across the palm

so in effect the lead hand on the handle then is in a similar position it would be if you were trying to lift up a heavy suitcase by the lead hand the suitcase handle would be a bunch nearer the base of the fingers & a bunch closer to 90º to the hand/fingers - you wouldn't try to pick a heavy suitcase with the lead hand with the handle running higher up in the palm under the thumbpad & also the suitcase lying diagonally as that would compromise the wrist angle

for sure a trip to a pga pro would be the best & quickest ways to have you back on track

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not often, I slice right more more with my 4i and hybrid, 8 through wedges are mostly straight and high

Your clubpath is quite a bit out to in at impact. (heading left)
If sometimes your clubface is square to the path at impact, the ball would start on that left path (hence my question)

If the ball starts right, the clubface must be open to the target at impact which adds loft to the face, hence the high right shot.

Try the drill below and I'd make a small wager you hit the front headcover.

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&index=32&t=0s&list=PL7Uf2W3sfv qYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

And get your grip checked to make sure your left hand isn't too weak

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
know it ain't easy due to the layout of majority of driving ranges - but if you could shoot your swing from face-on (lens opposite center & at hands high height - then watch it back on youtube goin into settings changing speed to 0.25 - likely then be able to see what the hands & clubhead are doin coming into impact plus what looks like a possible subconscious body lean back - check how much weight is still on the trailside just prior to impact - weight pressure 'feel' with irons got to favor the lead foot & leg before the club starts down

so at strike (which would guess is also not at optimum contact height on the clubface) the clubhead is getting there a tad before the hands & handle plus from this angle just after strike you can see that the clubface is a tad open plus the downswing starts at transition by traveling a tad out'n over so you swinging left through strike with the tad open face of the club meaning all this stuff is adding 'loft' at strike

- to strike an iron at optimum contact height on the face the dynamic loft needs to be a tad lower than the static loft of that particular club - that ways you can get maximum "compression" at strike which gives (assuming also a center strike) the most efficient transference of chs to bs plus optimum launch angle & optimum spinrate - to give both good trajectory - peak height - distance

think maybes something a tad funky goin on with the griphold (leadhand) which is adding this extra loft at strike

imagine at the top of the swing your hands & handle have traveled to be level with a shelf - you want to keep the hands/handle up on that shelf while you transfer weight pressure to the lead leg - has the effect of keeping the back to target a tad longer & helps change the swing path through strike - along with that need to feel you're holding the handle in the lead hand nearer the bottom of the fingers so handle more in the fingers (not up in the palm under the thumb pad) plus the handle is more 90º to the fingers as opposed to being more diagonal across the palm

so in effect the lead hand on the handle then is in a similar position it would be if you were trying to lift up a heavy suitcase by the lead hand the suitcase handle would be a bunch nearer the base of the fingers & a bunch closer to 90º to the hand/fingers - you wouldn't try to pick a heavy suitcase with the lead hand with the handle running higher up in the palm under the thumbpad & also the suitcase lying diagonally as that would compromise the wrist angle

for sure a trip to a pga pro would be the best & quickest ways to have you back on track

Don't know how to slow it down but here is two more head on videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlE7VqC6v0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-ltytNUD4