Swing speeds!

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm always being told my swing is far to fast however could the problem be that I'm using graphite clubs?

The reason I bought graphites is because i bought a full set with drivers for £160.... i thought it was a bargain at the time however it could be costing me in the long run.

I know I have to slow down my swing but i'm sure if i played with steel shafts it would help. My hands are well past the ball before the club head is which is closing the face dramatically.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Far too fast.....no such thing. If you are not timing it well, that's a different story. What flex are your shafts? Most fast swing players would benefit from taking it a little easy, I guess, but if your technique is OK, there's no problem. Played today with a guy with the fastest swing I have ever seen......scary......he's got steel x stiff shafts and hits is great!! If I gave him one of my clubs to hit (reg graphite in the metal woods), he'd be almost unable to hit the ball I'm sure. On the short holes he was outdriving my 5 wood with his 5 iron (by some margin too!!)

If you have cheap graphite irons in reg flex, I doubt you'll be in a good position to improve your technique or find any consistency.

You need to video yourself and have a look at where your hands are at impact. It's an easy job to spot what's going on.

???Just my theory???

Dave

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always find that if I'm swinging too fast I need to grip the club lower down the grip and that seems to slow me down. You might well like to try it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its only your takeaway that can be too fast, when drawing the club back say into yourself 1,2,3 in almost a dancing on ice kind of way, it gives you more of a sense of rythem.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
minty, what clubs do you have? it is possible to out swing a club but only if the quality of the shaft is poor or not suited to you. I was doing it, anything over 70 left the face open because the shaft had far too much torque and my 'natural' swing is around 88. Generally, package sets will have 'lower quality' shafts.
To check the torque grasp the head and grip, then attempt to twist in opposite directions. If you can do it, without using undue force, you have too much torque.