Swing Plane and Clubface Alignment

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
So i have been getting a club face at impact of generally 3 degrees to 5 degrees normally open sometimes closed. As well as that my swing plane is generally between on plane to 3 degrees I/O. This seems to produce a decent fade. I rarely get slices or hooks, but struggling to get both numbers down.

When i get a better square or 1 to 2 degree clubface position, my swing plane figures get worse, so still fading somewhat. I really dont understand the relationship here. Ive went over my setup and grip with a pro, but still struggle to get both figures down.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A question for James or someone who understand D-plane me thinks.

I will ask a silly question though.

If your club face is 3°-5° open and your swing path is 3° in to out, wouldn't you hit a push as the angle of the club face and swing path are similar?

I take it these fugures are from Trackman?

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
A question for James or someone who understand D-plane me thinks.

I will ask a silly question though.

If your club face is 3°-5° open and your swing path is 3° in to out, wouldn't you hit a push as the angle of the club face and swing path are similar?

I take it these fugures are from Trackman?

No its a swing analyser 3bays.

Well the ball goes fades off right most of the time. The dispersion generally keeps me in the fairway, but i am only hitting 220 off the tee. Also the diagram shows fade. My consistency isnt there yet, my swing plane is normally 1-2 degrees and occasionally more.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have they changed the 3Bays software?

When I had one all it told you about path and face were open, square or closed, Not by how much.

I have the SkyPro one now, and they don't even try to measure face angle because it depends on how the shaft flexes during the downswing, so couldn't be accurate.

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have they changed the 3Bays software?

When I had one all it told you about path and face were open, square or closed, Not by how much.

I have the SkyPro one now, and they don't even try to measure face angle because it depends on how the shaft flexes during the downswing, so couldn't be accurate.

my bad im getting the degrees from David Leadbetter Swing Trainer software. I dont really know if it is 100% accurate, but i can generally feel when im off.

Last edited:

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Its very in depth, but its pretty annoying with having to reset everytime and stuff. The simstix is brilliant, because i cant do about 300 swings a day or so and not be exhausted. Also doesnt wake the missus up or smash my place up!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Going from the numbers, a slight push would be expected - depending on Angle of Attack. So setting up same amount left of centre (assuming rightee) would give a 'straight down the middle' or thereabouts shot.

Simulation is all well and good, but nothing beats reality - real club course/range, balls....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going from the numbers, a slight push would be expected - depending on Angle of Attack. So setting up same amount left of centre (assuming rightee) would give a 'straight down the middle' or thereabouts shot.

Simulation is all well and good, but nothing beats reality - real club course/range, balls....

I thought the same Foxy.

But saying that, would the AoA would have some effect in the flight?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
do you mean ball placement left of centre?

on a side note,i was trying to add club lag at cast point as thought this would help square up but makes figures worse.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

on a side note,i was trying to add club lag at cast point as thought this would help square up but makes figures worse.

Doesn't matter you place the ball, though further left (for a rightee) will encourage/is likely to produce a lower AofA.

No idea what you mean by 'cast point' and 'add club lag' is a bit iffy too. You/we could be well into 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' territory!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

In my limited understanding, the further left the ball is positioned in the stance (... For a right hander) the shallower the AoA will be. When you get to the driver ball position, the angle should be level or moving into a positive AoA.

The reverse would be the case if the ball were to move back or centre, increasing the AoA.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you mean set up left at address?dinnae ken.

Aligning Shoulders, Hips, and Feet(Heels). Aiming. Open stance

That way, the slight push that the stats indicate ends up as a straight down the middle shot.

If you hunt down stats from Pros, they are generally about the numbers your good shots have. Shows the concept of 'square' is actually something of an illusion.

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Aligning Shoulders, Hips, and Feet(Heels). Aiming. Open stance

That way, the slight push that the stats indicate ends up as a straight down the middle shot.

If you hunt down stats from Pros, they are generally about the numbers your good shots have. Shows the concept of 'square' is actually something of an illusion.

Great thanks.