Swing like Hogan

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree.
The 'engineers' get hold of it and write umpteen books about it eg 'the Golf Machine' and just make it way too complicated.
A bit like teaching a child how to walk from a book.

Simplified...........
You only need to know 2 things in the golf swing..............
How to hit (contact)
Where to hit it (direction)
That's it.
KISS

My kind of thinking.

Then as you advance understanding what the ball flight means, so you can change your hit, but how you make that change is not prescriptive.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In any other similar action to hitting a golf ball our brain knows exactly how our body should move to produce the correct delivery of an object to its target. Young kids do it perfectly until someone confuses them by explaining how the wrists, arms, shoulders, torso, hips, knees and feet should move.
Do they? Certainly none, initially, that I've seen! But they certainly do it 'naturally'. And there are many coaches who insist on corrupting 'natural' movements to instil a particular style on students. I'm certain that method, that can certainly produce great golfers - e.g. lots of top South African players have a distinctly Hogan-esque swing - puts as many off as it promotes!

But I agree that it's better to 'guide' as opposed to 'insist' on many of the changes 'needed' to improve raw talent. 'Feedback' is the best training aid imo and hitting into a 50 (or even less) yard net - with a Launch Mon showing the result - is certainly an effective piece of feedback kit!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
My golf game having being in decline for years suddenly surprised me a couple of days ago. I had a hole in one. As I've now had 2 holes in one I might have equalled or surpassed Hogan.
Odds of a hole in one are apparently 2,500 to 1 for a tour player and 12,500 to 1 for the average player.

"It has often been reported that Ben Hogan never had a hole in one. But, according to Mancil Davis, director of golf operations for the National Hole in One Association, Hogan had two aces."

PS. The rest of my round was patchy and included a 10.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do they? Certainly none, initially, that I've seen! But they certainly do it 'naturally'. And there are many coaches who insist on corrupting 'natural' movements to instil a particular style on students. I'm certain that method, that can certainly produce great golfers - e.g. lots of top South African players have a distinctly Hogan-esque swing - puts as many off as it promotes!

But I agree that it's better to 'guide' as opposed to 'insist' on many of the changes 'needed' to improve raw talent. 'Feedback' is the best training aid imo and hitting into a 50 (or even less) yard net - with a Launch Mon showing the result - is certainly an effective piece of feedback kit!

Lots of kids I have seen in multiple sports naturally develop good mechanics. They may need guidance as to what the task is, for example in golf that you don't lift the ball with the club, but if they clearly understand the task, they develop the correct mechanics naturally. This is how humans learn all motor patterns when growing up (from walking to eating and writing - notice with all these the goal is clear, but no one told you angles, joint positions, muscles to fire etc..), yet for some reason golfers think their movement is special and normal human motor learning doesn't apply. This is why I believe average handicaps haven't changed much despite the technology available and how much elite scoring has changed.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My golf game having being in decline for years suddenly surprised me a couple of days ago. I had a hole in one. As I've now had 2 holes in one I might have equalled or surpassed Hogan.
Odds of a hole in one are apparently 2,500 to 1 for a tour player and 12,500 to 1 for the average player.

"It has often been reported that Ben Hogan never had a hole in one. But, according to Mancil Davis, director of golf operations for the National Hole in One Association, Hogan had two aces."

PS. The rest of my round was patchy and included a 10.

Mo Norman had 17 holes in one, 3 59s and 33 course records, that’s some achievement

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I discovered Hogan about 15 years ago after reading an article about him. I read a couple of biographies and bought his 5 lessons to see if some of the magic would rub off. Like Hogan I am about 5'7 and weigh around 11 stone, so could relate to much of what he preached regarding the flat plane and shallow angles.
I also picked up a book by David Leadbetter where he effectively critiques the 5 lessons and puts his own slant on what Hogan says. This book is brilliant because he explains why certain things worked for the great man, but would never work for your average Joe; for example Hogan being a natural lefty, having larger than average hands and extra flexible joints in his thumbs and wrists. Definitely worth a look and may address some of the questions previously posted.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yet Jack Nicklaus, I've read, had small hands and big feet. He also had an interlocking grip, which I've tried but with little success.
Seve Ballesteros, I also read, had either his right arm longer than his left or a lower right shoulder which provided him with an advantage.
So Hogan almost certainly had some sort of advantage for the swing which mere mortals like me don't have. It has been suggested he was naturally able to lower his right elbow below the swing plane.
I've never been able to get much out of Leadbetter, other than he put his own interpretation on the Leslie King method which Nicklaus found interesting but then asked how it was actually achieved.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
So Hogan almost certainly had some sort of advantage for the swing which mere mortals like me don't have. It has been suggested he was naturally able to lower his right elbow below the swing plane.
I've never been able to get much out of Leadbetter, .

Not true, I have it on authority that you yourself have a unique set of physical advantages that would make you the greatest golfer EVER, if you could just be arsed to work on and develop them.