swing check please

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say I'm no swing guru but I do recognise a good set up when I see it. Great to see someone spending time on alignment and using clubs to ensure everything is in line.

Swing wise it didn't look too shabby. Nice and short and a good extension and follow through. A few questions:

What do you play off
What is your real bad shot
Do you find under pressure that short swing either gets much longer or becomes even shorter and more jerky?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very good!

I liked it......with an action like that, any problems ought to be ironed out in no time.

How's your grip? What's the bad shot?

stevepick

Visit site
What do you play off
What is your real bad shot
Do you find under pressure that short swing either gets much longer or becomes even shorter and more jerky?

Hi, haven't got a handicap at the mo trying to get 3 cards in, used to play off 5 15 years ago but gave up. My real bad shot is pull hook most of the time, with the occasional big block. Grips fine think I probably get jerkier when under pressure. Problem is the course I play is very tight so most tee shots are tense.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, haven't got a handicap at the mo trying to get 3 cards in, used to play off 5 15 years ago but gave up. My real bad shot is pull hook most of the time, with the occasional big block. Grips fine think I probably get jerkier when under pressure. Problem is the course I play is very tight so most tee shots are tense.

Tight courses are a pain, you have my sympathy. I know the trouble myself, hit a fair shot and pay a HUGE penalty.

Pull hook and block sounds bad, a right mixture of path and face. How long have you been back playing?

I've been playing nearly two years and it's only now that the "mixture" of shots is gradually going.

I went on a launch monitor the other week and was surprised to see the variation in swings, but it is getting better. Yours will too, I hope.

B

birdieman

For what it's worth I think you have a pretty good action.

If there is anything I think you need to stand a little more upright at address and have the ball closer to you. The distance between your hands and your body just before takeaway is perhaps too wide, this can keep the arms working separately from the body which you dont want. It might be the reason for the inconsistency.

Pretty smooth action with good tempo, if you can take that swing onto the course you'll do fine.

Nice finish.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like a super swing. There's not much apart from more practice that can help consistancy. You can try slowing yourself down with a pre-shot routine to keep you focused on every shot, and try to envisage your shots fully before making them. Do you feel like you lose balance when you hit your bad shots? ..swinging too hard on the ocassional shot perhaps?

Regards...

stevepick

Visit site
Cheers for all your input gents. Been back playing about 3 months probably practice about 3 times a week. Will definitely try your suggestions out. I almost certainly swing hard on a few shots, unless I make a consious effort to slow right down i naturally semi lash at the ball. a bad habit I fall into is taking the club away on the inside, possibly standing more upright could eradicate this. Will let you knoe how I get on. thanks again

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
unless I make a consious effort to slow right down i naturally semi lash at the ball.
There's nothing wrong with having your own tempo or hitting into the ball hard.

a bad habit I fall into is taking the club away on the inside, possibly standing more upright could eradicate this.
Actually the more upright you get, the flatter your swing gets and you have to start lifting the club with your hands, which is bad.

You have a good posture your weight looks a fraction over your toes. At most a miniscule lift up of your shoulders (one or two inches only) may help you to stay more balanced but I'd be tempted to not even go there, just try to eradicate your bad shots by figuring out what is causing them.

It's fairly normal for people to swing way too flat when they try and really thrash one outta there, (did it myself at least 4 times today) so when you really gotta rip one try and make sure that the club gets up on plane in the initial part of the swing and doesn't disappear round behind your right hip at all, otherwise you have to literally spin your body round to hit the ball (in which case it could go anywhere) or else throw the club over the top and pull/slice it. Neither of which is recommended :D